Obesity

13»

Comments

• Catherine21
    Catherine21 Community member Posts: 1,453 Pioneering

Personally I wouldn't trust any drug thier pushing Covid being an example they really don't have people's best intreast thats my option

• vikki66
    vikki66 Community member Posts: 866 Empowering

You’re right in what you say about depression, trauma, etc, etc, and there’s also weight-gain that is the result of conditions, and prescribed medications. As you say, the reasons for ‘obesity’ are very complex, and are very different for different people.

I know two diabetics who had bad reactions to those prescribed injections (I won’t say the names of the drugs, as you’re probably not meant to). These are relatively new drugs to the market, and are in no way a problem-free solution.

If somebody doesn’t want to have one of these jabs, and would prefer to have access to therapies which try to address (for example) their depression or trauma, would this be an option? Or is the ‘investment’ that’s meant to be helping relieve the burden on the NHS only available to the world’s largest drug company?

• Nightcity
    Nightcity Community member Posts: 1,178 Trailblazing
  • vikki66

Genuinely full of admiration for anybody who can achieve this in the face of multiple adversities.

I used to be (ED) thin, and have had people I’ve not seen for years (and who don’t know what’s happened in the intervening years) not recognise me.

Anybody can end up in a different place that they didn’t ever imagine would happen to them. ❤️💚

• Luna51
    Luna51 Community member Posts: 293 Empowering

The idea of therapy for weight loss would a great option, not everyone wants medication, just some help to understand why some folk do overeat and what can be done to support them and understand how to break the cycle of overeating.

Plus, let's not forget it can also be down to economics, as cheaper food can often be the least healthy, people who cannot work don't have endless funds (and I know people who do work often don't either!) to buy good quality, healthy food.

Yes, it is complex and as you said, very different for everyone.

• vikki66

There was an article published in today’s BMJ: Weight Loss Drugs For The Unemployed - How Will The Government’s New Trial Work.

I can only read the exerpt. Any doctors around who can read and share?

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,466 Championing
    edited October 17

Having read through this thread, I'd say from a medical point of view that the goal of obesity management is to improve health.

As far as Covid & flu vaccines go, they're offered to those whom the medical community has identified as benefitting from them, which guides the govt of the day. I see the govt's handbook on this was last revised last month as far as Covid-19 goes:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/66e7fbf624c4f1826d81bb32/Greenbook-chapter-14a-20240916.pdf Vaccines on the whole are really safe; very rare (here in the UK reported as 15 people in a million) occurrences of a serious side effect occurred with one of the Covid-19 vaccines, AstraZeneca, which is no longer offered.

I hope we can therefore have confidence in such vaccines. Looking at both sides of things we did see instances of some of our members following a Covid vaccination suffering from shoulder injury related to vaccine administration (SIRVA). This is due to the vaccine being incorrectly being administered into the shoulder joint rather than into the deltoid muscle. Historically this had happened with other vaccines, so was nothing new with the Covid-19 vaccine.

Apologies for digressing, but anyone offered Covid-19 & other vaccines should have confidence in them; they reduce serious side-effects & the risk of hospitalisation.

I don't think anyone would be against those needing GLP-1 RAs for their usual medical indication, but then this thread went on to discuss 'obesity' in general, at least so it seemed to me. I don't think anyone was being adversarial, so appreciate their discomfort.

I'm also one for a person being able to access any care that helps their well-being, & remain open to discussing this. Altho exercise can help with weight loss, this is often difficult for a considered 'overweight' person who happens to be disabled.

As @Luna51 identifies, & from what I remember reading some time ago, it can be difficult to reduce weight, as it seems a person may yo-yo back & forth from a certain weight, which seems to often be the normal way of things. Also I'm wholly with the holistic way of looking at things; you simply can't separate the mind & body, so the whole person needs support. The number of times I'd wished I could have a rheumatologist, neurologist, neurosurgeon & geneticist all in one room going over my problems, & that's just looking at the physical side of things!

All of our problems, both physical & mental, & both equally important, are what unites us as a disabled community.

Been typing this for a while & just saw your query about the BMJ paper @vikki66 - like yourself I can only see the abstract (don't think we have any Drs here), but did find this on the govt website:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mhra-approves-glp-1-receptor-agonist-semaglutide-to-reduce-risk-of-serious-heart-problems-in-obese-or-overweight-adults

• vikki66

I saw that too, but it was the headline in the BMJ “Weight Loss Drugs For The Unemployed…” that caught my eye, it’s pretty specific.

Pur*** managed to persuade the US that they were purely in it to help with pain, until it was shown this wasn’t the case at all. If anybody wants to believe that big pharma is only in it because they want to improve global wellbeing, I don’t have enough life left to waste on arguing that case, but everybody is welcome to their own thoughts/ beliefs/ opinions…

I’m not sure if you’re somehow trying to make a case linking covid vaccines to semaglutide injections??? I’m genuinely puzzled as to why you would’ve gone on at such length in this context if you weren’t trying to link the two? If you are somehow linking the two, I’d be interested to hear what you think the connection is.

The comments on here from posters who have mentioned their own weight-struggles were largely about the political rhetoric around this issue. And I think, given how quick some others were to agree that it’s a purely altruistic proposal from the government, that I for one am left more, not less, alarmed.

You always say, in spite of daily evidence to the contrary, that there’s a united disabled community who are all about supporting each other - I’m not sure where you think this exists, but I’ve certainly not felt it myself on this forum. There are plenty of good people here for sure, but there’s no unity - unfortunately.

• chiarieds

Hi @vikki66 - I was purely concerned at Catherine21 being scared about vaccines as not trusting the govt., & wanted to assure anyone later reading this post as to their safety. Perhaps re-read what I said.

I'm certainly not a fan of big pharma either, oh nothing to do with the money they'll make! I'm not in the least disagreeing with your comment about this.

Sorry, can't help your viewpoint & how you feel about this forum…I have faith in it otherwise I wouldn't be part of it. I would certainly categorically say that the vast majority of members are supportive, helpful & don't have any ill intent whatsoever.

• vikki66

I’m sure @Catherine21 will appreciate that you were so concerned about her wellbeing.

There are good people here, I haven’t said that’s not the case.

Goodnight

• chiarieds
    edited 00:02

I'm concerned about everyone's well being, otherwise I wouldn't have commented. The one thing I do know a little about is some medical stuff.

Members will disagree with one another, which is par for the course. What we hopefully shouldn't do is an ad hominem attack, rather disagree with a member's comments; sometimes not tagging a person can also be seen as being 'passive aggresive.' Sometimes however an ad hominem attack can be justified; I do honestly try to look at both sides of everything.

We're not always going to think the same, but why do you feel we're not unified in trying to help each other?

Sorry, as I've previously said, that I offended you. You're not saying why has left me feeling like I shouldn't be here, when I truly want to be, as Scope matters to me. Others feel the same (not about your comments); that's where there are sometimes difficulties when members feel they need take a break they don't necessarily want; adverse comments can, & do, drive some members away. We should perhaps be always mindful about how we comment.

• Catherine21

Oh no I didn't want to cause any debate I should of thought before writing that as It is a big statement thankyou your caring this is a great forum and trust me I have many debates you both been so kind supportive on many occasions to me I've felt like that at times like I'm leaving this site god I kicked off big time and I'm so grateful that I came back on this is invaluable to us and we all generally care for each other we bond with soke people more than others I'm so grateful to you all sorry to cause upset you guys are amazing to me x

• Catherine21