For my daughter
Hello.I am asking for advice for my daughter. She is 23, and has long term health issues - she has shunts fitted as she produces too much fluid on her brain, so it drains off into her stomach. She also suffers from a lot of gynaecological issues, for which she's already had surgery, and will have more. She has been doing a degree, away from home, for the last two years. Her health has suffered greatly, so she has had to drop out in her last year. She applied for ESA, and today got a letter saying she'd not paid enough N.I to qualify. She was told she cannot apply for income based either, as her partner, who she lives with, does part time work and is a full time student. She's at a loss now. She cannot work due to her disabilities, and she cannot sign on as fit for work. Can anyone advise on what she can do now please? She has zero income for herself.
- 54.1K All Categories
- 10.6K Start here and say hello!
- 5.1K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities
- 156 Community updates
- 12.1K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 797 Work and employment
- 589 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 292 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 266 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.7K Talk about money
- 2.2K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.6K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.1K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 688 Chronic pain and pain management
- 707 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 759 Autism and neurodiversity
- 938 Mental health and wellbeing
- 311 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.