If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Not heard anything about PIP review

Options
Katy84
Katy84 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hi, I've still not heard anything about my PIP review. I filled the form in in November 2022. Received a text from them in February 2023 saying they would be reviewing my claim shortly. Still not heard anything back and today is the 21st March. Tempted to just leave it, but seems like it would be left indefinitely in that case. The same thing happened with my ESA. I filled the form in for that in June 2022. Never heard anything back. I'm still receiving both benefits, so it seems like why rock the boat? What do people think? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,235 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's long delays with PIP reviews so you could be waiting a considerable length of time. We have members here still waiting more than a year after returning their form. Your PIP will continue until a decision is made on the review.

For ESA, i'm assuming this is either your first work capability assessment or you've reported a change of health condition because reviews are suspended.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Katy84 said:
    Hi, I've still not heard anything about my PIP review. I filled the form in in November 2022. Received a text from them in February 2023 saying they would be reviewing my claim shortly. Still not heard anything back and today is the 21st March. Tempted to just leave it, but seems like it would be left indefinitely in that case. The same thing happened with my ESA. I filled the form in for that in June 2022. Never heard anything back. I'm still receiving both benefits, so it seems like why rock the boat? What do people think? 

Reviews are currently suspended so you won't get called in anytime soon. You could be waiting a while. I'm assuming its a change of circs, since you are being paid...no ESA50 for reviews have been sent out since before 2020.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • poppy123456
    Options
    JBS2022 said:
    Katy84 said:
    no ESA50 for reviews have been sent out since before 2020.
    I don't think it's quite as long as that. I received my last ESA50 form just as the pandemic started in March 2020. Shortly after that they were suspended. My review that time was paper based.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • HayleyRX
    HayleyRX Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Options
    I waited 15 months for my assessment. Its just a waiting game. X
  • Katy84
    Options
    Hi, thanks everyone for your comments. I'm not sure how to reply to individual comments on here. 

To clarify, I was sent a letter for a review of my ESA last year and sent that back in June. It was not for a first assessment or for a change in condition. It was for a review. After receiving the form a few days later I received a letter saying I had been awarded ESA, as if I had just been assessed. I queried this with the DWP who told me that letter was probably a mistake and to go ahead and fill the form in. I did do and never heard anything back. 

Can anyone clarify, are PIP reviews suspended as well now or is that just ESA? Thanks. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PIP reviews are not suspended. ESA reviews have been suspended for almost 3 years so I don’t understand how you were sent a form last year. 
  • JBS2022
    JBS2022 Scope Member Posts: 2,075 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Katy84 said:
    Hi, thanks everyone for your comments. I'm not sure how to reply to individual comments on here. 

To clarify, I was sent a letter for a review of my ESA last year and sent that back in June. It was not for a first assessment or for a change in condition. It was for a review. After receiving the form a few days later I received a letter saying I had been awarded ESA, as if I had just been assessed. I queried this with the DWP who told me that letter was probably a mistake and to go ahead and fill the form in. I did do and never heard anything back. 

Can anyone clarify, are PIP reviews suspended as well now or is that just ESA? Thanks. 
    ESA reviews are suspended and will be for a long time yet, I'm assuming being sent the form was a mistake since they haven't sent ESA50 review forms for a couple of years. PIP is still being reviewed.
    Life is better in a fishtank  🐟
  • Katy84
    Options
    Ok thanks. I can imagine being sent the ESA form was a mistake. Love how the DWP person I spoke to didn't even know it was a mistake and told me to fill it in though! So I went through the stress of filling it in and waiting for nothing!
  • Katy84
    Options
    HayleyRX said:

Ok, so anyone know? If you wait 15 months to have an assessment, this means you're being assessed on things you said 15 months ago. So, what if your condition has changed during this time? Are they assessing you on how you were when you filled the form in? Or how you are in the present? 

Will they backdate it to the date you sent the form in? And how long does your claim last for then? Will it be 3 years from the date you filled the form in? In which case you'll be due to fill another form in in about 21 months? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Katy84 said:
    HayleyRX said:

Ok, so anyone know? If you wait 15 months to have an assessment, this means you're being assessed on things you said 15 months ago. So, what if your condition has changed during this time? Are they assessing you on how you were when you filled the form in? Or how you are in the present? 

Will they backdate it to the date you sent the form in? And how long does your claim last for then? Will it be 3 years from the date you filled the form in? In which case you'll be due to fill another form in in about 21 months? 

If your condition changes while you wait you can always send them extra evidence but remember a worsening of condition doesn't automatically entitle anyone to more points.

In normal times if it's a review started by DWP they don't usually owe any money if your new award is higher. However, because of the backlogs some people have been owed money from the difference between their new award and their previous award but not everyone.

Your new award will have a new review date, if you were owed money the new award will start from an earlier date. If there's no money owed then it will start from when the decision was made. As for the timescale not everyone has a 3 year award, some have less, some have longer. While people are waiting for the review decision their existing award will continue.
  • Katy84
    Options
    Katy84 said:
    HayleyRX said:

If your condition changes while you wait you can always send them extra evidence but remember a worsening of condition doesn't automatically entitle anyone to more points.

In normal times if it's a review started by DWP they don't usually owe any money if your new award is higher. However, because of the backlogs some people have been owed money from the difference between their new award and their previous award but not everyone.

Your new award will have a new review date, if you were owed money the new award will start from an earlier date. If there's no money owed then it will start from when the decision was made. As for the timescale not everyone has a 3 year award, some have less, some have longer. While people are waiting for the review decision their existing award will continue.

Sorry, not sure I understand all that. Just wondered, would your claim last from the date you filled the form in, or from the date you had the assessment? So say if it's 3 years, would it be 3 years from when you sent the form, or 3 years from when they awarded you the money, even if this is say 15 months later? Thanks.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It depends what the award is. If it's the same award it will be from the date of the decision. If it's a higher award it will either be from the date of the decision, if they decide there's no money owed.Or from the date it's backdated to if there's money owed. Some are owed money, some not.
  • Katy84
    Options
    Katy84 said:
    HayleyRX said:

Sorry, not sure I understand all that. Just wondered, would your claim last from the date you filled the form in, or from the date you had the review? So say if it's 3 years, would it be 3 years from when you sent the form, or 3 years from when they awarded you the money, even if this is say 15 months later? Thanks.
  • Katy84
    Options
    It depends what the award is. If it's the same award it will be from the date of the decision. If it's a higher award it will either be from the date of the decision, if they decide there's no money owed.Or from the date it's backdated to if there's money owed. Some are owed money, some not.
    Ok, thanks I think I understand that.

(Ps. Not sure why my last post posted twice!)
  • HelenT2
    HelenT2 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    I returned my PIP form back in Sept 22  and so far all I have received is a text message telling me that they have my form and are progressing my claim-whatever that means. This whole situtation leaves me feeling very anxious and depressed which does nothing for my mental health.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about how this has made you feel @HelenT2, have you spoken to anyone about your mental health? Are you getting any support from your GP at the moment?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • HelenT2
    Options
    Hello.
    My GP is pretty good. The mental health team just suggested I use a mindfulness app which is fine when you are feeling relatively stable but completely useless when things become overwhelming.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Indeed @HelenT2 that makes sense. It's positive to hear that you feel supported by your GP.

When things become overwhelming I can recommend calling Samaritans on 116 123 or emailing jo@samaritans.org. The team are there to listen, even just for a chat to process things. 

You can also text 'SHOUT' to 85258 any time for free if you prefer :)

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you are having a tough day, the community is here to support you.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • HelenT2
    Options
    Hello again
    Has the DWP given any reason as to why they have a backlog of PIP renewals? Is it becuase of Covid or just their own convuluted procedures?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,133 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My understanding is that there have been so many new PIP claims, that the DWP are prioritising these. This makes sense, as those that have already been awarded PIP have monies in payment already, but new claimants have to have assessments (usually), & a decision made, before those successfully awarded will get any money at all.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.