Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Not heard anything about PIP review

Options
13»

Comments

• Katy84
    Katy84 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    As I said, my decision letter did not tell me how long PIP had been awarded for. It only said that I had been awarded PIP. That's why I asked. I did not know how long it had been awarded for, let alone that I had the right to challenge the decision on the length of the award. Anyone have any idea about this please? Thanks. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Katy84 said:
    Ok, I see your points. My perspective is: a doctor should know how a condition may potentially affect someone. They know what the condition is don't they. All you need to do is tell them how it affects you personally, they don't need to spend time with you.
    Knowing how your condition "may potentially" affect you isn't going to help. Of course they will know what the condition is but that isn't going to help a PIP claim because it's not about a diagnosis. If you tell them how your conditions affect you then that's just hearsay. None of that is needed because your real world incidents is all that's really needed.

Katy84 said:
    As for the thing about working - PIP is needed in order to pay for things. I'm aware you can claim PIP if you work. But for someone too ill to work PIP is vital because it means you can have a reasonable standard of living instead of having to only rely on ESA. The current way of doing things I think is not serving disabled people as best it could do. It could do a lot better. 

PIP is for the extra costs a disability may incur but having a disability doesn't automatically entitle anyone to PIP.  Some people with disabilities will not qualify because if they don't meet the descriptors, they won't score the points needed for an award. Being too ill to work is irrelevant.
    Katy84 said:
    As I said, my decision letter did not tell me how long PIP had been awarded for. It only said that I had been awarded PIP. That's why I asked. I did not know how long it had been awarded for, let alone that I had the right to challenge the decision on the length of the award. Anyone have any idea about this please? Thanks. 

On the first page of your decision letter it will tell you what award you have, when it starts from and when it's awarded up until.

Yes, you can challenge the length of the award, even if you're happy with the award itself. When you do this you need to make sure you tell them that you're happy with the award itself and just want to challenge the length. You need to state why you think you should be awarded for a longer period of time.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Katy84
    Katy84 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Yes, again as I said. My letter did not tell me how long the award was for. It does not say when it is from or til. 

I may have to assume the DWP is just inconsistent in their communications with people. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Having claimed PIP for almost 10 years for myself and had 3 assessments in that time, as well as 3 assessments for my daughter since 2017. (i'm her appointee) I've never known a decision letter not to state the award length.
    Having helped thousands of people i've never heard of a decision letter not to state this information.
    Once you have the decision on your review, if successfully awarded and the decision letter doesn't tell you the award length then you can ring PIP to ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HelenT2
    HelenT2 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
    With all due respect to Poppy 123456 I did try and contact the DWP to ask for an extension on my renewal form and just couldn't get through. 
    In the end, I had to send them a "Without Prejudice" letter which seemed to suffice. 

• ella1992
    ella1992 Community member Posts: 198 Courageous
    Options
    I sent my reivw fourm today recorded delivery aimexty about this 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @HelenT2 and @ella1992 How are you both doing this weekend?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.