Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Not heard anything about PIP review

Options

Comments

• HelenT2
    HelenT2 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    Options
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 11,128 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My understanding is that it could take 12-16 weeks unfortunately 
  • HayleyRX
    HayleyRX Community member Posts: 72 Courageous
    Options
    They will assess you as of now. Ask what medication your on or new conditions. My interview lasted 50 minutes. Waiting on a decision now :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,055 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My understanding is that it could take 12-16 weeks unfortunately 

Your understanding isn't correct. As has been advised, there's extremely long delays with PIP reviews and it's possible it could be as long as 1 year, maybe even longer. We have members still waiting 18 months after returning the form.
    There's many other threads here with the same questions about review timescales, all with the same answers.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • HelenT2
    Options
    Typical DWP.
    They bullied me into returning the form as soon as possible (last September) and then prolong the wait for a decision. They are not fit for purpose.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh no @HelenT2. I really hear your frustrations  :( How is everything for you at the moment?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • HelenT2
    Options
    Not Great,
    I am considering getting some legal advice as to suing the DWP for causing me unnecessary stress and anxiety.
    I am seeing my therapist on Weds of this week so I am hoping that my session with her will help.
    Thanks for asking.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    With all due respect, it's not been that long since you returned your forms. There's many others waiting much longer than yourself. When you filled out the form they would have given extra time to return it had you rang to ask them.

The reason why there's such long delays is because since Covid there's been a huge amount of extra people starting a claim for PIP so they've been concentrating on those for quite sometime.

Their reason for this is because those that already have a PIP award are receiving some money to help with any extra costs related to their disability. Those that have started a new claim will not have any extra money to help with this cost, so their claims are being processed much quicker.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    HelenT2 said:
    Not Great,
    I am considering getting some legal advice as to suing the DWP for causing me unnecessary stress and anxiety.
    I am seeing my therapist on Weds of this week so I am hoping that my session with her will help.
    Thanks for asking.
    Hi,
    Why? DWP are overworked and understaffed; they are also having to deal with a phenomenal number of new claims as well as having to contemplate reviews (which have been pushed back to complete new claims).
    Attempting to take DWP to court because your condition is causing you stress and anxiety isn`t going to make your stress and anxiety any less. 
    There are delays and there is nothing you, I or anyone else, can do unfortunately. 
    I would just find something else to keep you occupied and wait until you hear when you hear.
    Andy

• Katy84
    Katy84 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    With all the stress and anxiety that waiting for PIP reviews can cause, and the fact that the DWP are overwhelmed by claims to deal with - is there any way of getting, for example a doctor, to declare that you are likely to be disabled for life and so your benefits should be awarded for life? Instead of having to go through repeated reviews? Does anyone know of anyone who has done this, or whether or not it can be done? Thanks.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,147 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately if you want to claim a disability benefit, then you have to go through the process. You can always try asking for your claim to be longer, but Drs don't know how you cope with most activities of daily living as everyone is different even with the same condition. The longest PIP award is for 10 years, but most are only for 2-3 years duration.
  • Katy84
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Unfortunately if you want to claim a disability benefit, then you have to go through the process. You can always try asking for your claim to be longer, but Drs don't know how you cope with most activities of daily living as everyone is different even with the same condition. The longest PIP award is for 10 years, but most are only for 2-3 years duration.
    Ok thanks. It seems like it would be easier on everyone though, if there was a way to get lifetime disability awards for some people, if it looked like your disability would be lifelong. I'm sure a lot of people's are. And all you need to do is tell your doctor how you cope. It's just a conversation. If it was worked into the system I'm sure it could work and maybe make the whole system work better on the whole. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    A doctor or a GP will very rarely know how your conditions affect you because they don’t spend any time with you know see you complete the activities. If you tell them then it’s just “hearsay.” This is why GP letters are never the best evidence to send.
    Having a disability doesn’t automatically entitle anyone to PIP. 
    There’s no lift time PIP awards, the longest is 10 years as chiarieds has correctly advised. 
  • Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    Katy84 said:
    chiarieds said:
    Ok thanks. It seems like it would be easier on everyone though, if there was a way to get lifetime disability awards for some people, if it looked like your disability would be lifelong. I'm sure a lot of people's are. And all you need to do is tell your doctor how you cope. It's just a conversation. If it was worked into the system I'm sure it could work and maybe make the whole system work better on the whole. 
    Hi,
    It`s down to you to argue your corner. I helped a friend of mine who has Parkinson`s Disease complete a Mandatory Reconsideration because she was awarded only 3 years.  This is the content of that MR:

I am writing to ask you to reconsider your decision dated 25th October 2021 about my Personal Independence Payment claim.

I had very little help when completing my PIP application, therefore when I was awarded a date limited award I wasn`t aware that I could appeal the length of that award.  I have now been advised that I can appeal the length of the award, therefore I would like you to consider the following:

Daily Living Activities

Not contested.

Mobility Activities

Not contested.

Length of award

Contested.

I have been diagnosed with Parkinsonism; this is an incurable, and progressive, medical condition. 

I wish to contest the date of 10th October 2024 on the basis that my condition will not improve nor will I get better.

The result of her MR was that her award was changed from 3 years to "ongoing" (10 years).
    Andy

• Katy84
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm just wondering, with regard length of the award. How does one even know how long they have been awarded PIP for. The last time I was awarded it I was not told anything about how long it was awarded for. Only advised by an independent person that it might be for about 2 years. Thanks.
  • Katy84
    Options
    A doctor or a GP will very rarely know how your conditions affect you because they don’t spend any time with you know see you complete the activities. If you tell them then it’s just “hearsay.” This is why GP letters are never the best evidence to send.
    There’s no lift time PIP awards, the longest is 10 years as chiarieds has correctly advised. 
    I completely disagree, as doctors know how conditions affect people, so what you tell them about how it's affecting you is hardly 'hearsay'. If they are happy with your diagnosis, it will only make sense to them when you tell them how you are affected. 
    A good doctor should really be aware of how conditions affect people and how it might make it difficult for you to work, and also how these things can affect a person's mental health. In an ideal situation of course. Therefore, ideally doctors should be able to recommend that a person be awarded benefits. That's if you have a good doctor who listens to you and who is aware, which is a rare thing to find.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Katy84 said:
    How does one even know how long they have been awarded PIP for. The last time I was awarded it I was not told anything about how long it was awarded for. Only advised by an independent person that it might be for about 2 years. Thanks.

It will tell you on the decision letter.
    Katy84 said:
    I completely disagree, as doctors know how conditions affect people, so what you tell them about how it's affecting you is hardly 'hearsay'. If they are happy with your diagnosis, it will only make sense to them when you tell them how you are affected. 
    A good doctor should really be aware of how conditions affect people and how it might make it difficult for you to work, and also how these things can affect a person's mental health. In an ideal situation of course. Therefore, ideally doctors should be able to recommend that a person be awarded benefits. That's if you have a good doctor who listens to you and who is aware, which is a rare thing to find.

You're entitled to your opinion, in the same way i am. However, a doctor or a GP doesn't spend any time with you to see you wash/dress/undress/prepare a meal/make budgeting decisions etc etc, which are part of the PIP descriptors.

PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis. You can have 2 people with the same diagnosis, one maybe entitled to PIP but the other may not be because we are all affected differently by these conditions and you never get 2 people the same.

You mention working but PIP has nothing to do with your ability to work. People claim PIP and work.

This is why letters from a GP are never the best evidence to send. The best evidence is your anecdotal evidence because you are the only person that knows exactly how your conditions affect you.
  • kitkat23
    kitkat23 Community member Posts: 56 Pioneering
    Options
    A doctor can never know how you are affected....it is far too individual....it will always be hearsay .....several people with the same condition  will be affected differently....some may qualify for pup....some may not ...I would not rely on a gp report 
  • kitkat23
    kitkat23 Community member Posts: 56 Pioneering
    Options
    Ps....I work...I claim pip .....it doesn't mean I don't meet the descriptors....my gp has no knowledge of my abilities in my home 
  • Katy84
    Options
    Ok, I see your points. My perspective is: a doctor should know how a condition may potentially affect someone. They know what the condition is don't they. All you need to do is tell them how it affects you personally, they don't need to spend time with you. As for the thing about working - PIP is needed in order to pay for things. I'm aware you can claim PIP if you work. But for someone too ill to work PIP is vital because it means you can have a reasonable standard of living instead of having to only rely on ESA. The current way of doing things I think is not serving disabled people as best it could do. It could do a lot better. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.