If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sdp backdated payment

Options
sd100
sd100 Community member Posts: 126 Courageous
Hi I’m new, any help much appreciated.
I was sent an is10 form recently and filled it in and sent it back quite promptly as it’s not the largest form I’ve been sent.
I phoned them a few weeks later to make sure they recieved it which they have and the lady said to me it looks like you haven’t been getting the sdp premium on your benefit, I was confused because being in the support group esa income related I always thought the money I get had a premium already added but the lady said no that’s something else apparantley I have not been getting the sdp part every week because I’m also on pip standard living. I didn’t think much of it until she said it was £69 a week I should be getting extra a a week.😯 that means for past 10 years I haven’t been getting that and potentially means I will be backdated all that time, I’m a bit overwhelmed as it would be quite a large chunk of money,but I know the dwp will try to find some way of getting out of paying it. I called them again on Friday and the person I spoke to said he can’t confirm it but potentially yes I could be due a massive backdated payment but as it’s not him and someone else working on my case there is nothing else he could tell me. Any advice would be much appreciated x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,097 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I answered your question with this reply on another thread you posted on.
    It will be down to a decision maker to look at your claim to see if there's any entitlement. As this is for 10 years you could be waiting longer for any money that maybe owed. The SDP should be put into payment quite quickly.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sd100
    Options
    Thanks poppy123456 for reply I’m new sorry I can’t see reply to other thread😔
  • sd100
    Options
    It will be down to a decision maker to look at your claim to see if there's any entitlement. As this is for 10 years you could be waiting longer for any money that maybe owed. The SDP should be put into payment quite quickly.

The thing is I fit all the criteria as I live alone and nobody gets carers allowance for me, what decision could decision possibly make apart from awarding me moneys I’ve been missing for past 10 years?
  • sd100
    Options
    sorry I meant to write what decision could decision maker possibly make apart from backdating me moneys not paid.
  • sd100
    Options

Still learning to navigate this site apologies, can I ask if I am found to fit the criteria would I actually be backdated 10 years of underpayment seems like a long time and a lot of money?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sd100 said:

The other thread you posted the same question on is here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/670927#Comment_670927
    sd100 said:

The thing is I fit all the criteria as I live alone and nobody gets carers allowance for me, what decision could decision possibly make apart from awarding me moneys I’ve been missing for past 10 years?

10 years is a long time they will need to look at your circumstances going back all those years. As i advised, if entitled to it going forward then it will be included in your ESA quite quickly. How long the decision will take for the 10 years, i have no idea.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sd100
    Options
    sd100 said:

The other thread you posted the same question on is here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/670927#Comment_670927
    sd100 said:

10 years is a long time they will need to look at your circumstances going back all those years. As i advised, if entitled to it going forward then it will be included in your ESA quite quickly. How long the decision will take for the 10 years, i have no idea.

Thank you poppy123456 sorry again if posting or replying in wrong places
  • sd100
    Options
    Can I ask has anyone heard of a 10 year back payment before or is it quite rare?
  • sd100
    Options
    Also should I just trust the dwp with whatever figures they come up with or contact a benefits advisor of some kind?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sd100 said:
    Can I ask has anyone heard of a 10 year back payment before or is it quite rare?
    It has been known and isn’t as rare as you think. 
    It’s entirely up to you whether you contact an advice agency but you will need to wait for the decision letter before doing so, 
  • sd100
    Options
    Again thanks poppy123456 you are very helpful, you mentioned I would get the payments themselves added quite quickly? Should I expect the premium to be added to my next payment of esa? 
  • sd100
    Options
    And am I right in thinking the extra sdp premium is extra money on top of 117 a week for being in support group?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2023
    Options
    sd100 said:
    And am I right in thinking the extra sdp premium is extra money on top of 117 a week for being in support group?
    The SDP is addition to the calculation of any income based addition which also includes EDP. The amount of income based ESA actually paid will depend on whether you have any deductions to take into account.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I have no idea if it will be included in your next payment.
    sd100 said:
    That rate is contributions based. If you’re claiming Income Related then the amount is £135.35/week, without the SDP.
    Do you have any other income such as pensions? Do you have savings/capital of more than £16,000? 
  • sd100
    Options
    No I don’t have any saving even close to that much. Yes I meant the 135 sorry will sdp premium be added onto that amount weekly?
  • sd100
    Options
    Im having money deducted from an overpayment years ago will they deduct any money I owe them if I am given a lump sum? It’s being taken out of my esa every time I get paid already, so if I’m paid a sim will they minus what I owe them from it or continue the payment plan as is for paying them back?
  • sd100
    Options
    sd100 said:
    Im having money deducted from an overpayment years ago will they deduct any money I owe them if I am given a lump sum? It’s being taken out of my esa every time I get paid already, so if I’m paid a sim will they minus what I owe them from it or continue the payment plan as is for paying them back?
    sd100 said:
    sd100 said:

• sd100
    Options
    A sum* not sim
  • sd100
    Options
    And no I don’t have pension I am not of that age and don’t have any other income apart from esa and pip
  • sd100
    Options
    calcotti said:
    sd100 said:
    The SDP is addition to the calculation of any income based addition which also includes EDP. The amount of income based ESA actually paid will depend on whether you have any deductions to take into account.
    Thanks for reply, it’s very much sounding like I could be due back pay as even the esa person I spoke to said he can’t guarantee it as it’s not his case  but it looks very likely that that is the case, I’m a bit shell shocked to be honest, didn’t know such large amounts could slip through the cracks.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.