I thought UC LCWRA re-assessments were on hold (for people already getting LCWRA)? But... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I thought UC LCWRA re-assessments were on hold (for people already getting LCWRA)? But...

Options
StillIRise
StillIRise Community member Posts: 178 Pioneering

Hi, I have been on UC, LWCRA group for 36 months for a severe mental health condition. Yesterday I received a message on my journal asking for their permission to contact my doctor and saying that I am “due” a work capability assessment.  I rang UC up today to ask them about it as I’ve not received an assessment appointment or UC50 form.  They told me that this is a RE-assessment and that it looks like they are just trying to confirm with my doctor that my health condition remains the same rather than actually giving me any kind of face to face or telephone assessment.  

Does that sound right?

Anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,701 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Reviews for UC work capability assessments have started back for some people, not everyone. They have been putting messages on some peoples journals asking for contact details of your GP. Of course you don't have to give them those details.

Before they can assess you they will refer you for the work capability assessment, which will be the next step shortly. You will know when you've been referred because you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you this. Then within the following week you will receive the UC50 form in the post which you will need to fill in and return with all your evidence.

There's been quite a few people on here that have had this same message, followed by the referral letter.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • StillIRise
    Options
    Reviews for UC work capability assessments have started back for some people, not everyone. They have been putting messages on some peoples journals asking for contact details of your GP. Of course you don't have to give them those details.

Before they can assess you they will refer you for the work capability assessment, which will be the next step shortly. You will know when you've been referred because you'll receive a letter on your journal telling you this. Then within the following week you will receive the UC50 form in the post which you will need to fill in and return with all your evidence.

There's been quite a few people on here that have had this same message, followed by the referral letter.
    Thanks.  What is the point of them contacting me beforehand to request GP details?  Wouldn't you be entering those on the form anyway?  Why do they need it in advance?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I agree and i have no idea why they are doing it this way. I've never known them do this before.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • StillIRise
    Options
    I agree and i have no idea why they are doing it this way. I've never known them do this before.
    What a horrible nightmare.  There's my mental health shot for the next several months while I wait for the outcome.

I've read through the other posts on here but not yet seen anyone mention the GP request message being followed by the referral letter and actually receiving the UC50 form.  Many of them seem to be saying they just got the referral letter and UC50 form but not this weird message about the GP.
  • paries1
    paries1 Community member Posts: 380 Pioneering
    Options
    I got the exact same message as you this week . I replied to it in the other thread though . What a nightmare for us , and so it begins ! 
  • StillIRise
    Options
    paries1 said:
    I got the exact same message as you this week . I replied to it in the other thread though . What a nightmare for us , and so it begins ! 
    Hi, how are you?

I've read your message.  So I see you got that strange GP message earlier this week.  Have you actually received this referral letter people are referring to?  Or a UC50 form.

Because I've now spoken to a friend who is also on UC and due a re-assessment and she received a referral letter and then a UC50 form the next day in the post, but she didn't receive this GP message thing at all.  

It seems some of us are receiving the GP message while others are just receiving a referral letter very promptly followed by a UC50 form arriving in the post.
  • paries1
    Options
    Maybe they are actually contacting some GPs before the referral ? 
    The message I received did say that but I suppose it’s DWP so anything goes 😬
  • StillIRise
    Options
    paries1 said:
    The wording was very specific wasn't it?  If you don't reply/ give us permission to speak to your GP by  (certain date) , we will go ahead and make a decision without this.  

It looks like you got the GP message on Tuesday (?) and nothing further yet?  Did you go ahead and give them permission to speak to your GP?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I know of a few people that got this message and then received a referral letter on their journal after that. 
  • paries1
    Options
    paries1 said:
    The wording was very specific wasn't it?  If you don't reply/ give us permission to speak to your GP by  (certain date) , we will go ahead and make a decision without this.  

It looks like you got the GP message on Tuesday (?) and nothing further yet?  Did you go ahead and give them permission to speak to your GP?
    Yes that’s exactly what my message said too , “ if you don’t give us consent we’ll make a decision “
    TBH I think it’s probably best to to expect to be referred. 
  • paries1
    Options
    Yes I got the message earlier in the week , but they actually did try and call me last week too . I never answer my phone unless I know who it is , when I googled the number it was DWP , a feeling of panic and sickness quickly came over me . You know that horrible feeling we all get when being harassed by these people . 
  • paries1
    Options
    I did give them permission to speak to my GP , my GP is hopeless so I’m not expecting much support from them. 
  • StillIRise
    Options
    paries1 said:
    Yes I got the message earlier in the week , but they actually did try and call me last week too . I never answer my phone unless I know who it is , when I googled the number it was DWP , a feeling of panic and sickness quickly came over me . You know that horrible feeling we all get when being harassed by these people . 
    Actually I got a call from a number I didn't recognise last week.  I answered it and the person either didn't hear me or was a weirdo.  I will Google the number now.
  • StillIRise
    Options
    paries1 said:
    I did give them permission to speak to my GP , my GP is hopeless so I’m not expecting much support from them. 
    I gave them contact info for my Consultant at the community mental health team.  I don't even have a named GP at my surgery.
  • paries1
    Options
    paries1 said:
    I gave them contact info for my Consultant at the community mental health team.  I don't even have a named GP at my surgery.
    Oh I was on an intense therapy programme but that finished last year and I’m still waiting for another referral. Are you on any meds ? If they speak to your Consultant before the referral it might be good for you . 
  • StillIRise
    Options
    paries1 said:
    paries1 said:
    Oh I was on an intense therapy programme but that finished last year and I’m still waiting for another referral. Are you on any meds ? If they speak to your Consultant before the referral it might be good for you . 
    I'm on an antipsychotic called Risperidone and on another medication called Pregabalin which they use "off-label" to treat severe anxiety.  

Are you on any meds if you don't mind me asking?

I do find it strange that you've not received the referral letter from them saying you've been referred for an assessment.  It's possibly they really are going to contact the doctor first.  Stranger things have happened lol. 
  • paries1
    Options
    paries1 said:
    paries1 said:
    I'm on an antipsychotic called Risperidone and on another medication called Pregabalin which they use "off-label" to treat severe anxiety.  

I do find it strange that you've not received the referral letter from them saying you've been referred for an assessment.  It's possibly they really are going to contact the doctor first.  Stranger things have happened lol. 
    I also get an anti psychotic and anti anxiety. 
    What a nightmare this is ? I was only saying a few weeks ago that if they leave me alone until the end of the year early next year I’ll try and look for part time work and come off LCWRA, not really ready to atm though . 

You know maybe they will contact some GPs before to ask about meds / therapy etc. I’m expecting the worse though and think checking my journal daily for referral letter . 
  • paries1
    Options
    paries1 said:
    paries1 said:

Let’s see what happens and update each other on here 
  • Ray212
    Ray212 Community member Posts: 364 Pioneering
    Options
    Not that they asked but contacting a doctor would be pointless in my case. I have been on the same antidepressants for years and changed surgery some time ago and they haven't even seen me about my issues. In fact last year I said to the doctor that I don't think the tablets are doing much and she just said they are very addictive tablets so get yourself off them and then contact us. I couldn't believe what I had heard. So just carried on with them. So even if they were to contact the doctors they will just say they haven't seen me for the issues I am talking about. :/
  • StillIRise
    Options
    paries1 said:
    paries1 said:
    paries1 said:

I also get an anti psychotic and anti anxiety. 
    What a nightmare this is ? I was only saying a few weeks ago that if they leave me alone until the end of the year early next year I’ll try and look for part time work and come off LCWRA, not really ready to atm though . 

You know maybe they will contact some GPs before to ask about meds / therapy etc. I’m expecting the worse though and think checking my journal daily for referral letter . 
    Same here.  I was hoping they'd leave me be until next year at which point I'd hopefully be a little better.

I just did my PIP Review form this past December and had loads of evidence and I guess I can use some of it for UC if need be.  I've recently been assessed by Social Services as needing a Carer twice a day for my Daily Care needs.  That is depressing that I'm in such a state, but I suppose the Social Services Care Plan can be used as evidence. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.