Being Employed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Being Employed

Options
wendy1
wendy1 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
Hi Folks, I've just heard about what this Government is planning to do to Disabled and Benefits people to make them work or lose their benefits. In my situation, I cant go out to work as I'm in pain everyday and my mental health has caused me to not being able to concentrate, so how can I work. They should put a gun to our heads and pull the trigger. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's been so many threads on this. What i've read so far is that this isn't aimed at disabled people. It's aimed at those that are claiming UC and just receiving the standard allowance. If they refuse to look for work then their UC could stop. However, it's all speculation at the moment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wendy1
    Options
    Sorry poppy123456, I didn't know I had tag you
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You didn't tag me. It's just a message that i have on my signature and it appears on every comment i made, unless you have signatures turned off and then you won't see it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • wendy1
    Options
    I've  just seen an article about my previous post and it does include Disabled and Benefits people 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Everything we've read up to now is all speculation, we may know more today after the budget.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Heya @wendy1 as Poppy has said it's all just speculation and nothing is set in stone, so please try not to worry too much.  We've set up a post here so we can all talk about it and support each other. 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • wendy1
    Options
    Hi, I would be greatful if someone could post on here the when available the outcome of the new plans concerning the Disabled and Benefits people. Thank You.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    There's a full thread here related to it. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/112187/the-autumn-statement-2023#latest Everything stays exactly as it is now. Changes maybe made for new claims from 2025 but there's a GE before that. All we need to know right now is that nothing changes for now.
  • wendy1
    edited November 2023
    Options
    So I was correct, Disabled and Benefits people are going to be made to work or lose their benefits because off the plans this Government are going to impose. I'll tell you something for nothing, there will be a lot of deaths on the Government's hands :(
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No, you are not correct, that's not what was said yesterday. Sanctions will only apply to those looking for work, if they don't engage with work related activitiy after a period of 18 months. It doesn't apply to those that have been found to have either LCW or LCWRA.
  • wendy1
    Options
    I am correct, it's all Disabled and Benefits people that there talking about
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,702 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wendy1 said:
    I have to correct you as some of our members who are worried might believe you, you are not correct there are NO plans to make disabled people work or lose benefits, if you read back through this thread and others you might understand what they are proposing.
    <bangs head on wall again !)  :)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Options
    wendy1 said:
    Im sorry but you’re not correct!!! Everything will remain as it is now for existing claimants with LCW and LCWRA. 

Where exactly are you reading this? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Please read this link and take note of this here…

It is important to note that these changes will not affect existing claims. It will apply to new claims only and won’t be implemented until 2025.

It’s also important to add that we have a general election coming up so these possible changes may not even happen. 
  • wendy1
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I heard about the new plans on the news and also on Google. How can the say a specific number of people that it will affect if its only for new claimants 
  • wendy1
    Options
  • wendy1
    Options
    That link I have posted talks about Disabled and Benefits people and also mentions people that deemed unfit to work will lose their benefits if the don't engage in work. So tell me where I am wrong. 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2023
    Options
    That's a screenshot and i can't click on it to read it. Those that are either LCW or LCWRA will not be forced to work!! I've advised you quite a few times now and i even provided a link for you from the scope website that says exactly this.

It's job seekers that would be sanctioned if they don't look for work.
  • noman
    noman Community member Posts: 580 Pioneering
    Options
  • wendy1
    Options
    So what does LCW & LCWRA stand for

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.