If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How Does our Garden Grow?

Options

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,365 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Haha @birdwatcher that did make me laugh. I don't own a cat any more but I have the neighbourhood cats in my garden and encourage them. 1 neighbour asked everyone not to encourage him as he goes away for days. Then I got stalked as he was having non of it lol. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,714 Scope online community team
    Options
    We've spied a couple of rats in our garden, cleaning up after the birds, so we're trying to put down the "no mess" bird food. The neighbours garden is fairly overgrown with decking and a couple of sheds, so it's ideal for them to live in.  It's unfortunate as the young rats look really cute and I want to be their friend, but I'm sure over time I'd have far too many friends.  :D

I've also just bought some slug killing nematodes, so hopefully the garden wont get eaten again this year. I like the natural approach. :
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 264 Pioneering
    Options
    We've spied a couple of rats in our garden, cleaning up after the birds, so we're trying to put down the "no mess" bird food. The neighbours garden is fairly overgrown with decking and a couple of sheds, so it's ideal for them to live in.  It's unfortunate as the young rats look really cute and I want to be their friend, but I'm sure over time I'd have far too many friends.  :D

I've also just bought some slug killing nematodes, so hopefully the garden wont get eaten again this year. I like the natural approach. :
    just plant a few extra job done 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    My entire veggie patch was demolished by slugs last year @michael57 nothing we tried worked against the mob. We unfortunately have the invasive species of slug that seems to breed stupidly quickly and has quite the appetite.  :s 
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Neurodivergent.
  • michael57
    Options
    run copper pipe around it that will detract them crushed egg shells wool pellets or sharp horticultural grit will help 
  • WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 764 Pioneering
    Options
    I've had a running battle for 20 years with slugs ... tried everything ... I swear they're SAS trained

It's not unknown for me to be out in the garden in just my boxers and holding a torch after rain, slug hunting.  Not sure why my neighbours think I'm weird ... 
  • michael57
    Options
    WelshBlue said:
    I've had a running battle for 20 years with slugs ... tried everything ... I swear they're SAS trained

It's not unknown for me to be out in the garden in just my boxers and holding a torch after rain, slug hunting.  Not sure why my neighbours think I'm weird ... 
    that is the best time to catch them for sure i do it so being weird is ok but dawnie recons i am weird anyway welcome to the club 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    A dish of beer i heard is good also cats eats snails they crush them with there paw then eat it, gross I know
  • michael57
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    A dish of beer i heard is good also cats eats snails they crush them with there paw then eat it, gross I know
    heat beer and dead drunk slugs absolutely revolting smell haha 
  • onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    I'm the odd ball you find out in the garden of a night with a torch and a pair of scissors. Those big massive slugs with the orange frilly bit demolish everything! But I leave the leopard slugs alone because they are meant to be ok, I think.
    I chuck snails over the fence I to next doors garden 🤭
  • michael57
    Options
    I'm the odd ball you find out in the garden of a night with a torch and a pair of scissors. Those big massive slugs with the orange frilly bit demolish everything! But I leave the leopard slugs alone because they are meant to be ok, I think.
    I chuck snails over the fence I to next doors garden 🤭
    chuck em over next doors garden haha our neighbours spy on me when dawnie is out so i dont think i could get away with that 
  • Sandy_123
    edited May 3
    Options
    The image of you all in the garden at night with torches and hunting, not  a sport I've taken up lol
  • michael57
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    The image of you all in the garden at night with torches and hunting, not  a sport I've taken up lol
    dont knock it till you try it i crack dawnie up when i do it with my david bellamy voice 
  • Albus_Scope
    Options

Yes, leopard slugs eat other slugs and wont eat live plants, so they're friends to me haha. We had one living in our kitchen over the winter. 

The huge ones are the newer Spanish slugs that have invaded the UK, apparently once they get that big, many predators wont touch them and they are very prolific breeders. 

Hopefully inoculating my garden with lots of microscopic, slug eating nematodes will help keep the garden safe for a few months. 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Teigr
    Teigr Community member Posts: 3,603 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Rats wouldn't stand a chance in our garden @Albus_Scope,next door's cat is a fanatical hunter.
  • Albus_Scope
    Options
    Please send their cat over to us please @Teigr ours is far too arthritic to do anything other than watch the birds.  :D 
    Albus (he/him)

Neurodivergent.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    This is now blooming 

• Teigr
    Teigr Community member Posts: 3,603 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've seen her running around with dead rats that are almost as big as she is @Albus_Scope.

Very pretty @Sandy_123.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,206 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 572 Pioneering
    Options
    @Albus_Scope I am not sure how you would like rats as friends or how they look cute, but each to his own! Michael Jackson liked his friend Ben!

I had one in my garden. He/she used to come up from a hole in the ground, so I guess it was like a tunnel. I poured bleach etc down the hole and the rat came no more to visit. Then I accidentally run one over on the pavement while  driving my mobility scooter. He/she jumped up on the running board and I was absolutely terrified.

I am ok with slugs and snails though.

To be serious I would like to do something with my front yard and get it to  look nice, but I am not much of a gardener (I can do the very basics) so will probably have to ask some questions. I don't think I will get very far. But here is saying thank you to the gardeners who do make their place look nice.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.