If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How Does our Garden Grow?

Options

Comments

• michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Options
    Ada said:
    Well they say you get what you pay for. All my seeds have been growing lovely all the flowers and various salads. Still a little way to go.  But the flowers stems are so very thin one little puff of wind they be gone. 

most of mine are out by day in by night longer out than in now tho to harden them off its all good fun 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    michael57 said:
    Ada said:
    Well they say you get what you pay for. All my seeds have been growing lovely all the flowers and various salads. Still a little way to go.  But the flowers stems are so very thin one little puff of wind they be gone. 

most of mine are out by day in by night longer out than in now tho to harden them off its all good fun 
    michael57      That’s what I’m doing. But I can protect them from any winds out back on a wall against with next door fence behind them. But the flowers are for my tiny front garden eventually. But we live up a dead end lane. Where any winds that come up is worse then anywhere it’s quite harsh. 
    I can defo see them blown away. 
    I didn’t do anything last year. Because I couldn’t afford to. I did have a lot of sky scrapers lilies that I was very proud of but they all got trashed one night. 
    I couldn’t afford it again this year. I just managed a few packs from the online pound shop. Their growing ok. But definitely not looking very good. 
    Its a little upsetting 
  • michael57
    Options
    Ada said:
    michael57 said:
    Ada said:

michael57      That’s what I’m doing. But I can protect them from any winds out back on a wall against with next door fence behind them. But the flowers are for my tiny front garden eventually. But we live up a dead end lane. Where any winds that come up is worse then anywhere it’s quite harsh. 
    I can defo see them blown away. 
    I didn’t do anything last year. Because I couldn’t afford to. I did have a lot of sky scrapers lilies that I was very proud of but they all got trashed one night. 
    I couldn’t afford it again this year. I just managed a few packs from the online pound shop. Their growing ok. But definitely not looking very good. 
    Its a little upsetting 
    ah the joys of gardening how about some of those multi coloured beach surrounds if you know what i mean 
  • onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Options
    @Ada have you started them off by seed indoors?
    Sometimes they can grow 'leggy' if they don't have enough light or if you have too many seeds planted together. That's my usual mistake because some of those seeds are so small,  I end up dumping a whole  packet in one tray!
    To try to make those stems a bit stronger, you could try blowing a little fan on them when indoors 
    I'm absolutely no expert but got really into growing plants a few years back. I used to use one of those little usb charged mini fans and let it gently blow over them. It's meant to help strengthen stems as they grow. 👍 
    I've really really had to limit my plant growing this year and badly miss it. I do have lots of perennials coming back through though and Ive also gone for the direct sow, scatter and throw, keep your fingers crossed approach 🤞😁

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,489 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @JudithL that looks nice too 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @onedayatatime Thank you lovely. I started them in a greenhouse. I have been growing from seeds and bulbs for years. But first time I went very cheap. Not that is a excuse. I’m definitely going to try your idea. Thank you xx
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I hope you are all looking forward to the end of spring and the start of summer so you can do your plantings.

I am going to need some advice. I am going to be a pain - I am sorry in advance.

I want to grow herbs ('cos I like cooking). But my first question is can I re-use compost?
  • onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 84 Pioneering
    Options
    The compost part can definitely get expensive. I swear my garden is 2 ft taller than before I started getting into gardening 🤣
    I'm sure more experienced gardeners will have good advice for you.
    Personally I look at some of the old compost from pots and if it looks half decent, sieve it and half and half it with fresh compost.
    Some people sterilise old compost in microwaves or different methods first.
    What herbs are you growing? Dill looks so pretty and a great one for summer dips and salads and chives.
    I cheat a lot and also buy the reduced herb pots from well known supermarkets 👍
    Enjoy your gardening.
  • michael57
    Options
    used compost is very good for the garden patchy lawns and very good for getting good sized carrots a good depth of it makes them go down deeper to look for the better nutrients i reuse some by half filling pots with old top up with new then when you over water the used compost holds the nutrients better 
  • michael57
    Options
    Ada I have been giving your front garden some thought my she who must be obeyed says it's dangerous but how about some ground cover phlox flowers in april may its evergreen or even the one behind geum come in a variety of types cut the flower stems off when spent  and they will reflower multiple times very wind tolerate 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Love the flame light @michael57 im going to get some lights today 
  • michael57
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Love the flame light @michael57 im going to get some lights today 
    thanks cheap as chips from pound stretcher i think helps me land the helicopter in the dark haha  
  • Pauline_S
    Pauline_S Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    Options
    Beautiful pics @Beaver79! I don't have much luck with flowers, but I do well with veggies. 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Look nice @Albus_Scope I've bought 4 lights so far @michael57 today only 79p each 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,729 Scope online community team
    Options
    They'll help keep the bugs away from my lunch  :D  

We've got a few of the same type of light, they're still going from last year, cracking value. :)
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • michael57
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    Look nice @Albus_Scope I've bought 4 lights so far @michael57 today only 79p each 
    wicked nice bargain
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Those 10p plants that were looking worse for ware, have picked up, last few days I've put then in the sun watered them and took the dead leaves off. Just planted them in ground now, so hopefully they take 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 21,801 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have had this little tree for three years and for the first time it has flowered this year. I got very excited. Small things I know. Also my Japanese Maple  I like red and green leaves.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.