Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

How Does our Garden Grow?

Options

Comments

• onedayatatime
    onedayatatime Community member Posts: 95 Pioneering
    Options
    @Steve_in_The_City
    I accidentally run one over on the pavement while driving my mobility scooter. He/she jumped up on the running board and I was absolutely terrified.
    I'm sorry, but whilst that must have been terrifying, it did make me laugh!
    They really can jump and can be very aggressive! Somewhere in my head I remember being told never to corner one. Or that might be from reading the book Rats by James Herbert as a kid.  
  • Steve_in_The_City
    Steve_in_The_City Scope Member Posts: 601 Pioneering
    Options
    @onedayatatime I have never read the book, but I just know I don't like rats! Have a good rat free day! Steve.
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 294 Pioneering
    Options
    Nice cheap cold frame
  • michael57
    Options
    should get some brownie points from the neighbours when there gifted 👌 
  • onedayatatime
    Options
    I'm off to investigate the lupin situation this morning. There's a bunch of lupins the sparrows seem very interested in. Now I know there are big fat juicy aphids on them and I thought they are just eating them, flying back to the nests with them for those chicks. But I read online that the sparrows get a taste for the nectar and strip the flowers? Have I been blaming super slugs this whole time?? Are these sparrows just not happy with mealworms and suet pellets??? Will the lupins survive!!????
  • michael57
    Options
    I'm off to investigate the lupin situation this morning. There's a bunch of lupins the sparrows seem very interested in. Now I know there are big fat juicy aphids on them and I thought they are just eating them, flying back to the nests with them for those chicks. But I read online that the sparrows get a taste for the nectar and strip the flowers? Have I been blaming super slugs this whole time?? Are these sparrows just not happy with mealworms and suet pellets??? Will the lupins survive!!????
    you are correct they do get a taste for the nectar when in flower if there not in flower i would say they are after greenfly aphids they visit our garden and jump on the geum stems bend them over and eat the greenfly hungry has to be fed 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 53,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My b&m hoard got 13 in total can't fit them all in sink 
  • onedayatatime
    Options
    @michael57 I had no idea about that and you're spot on, it's the only lupin a flower right now. At the moment they seem to have stripped one plant but also keeping busy with those aphids 👍
    @Sandy_123 that's a great hoard!! Do I spot a reduced 10p sticker in there!!?? What a bargain! 😂 A bit of tlc will bring them back.
    I love this time of year! 
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Yes got a couple reduced hopefully those 1s will take off
  • michael57
    Options
    @michael57 I had no idea about that and you're spot on, it's the only lupin a flower right now. At the moment they seem to have stripped one plant but also keeping busy with those aphids 👍
    @Sandy_123 that's a great hoard!! Do I spot a reduced 10p sticker in there!!?? What a bargain! 😂 A bit of tlc will bring them back.
    I love this time of year! 
    i have my uses haha
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 22,580 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 7
    Options
    Some of my plants I got today from the garden centre also the three hanging pots.

I think we both had a good shop @Sandy_123

Next door likes weeds. You cannot see them when in my garden as fence hides them thank goodness.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    They look lovely @Beaver79 lots of nice colours 
  • Beaver79
    Beaver79 Community member, Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 22,580 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Some other parts of my garden.
  • Beaver79
    edited May 7
    Options
    Thanks @Sandy_123 Your 10p ones should come back with plenty of watering and some sun. Good buy.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Your garden plants and flowers look lovely @Beaver79, mine never get established like yours in mine. 
  • Beaver79
    Options
    Thank you @Sandy_123 It is a shame your flowers do not get established. It makes it easier when you only have to top up each year.
  • onedayatatime
    Options
    That's such a lovely selection of colours and textures @Beaver79 . I've only got a few plants flowering at the moment but fingers crossed it all comes right soon.
    I have a single lupin flowering right now. 😁 I did grow some Honesty that's flowering and am super chuffed with a single Snow Tower echium that survived the winter. 
    Can I ask what the white flower is in your second picture? I like the way it fans out and has so many flowers. There's a few spots in my garden I'd like to fill and that looks ideal.

• JudithL
    JudithL Community member Posts: 77 Courageous
    Options
    The path to our guesthouse. I think this is my favourite part of the garden. 
  • Beaver79
    edited May 8
    Options
    Hi @onedayatatime Thank you. The white flower is an azalea. 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 15,516 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Well they say you get what you pay for. All my seeds have been growing lovely all the flowers and various salads. Still a little way to go.  But the flowers stems are so very thin one little puff of wind they be gone. 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.