Buying a house as a wheelchair user

N826
N826 Scope Member Posts: 12 Listener

Hi,

I’m wanting to move out of my parent’s house to get more independence. I’ve tried to get on the council waiting list for homes but I’m not eligible as I’ve only been living in the area for nearly a year. I now am thinking of just buying a place without council help, however this would involve my parents having to pay as I’m a college student and can’t handle that and a paid job. I’m unsure of how exactly that works, I’ve tried looking it up but everywhere I look it just says it in a way I don’t understand, like I’m autistic too and so for me to understand things I need them to be simplified and straightforward. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it such as cost of buying a house and everything

Comments

• Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 2,006 Trailblazing
    edited July 29

Buying a House is extremely expensive

I don't know how old you are or what you are capable of - but are you sure that you can look after yourself ?

Initial costs - Survey - £500+

Deposit - £xx - anything from £10k to £50k….

Expenses - include mortgage repayments (£750 + per month), house insurance (around £250+ pa), rates (over £200 per month), living expenses (gas, electricity £100 + per month), food (£?) - general running costs - so all in all - perhaps £1500 to £2000 per month or even more

Can you afford this ?

on top of this - transport, entertainment …

see

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mortgages/first-time-buyers/cost-of-buying-your-first-home/

I paid my mortgage off aged 47 - 13 years ago - which is an incredible relief