Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

I'm just wondering what I should do?

Tatsuro Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, all and good morning! 

I signed up to this site as I'm wondering what I should do and what avenues to take in regards of benefits ect. I left University in July of last year with a 2:2 in Music, I took 5 years doing a 3 year course because of depression, social anxiety and agoraphobia which put the brakes on getting a higher grade. Ever since I left, I've been living with and off of my mother, I'm 29 years old (I was a late bloomer at Music, I was a footballer originally) and I've reverted back to the depression, agoraphobia and I cannot communicate with people other than my Mother and Brother who lives not far off, this has been going on since I left Uni and even at Uni was inept socially, due to my breaks had to change classes which ostracised myself more so. So this has been going on for the last year and a half and I've paid my way via the Student Loan/Grant.

I'm scared to go the doctors because it's hard enough communicating, I run up the stairs whenever the postman is posting a letter or when the phone goes off. I'm wondering if I were to go down the Benefit route what would I be entitled to and how to do I communicate with people in such places when I can't talk to people face to face. So I'm physically able, I can walk, do chores ect, use the Computer, I just have massive social interaction issues, social anxiety, depression and agoraphobia (I was assessed by Outlook South West in 2015).

I'm sorry to take up your time and all the best.
Jason (Not Tatsuro, a username of a favourite Japanese Musician)


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,131 Disability Gamechanger

    I think you should speak to your GP regarding your issues about your mental health and they will help you further regarding that.

    As for benefits, then unfortunately which ever route you take you will have to eventually speak to people to attend appointments etc. First you need to see what's in your area, if it's a full Universal Credit area then it will be this you need to claim and not ESA. Check here. If it's not UC then it will be Income Related ESA. UC needs to be claimed online and ESA needs to be claimed by ringing DWP.

    Both of those will need a fit/sick note from your GP and they will eventually send you for a face to face assessment to see if you're fit for work or not. You will also need evidence to support your claim to prove how your conditions affect you but the evidence won't be need straight away so don't worry about that. Hope this helps.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

    Hi Jason, I agree with @poppy123456 and additionally you might want to have a look at whether you should claim Personal Independence Payment.  You can read more about it here: If awarded, it would not reduce your ESA or Universal Credit (whichever you have to apply for) but would give you an additional income which may help in some ways.

    The Benefits Training Co:

  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    @Tatsuro firist let me congratulate you, you have done so well , you have worked heard to get where you are now ,so please never forget that ,you will find a lot of people going to uni find it hard to make friends as you do not have time for any thing then other then study , even when you go home in your break its studying , everyone has to adjust themselves going away and some times living with other people they have never met before, then when when you finished what you achieved you have to come back home and adjust all over again not easy for any person , did you not keep in contact with any one from uni or who you was sharing house with , drs are there to help people and listen to them , please tell the dr every thing they are there to help .x
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,790 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tatsuro, and a warm welcome to the community!

    Really glad to see you've had some guidance from other members and advisors. I hope you know that you're always welcome to come and chat to us here on the community, and we'll do our best to advise. Do have a look into the benefits mentioned above, and feel free to come back to us with any questions.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.