I'm just wondering what I should do? — Scope | Disability forum

I'm just wondering what I should do?

Tatsuro Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello, all and good morning! 

I signed up to this site as I'm wondering what I should do and what avenues to take in regards of benefits ect. I left University in July of last year with a 2:2 in Music, I took 5 years doing a 3 year course because of depression, social anxiety and agoraphobia which put the brakes on getting a higher grade. Ever since I left, I've been living with and off of my mother, I'm 29 years old (I was a late bloomer at Music, I was a footballer originally) and I've reverted back to the depression, agoraphobia and I cannot communicate with people other than my Mother and Brother who lives not far off, this has been going on since I left Uni and even at Uni was inept socially, due to my breaks had to change classes which ostracised myself more so. So this has been going on for the last year and a half and I've paid my way via the Student Loan/Grant.

I'm scared to go the doctors because it's hard enough communicating, I run up the stairs whenever the postman is posting a letter or when the phone goes off. I'm wondering if I were to go down the Benefit route what would I be entitled to and how to do I communicate with people in such places when I can't talk to people face to face. So I'm physically able, I can walk, do chores ect, use the Computer, I just have massive social interaction issues, social anxiety, depression and agoraphobia (I was assessed by Outlook South West in 2015).

I'm sorry to take up your time and all the best.
Jason (Not Tatsuro, a username of a favourite Japanese Musician)


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,703 Disability Gamechanger

    I think you should speak to your GP regarding your issues about your mental health and they will help you further regarding that.

    As for benefits, then unfortunately which ever route you take you will have to eventually speak to people to attend appointments etc. First you need to see what's in your area, if it's a full Universal Credit area then it will be this you need to claim and not ESA. Check here. http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate If it's not UC then it will be Income Related ESA. UC needs to be claimed online and ESA needs to be claimed by ringing DWP.

    Both of those will need a fit/sick note from your GP and they will eventually send you for a face to face assessment to see if you're fit for work or not. You will also need evidence to support your claim to prove how your conditions affect you but the evidence won't be need straight away so don't worry about that. Hope this helps.

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering

    Hi Jason, I agree with @poppy123456 and additionally you might want to have a look at whether you should claim Personal Independence Payment.  You can read more about it here: https://www.gov.uk/pip If awarded, it would not reduce your ESA or Universal Credit (whichever you have to apply for) but would give you an additional income which may help in some ways.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • topshoes
    topshoes Member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    @Tatsuro firist let me congratulate you, you have done so well , you have worked heard to get where you are now ,so please never forget that ,you will find a lot of people going to uni find it hard to make friends as you do not have time for any thing then other then study , even when you go home in your break its studying , everyone has to adjust themselves going away and some times living with other people they have never met before, then when when you finished what you achieved you have to come back home and adjust all over again not easy for any person , did you not keep in contact with any one from uni or who you was sharing house with , drs are there to help people and listen to them , please tell the dr every thing they are there to help .x
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tatsuro, and a warm welcome to the community!

    Really glad to see you've had some guidance from other members and advisors. I hope you know that you're always welcome to come and chat to us here on the community, and we'll do our best to advise. Do have a look into the benefits mentioned above, and feel free to come back to us with any questions.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.