Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

had esa assessment i am worried about outcome

hi 
i had a esa assessment last week this is the third time i have had one in 6 months since being put on the work related activity group. i rung up monday to see wether the decission maker has done anything yet and requested my report from that meeting i have had it but have found some quite alarming things in the report which i know isnt true i am worried as what they have put on it will stop my esa    

Replies

• janice_in_wonderlandjanice_in_wonderland Member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Wow that’s so stressful 
    so sorry to hear this 
    I hope you’re coping under the circumstances 
  • princess27princess27 Member Posts: 18 Connected
    not really i doesnt help with my anxiety i just feel like the job center just dont care if u have a mental health condition or not
  • BELLAcat2018BELLAcat2018 Member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi princess , have they actually reached a decision?  I take it by what you Have read that some of it or all of what they have written is complete rubbish!! I am just completing my ESA form , my second in 4 yrs as I am.in support group,  very stressful for all of us going through this .. stand your ground with them if something is not right , that's what I did 4 yrs ago and I'm prepared to do it again if I have to good luck!! 
    no i rung them up they said they hadnt made a decision yet. i was on the support group up til 6 months ago then was re assessed and got put on the work related activity group and that the finding they keep coming to but when i was put on the support group orginally i was not in any treatment or taking any meds but now i am i just loosing my wits with the lot of it 
    @princess27
    Its hard 
    Lots if ppl struggling 
    Focussing on solutions not the problems are challenging 

Lots of support here 
    @princess27, oh so you have been removed from support to wrag ? .. if you have health issues that are worse then I dont understand it , 
    Try not to worry,
    yer they took me off support 6 months ago put me on work related activity i saw the work coach at job center once in 6 months and he said at my interview then that i shouldnt of been put on work related activity. i am totally confused as well as i thought that considering i am under the care of the gp and have to see them every 3 weeks to check meds are working and i was doing cbt (cognitive behaviour therapy) that means to me my condition has got worse but the job center dont seem to be agreeing if very much like the left hand dont know what right hand doing 
    i try not to but it doesnt always work
    @princess27,
    It is a very stressful time , and I know its easy for me to say not to worry when I am worrying myself about my assessment whenever that will be .
    Have you asked your work Coach if he can give you a supporting letter maybe? ..just dont seem right,  all very confusing isn't it bless you.  I have CBT therapy at home myself 
    i have only seen him once so i dont think it be worth it. hopefully it goes ok for u it took them 2 years to do my first assessment that was cause i rung them up and said when is the assessment going to be. 
    @ princess27, oh I see , so he is not someone you are in contact with long term , well all I can do is hope  but if they think I am capable of work then they have a looks loose 
    I never contacted DWP regards to the assessment,  let's hope that things work out for us both 🙏
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    If you've received the ESA assessment report it should state in there the recommendations but you have to know what to look for and understand what it means. ESA assessment reports are more complicated to read the PIP assessment reports.

Take a closer look to see what recommendations there are, it will be there somewhere. The Decision maker usually goes with the report.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    yes i hope everything goes well

all it says in there that i suffer with aniexty and that i never worked full time so they couldnt assess if it would effect if get a full time job they dont think there a risk but there might be so very confusing
    Does it say that there's no substantial risk to you or others round you if you were not found to have limited capability for work or limited capability for work and work related activity?

Or does it say there would be a substantial risk to the claimant if they were found to have LCW or LCWRA?
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    it says "does not suggest there would be a substantial risk to the mental of physical health of any person if they were found capable of work or work related activity".

To me that means that they're recommending that reg 29 or 35 doesn't apply because there's no risk. You'll need to wait for the decision. Hopefully it won't be too long.
    Good luck and please do let us know the outcome.
    i have had the outcome of it now they have taken my esa off me saying that i am no longer intitled to it so i am now going through the process of apillling it 
    i have had the outcome of it now they have taken my esa off me saying that i am no longer intitled to it so i am now going through the process of apillling it 
    Good luck. Do bare in mind that if you claim Universal credit then you won't be able to go back onto ESA.
    theyve said that i needed to do that so i can have some money 
    Sounds as though the system is cornering people 

MOP were saying that UC ought not take so long to receive 

i hope youre going to receive income soon 
    theyve said that i needed to do that so i can have some money 
    Oh dear, i wish you had posted the outcome earlier. Sometimes the advice they give you isn't always the best. You'll remain on UC now, unfortunately.

I'd still carry on with the MR/Tribunal if it gets that far. If it does and the decision goes in your favour hopefully DWP will honour that decision and place you into the relevant group for UC. If you're sending in sick/fit notes for the UC claim then you may have a work capability assessment in the meantime.
    Hi princess27.
    What a bummer , the dwp will say and do anything  these days,  I don't trust them , I'm sorry your having to claim UC NOW,  I hope it does not take too long . I still have not heard back from when I sent my esa form on 26 Nov,  but I'm not expecting to now until after Christmas.  
    i know i was crying down the phone to them and the women on the other end of the phone said to me that the decission they have made is final and that i can do a mr but that wont been seen til after christmas
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear this @princess27, and I'm truly sorry to hear how it's affected you too. It doesn't change things, but I hope you know you're among others who understand and who may have been through similar experiences themselves, and will do what they can to support you.

If you do pursue an MR/tribunal, please do keep us updated. This Scope page on DWP appeals may be a good starting point.

• jw0957jw0957 Member Posts: 48 Connected
    Hi All, I had an ESA assessment that didn't go in my favor. I appealed but that came back with a negative decision. I'm now going to appeal via tribunal but I'm worried because the reconsideration letter only gave me to 19 Th December to appeal with a tribunal. I have been so stressed, anxious and depressed about this and my mental health has been affected again. Getting a Dr's appointment has been difficult with the run-up to Christmas and I'm not sure if the appeal court will accept my request now. I have worked so hard over the years to put my depression behind me but find that dark road is looming again. Who do I go to for help in making the appeal to the courts now that I'm late in sending it due to health issues? I've done nothing but cry because now I have little or no money left once my rent, council tax, and other essential bills are paid, to eat. Its either eat or heat as I can't do both. Going to the food banks aren't an option for me due to dietary needs. Im in a lot more pain because I'm cold and depressed and ready to give up altogether. Please, can someone guide me to the right people to help me? TIA
    Hi,

You actually have 13 months to request the Tribunal with good reason and your health would be good enough reason. You need to fill out the SSCS1 form and send the MR decision letter with the form. You can either download and print the form off online or go to your local CAB and they will give you the form.

You can also contact welfare rights or a law centre in your area for further help.

Since you were found fit for work what benefits if any did you claim? Universal credit?
    Poppy yes. UC, I know I wont be able t go back on ESA but I lost a lot of money when it changed to UC. My health is suffering badly and Im not sure I can come back from this unscathed mentally. I did it once before but now Im older and cant see my future being any less stressful or painful. Im 62 in Feb but I cant retire!! 
    The reason you lost a lot of money was most likely because you were in a group on ESA and since you were found fit for work, UC will pay you less.

For the ESA appeal if you were previously in one of the groups then it will help to know the reasons you were in there. If this still applies then you should base your appeal on that.
    Thank you Poppy, I was in the work-related group for 2 years, went on courses because I felt as if I didnt have a choice.

jw0957 i feel for you i am in the same situation i am on universal credit thanks to esa saying i am fit for work been to see my doc because luckly i had a pre booked appointment before i found out the discisson when i told she was not happy luckly she gave me a sick note saying that i am not fit for work due to my mental health i can feel for u on uc as they wont be paying my first payment til the 25th of jan which is not good 
    Princess, thankyou, your kind words over-whelms me. I've had a fit note in since they rang me and told me. My GP surgery doesn't have many apps but I hope to get one tomorrow. From my benefit I have 79p to buy food once the essential come out of it. My brothers and sisters as well as my daughter have gave me money as Christmas gifts so I could stay warm over the holidays as I don't get paid until 1 January (Paid 31st Dec) I've cried buckets because we don't normally give each other gifts at Christmas with having too many Grandchildren. They also bought me food I can eat due to my dietary needs. They cant keep helping me out as they have families but I know they will keep trying. 
    yer my family the same they sent food parcels over to help me out and someone at my church gave me a voucher for the local supermarket near me to by some bits luckly i did apply for an advance budget to try and get me through to my first payment but it didnt last long by the time i paid most of the bills and stuff i feel bad when people try and help me out as i want to do it on my own but its never easy i can understand with the dietary needs as i have to be careful what i eat aswell i really dont think the benefit people live in the real world because if they do they would see how much of a struggle it is to live on the limited money they give us
    edited December 2018
    Princess27, its not the people who work at the benefits office and it is unfair that they get a lot of bad calls. They have a job to do and Id hate to be in their shoes, yes you do get some advisors with a bad attitude towards benefit clients and unfortunately the good ones to often get the back lash or the sharp end  of someone's tongue. Its the Government that is the problem and THEY don't give a tinkers damn (that's the polite version of it) 
    i know the government is not very good i know some of the advisor in my local job centre have got a bit of an attitude problem they one who i spoke to last thursday was very nice but he was brought from a different office and probs wont see him there again
    I have a lovely advisor at the job center! trouble is he has arranged fr me to attend college because I said the jobs Ive applied for since going on Jobseekers are such that I would need to update my 8 yr old computer skills. Im worried sick that if im not well enough to attend, that I will be sanctioned. Its all just too much and Im ill with worry. :neutral:
    i am doing a part time uni/ college course i had to provide them with information about my course i dont always attend the course due to my mental health but luckly my tutor is very understanding they havent said anything about it yet but i expect they will on the 2nd when i go to the job centre. i am the same it made me worse in the last week i am just hoping they dont pile the pressure on like they did the last time when i was on job seekers as i dont know where to go if they do that 
    I had a mental breakdown in 2010 and it cost me my job with the NHS. I couldn't cope with the type of work I was doing,  It has took me a long time to put it behind ne but this current situation almost has me on my knees again. Im scared that I wont recover from it this time because I cant get away from the situation. I wish I didn't wake up most of the time and the I get proper upset at the though of leaving my daughter and sons behind to deal with it, Its a vicious merry go round and I desperately want to be off it. 
Sign in or join us to comment.