Room 101!!! - Page 6 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Room 101!!!

Options

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I know I'm in a minority, but butter in sandwiches. I hate it. 

Thank you for facilitating the outing of my colleagues' weaknesses @66Mustang. What power we all now have. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hi @66Mustang no but I saw a David Attenborough documentary showing how they bite a prey and aren’t bothered if the prey gets away because the bacteria in their mouths is so powerful it causes gangrene to set in super fast and that kills the prey. They can smell the rotting wound up to three miles or more away. They gave me the creeps!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Because this just happened to me, that feeling of wanting to sneeze for ages but never sneezing
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Options
    People who are really abusive to disabled people. I got called a “disabled b****” in the park today. I also got other abuse which I am not going to put on here. 

However, I fed my little squirrel family afterwards so I felt a bit better. 

However, why do people think it’s okay to swear at complete strangers and then say horrible things like that? I was on my own and it really upset me? 
  • leeCal
    Options
    People who ask for help and then when you take them seriously and really try to help they pretend it’s all a joke ...and it’s on you.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    Options
    @RAwarrior it happens to my son regularly. He has cerebral palsy and uses two crutches to be mobile. Some people have issues unfortunately. 

Words are just noise, we choose to respond to or not. With training it can be done.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    Options
    @leeCal

Thank you so much for your support?

I’m so sorry to hear about the abuse that your son has received?

It really upset me because as you know from my other posts I go to the park as it helps me. 

I have posted some more Squirrels and Friends photos to take my mind off of what happened??

Many thanks again  for your support?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 144 Pioneering
    Options
    I,ve been called psycho in the past by people who should know better!!
  • RAwarrior
    Options
    @givingup

I am so sorry to hear that and it’s a horrible thing to say?

I didn’t expect to go to the park and get a tirade of abuse which I can’t repeat here?
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    Salt an vinegar crisps are bad enough.
    But prawn cocktail!! OMG

Peanut butter ? With jelly ?
  • RAwarrior
    Options
    Brussel sprouts 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Because this just happened to me, that feeling of wanting to sneeze for ages but never sneezing
    Haha! I know what you mean!!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    RAwarrior said:
    People who are really abusive to disabled people. I got called a “disabled b****” in the park today. I also got other abuse which I am not going to put on here. 

However, I fed my little squirrel family afterwards so I felt a bit better. 

However, why do people think it’s okay to swear at complete strangers and then say horrible things like that? I was on my own and it really upset me? 
    leeCal said:
    @RAwarrior it happens to my son regularly. He has cerebral palsy and uses two crutches to be mobile. Some people have issues unfortunately. 

Words are just noise, we choose to respond to or not. With training it can be done.
    I’m sorry to read about this. :(

I also don’t really know why people choose to be rude. Maybe an inferiority thing on their part? Maybe they were bullied and are trying to get back? Maybe they “get off” on being mean to people? Maybe they are just a bit dim?

I like to think their opinion is not worth anything so it doesn’t matter or mean anything if they call you something nasty. However it is still unpleasant to be at the receiving end.
  • RAwarrior
    Options
    @66Mustang

Thank you so much for your kind words and support, it really means a lot to me?

I was also told to f*** off and called a m***** f***** as well as what I have already mentioned?

I am really upset because I am really fed up with complete strangers thinking it’s okay to be abusive to me?

I was only in the park feeding my squirrel family who you and many others in this wonderful community know about because of the photographs I have posted.

As I have previously said I go to the park to feed the squirrels because it helps with my wellbeing. I am really shocked because yet again someone has been really nasty to me.

This sort of thing always happens when I am on my own and I might as well have a sign over my head saying I am an easy target?

I am not going to the park today because although I want to see the squirrels I really don’t want to go.

I will phone the Police if I see this person again but I hope it was an isolated incident. 

I am not saying he should have been so vile to anyone else but it makes me wonder if I wasn’t clearly disabled if he would have said the same thing or if he would have said the same thing to someone who was not my size.

I have PTSD as well as Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis, I started Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which was interrupted by Covid 19. One of the main issues identified by the therapist was rumination because of what happened to me at work. So now I have done exactly the same thing by going over what happened again and again?

I really wish people would think about the effect this sort of thing has on people like me who already have more than enough to deal with without getting picked on.  

You said maybe they “get off” by being mean to people well it’s interesting that you say that because the person who bullied and harassed me at work used to really enjoy insulting people particularly disabled people whom he referred to as “sickies”. 

Some people really enjoy harming others especially if they are seen as imperfect because they are disabled. I wish I wasn’t disabled and food for thought is although I wouldn’t wish my disability on anyone, I got RA completely out of the blue without any warning so what has happened to me can also happen to other people?

I did however, post some squirrel photographs last night and today to try to take my mind off of what happened?

I know in a small way my photographs have brought a smile to members of the online community so that cheers me up ?

Many thanks for replying to my post because I really am upset so I appreciate you taking the time to support me?

• leeCal
    Options
    @RAwarrior most people don’t verbally abuse other total strangers in public which tells you something about them, they’re atypical. There is a chance that because of that they actually feel no remorse for their nasty comments at all so though it may be difficult we might actually feel a bit sorry for them. After all there is a strong chance that they can never be treated adequately for their malady and it’s hard to believe that their behaviour and thoughts lead to a happy, full and contented life.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    Options
    @leeCal

Thank you so much for comments and support. I am very grateful?

Unfortunately in my case I just seem to be an easy target. What happened in the park reminded about what happened in work with the person who bullied me for years.

Obviously I don’t know the person in the park however, I very much doubt that he would have spoken to someone else like that.  

Unfortunately there are people who are bullies who know who to target and this incident has just reminded about the bully in work who particularly targeted disabled people.

I will phone the Police if I see the person in the park again and they speak to me like that. 

I didn’t go to the park today because I couldn’t face it but I will try to go tomorrow.

Maybe like you said the person doesn’t have a happy life and maybe I should just think they are pathetic because they targeted someone like me.

I just cannot help thinking about what happened in work because it is just another example of people thinking it’s okay to be abusive to me whereas they would think twice about doing the same to someone who is a lot stronger and larger than I am.

I enjoy going to the park on my own and I don’t want to have to go with someone in case this happens again. As I am disabled I am restricted to what I can do but I try to be as independent as possible. 

I know you are a keen gardener and I sorted out some of my seeds today to take my mind off of the situation.??

Many thanks again for your support?

• 66Mustang
    Options
    I know how you feel r.e. people not thinking about how their actions affect you. It happened to me a lot at school where often people will do unkind things that clearly gave them a tiny bit of “fun” but it negatively affected me far more than the enjoyment they got.

Likewise the bully who was mean to you probably forgot about it within a few hours, maybe even minutes, whereas sadly you will remember it for several days.

As said above maybe we do need to feel sorry for people like that - if they have to attack others to get any satisfaction out of life how little they must have in their own life.

I also think you are right that these people pick on those who look like easier targets. I guess that is how bullies operate as fundamentally they are cowards and would never “pick on someone their own size”.
  • RAwarrior
    Options
    @66Mustang

Thank you so much again for your support and kind words?

I am sorry to hear about your situation at school?

I am really upset because it brought me back to the years of torment at work and the resulting PTSD. 

The PTSD I have started as an adult and was directly caused by being bullied and harassed for years at work by one person who is still employed but at another location.

I live in fear of seeing the bully again.

As I have explained in great detail in previous posts the bully at work was allowed to bully and harass me even by senior managers who said “they couldn’t touch him”. 

I am sick of people who get enjoyment from harming others and when nothing is ever done to stop their behaviour.   

I actually feel a lot better when I know I have at least tried to help someone else as obviously I can’t always help but I will try. 

Joining this community has really helped me because I have tried to help others, I have got involved in various threads including gardening and photography. I have also shared some of my many wildlife photographs.

I thought I had made some progress by joining the community, feeding the squirrels and basically doing things that help me.

I think that the bully who was abusive in the park and the one at work are the same because as you also said they wouldn’t pick on anyone their own size. 

The workplace bully spent most of the working day trying to upset other people and used to say the most outrageous things knowing that nothing would ever be done about it. 

I had counselling and CBT and both therapists were in complete shock that this had been allowed to happen to me.

I find it really difficult to deal with PTSD whereas I know what to do in relation to my RA and OA. 

I just don’t understand how some people get enjoyment from harming other people. ?

The bully at work actually had some managers feeling sorry for him whilst I almost had a nervous breakdown?

Many thanks again ?

• 66Mustang
    Options
    It’s sad that that is allowed to happen in the workplace especially these days. All I can say is hopefully the bullying at work made you a stronger person moving forward. I know the bullying at school did that with me.

I find what you said here really interesting:

“I find it really difficult to deal with PTSD whereas I know what to do in relation to my RA and OA.”

While I am not belittling any physical problems I would agree that mental problems are much, much harder to deal with because with physical problems there is often a standard treatment for dealing with the issue. A treatment that works for one patient generally works for all and doctors can recommend treatment that has helped patients in the past. Like a broken leg for example, generally everyone with a broken leg is given the same fix. However mental health it is so much more complex, and just because a treatment like CBT helps one patient with, say, PTSD doesn’t mean another patient will respond in the same way!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    On a lighter note I have something to add to Room 101...

When you touch something and it is sticky. With OCD I always assume the worst when something is sticky and have to wash my hands!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.