Room 101!!! - Page 9 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Room 101!!!

12345679»

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    To add to your list of driving ones @rawarrior and on a similar note to people using the right turn lane to get ahead...

When there is a queue at a roundabout in the left hand lane to turn left, and no queue to turn right, people use the right hand lane and go all the way around the roundabout and take the left exit.

I don’t actually think it’s illegal and it’s quite clever really but a bit frustrating when you are sat in the queue!
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    People who overtake like 3 cars at once on a narrow country road
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    edited December 2020
    People who overtake like 3 cars at once on a narrow country road
    I’d agree with you if you said any dangerous or illegal overtake as I’ve seen the outcome of 2 cars meeting at 60mph each and it’s not pretty, however multi-vehicle overtakes are not automatically all bad unless they are dangerous for some other reason.

Often “some other reason” does exist as they are often done recklessly; but it is possible to do a multi-vehicle overtake perfectly safely and is actually part of advanced driving “syllabus”. 

Basically you have to treat every overtaken car as a separate overtake and only continue to pass each car if it is safe to do so. Also you need to make sure there is somewhere to “land” between each car if you need to.

Anyone who is nervous about overtaking I would recommend watching a YouTube channel called Reg Local. He is ex traffic police and now teaches advanced driving and he has made a video on how to overtake perfectly and safely.

Edit in my haste to defend advanced driving I missed and just saw you said on a narrow country road which I agree with I guess but will leave my post up in case it interests anyone :)
  • 66Mustang
    While we are doing driving ones I put people who don’t thank you when you give way to them in Room 101? :D
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I think for me @66Mustang more often than not it's done when somebody just wants to show off how fast they can go, and it can be quite unsettling when you are in the car being overtaken, or even in the car doing the overtaking. 

You're right, there are many who do it safely and for the right reasons, and I have no issue with it on roads that are wide enough, or long enough, like a motorway. As I said, and as you pointed out at the bottom, it gets on my nerves when it's on a narrow road, normally in the countryside, and it seems to have been done for no other reason than to show off.

That channel sounds interesting, I must be honest I didn't know there was a specific way to overtake that was trained to people, I might have to view that video.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Motorbike riders doing wheelies on a main road or dual carriageway.

Drivers driving in the right hand lane who try to cut in at the last minute because they don’t want to queue in the left hand lane with everyone else.

@66Mustang, the cyclists don’t care about others but it is really annoying because the path has been designed as an accessible path so they are not allowed to cycle there. They also cycle at speed making it very difficult for disabled people to get out the way.

People who don’t social distance. I asked someone to keep their distance in the park when I was feeding my squirrel family and I got told to p*** off! 
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    People starting a sentence with “So” when they are about to answer a question.

The following expressions:

Moving forward 
    Going forward 

Telling people to “ reach out” when the person saying it doesn’t mean it. I am fed up with hearing this.

Politicians saying “That’s a very good question” and not answering the question.

People talking about wellbeing when it is just a box ticking exercise.
  • 66Mustang
    RAwarrior said:
    People who don’t social distance. I asked someone to keep their distance in the park when I was feeding my squirrel family and I got told to p*** off! 
    How rude!

Again I think they have realised they are in the wrong and they are too proud to say “sorry”.

The ironic thing is that they are abusive because of pride and they are worried about their image, yet if they were humble and said “sorry” people would actually think better of them!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.