Disability discrimination during covid pandemic - Page 7 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability discrimination during covid pandemic

Options

Comments

• shellbell20
    shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
    Options
    TG0601 said:
    @lisathomas50 I knew straight away there was confusion so just wanted to clear it up for everyone involved immediately :) thank you for your kind words & support. @Username_removed thank you also for calling into question & challenging the post of innocent21. It’s a shame it lead to @shellbell20 having to take time out & it made her worried about the tribunal process & hearing. If you are still reading these @shellbell20 the Tribunal hearings are incredibly fair & although it’s understandably daunting, they are there for people like us, not the lawyers. All you have to do is tell the truth. Answer the opposing sides questions truthfully & you will not be intimidated by anyone. My run up to my previous tribunal was initially daunting but once I was there I felt so empowered as no one knew my case better than me nor can you trip up a person who is telling the truth. Their barrister gave up in the end & said “she’s beaten me, I have nothing more to add”. It’s all in the transcripts. Hold your head up high. Don’t doubt the way you was made to feel or treated. Even if I lose this tribunal I will sleep well knowing I told the truth & knowing my treatment was illegal & wrong. We do this not just for us, but for all people this is also happening to :) 
    To be honest I am getting alerted via email about what is being discussed. I need to take time out, as I am trying to work out how to fill in an ET1 and with my anxiety levels through the roof right now its actually quite difficult for me even think clearly or remember things.

I did get some free advice from an union yesterday who told me there was a word count of around 2000 words. I am now trying to figure out if I  should just attach a file instead to avoid that word count or if there is a word count with an attachment. Then I am trying to figure out how I am meant to set it all out, whether to cross reference it with laws. I am not a solicitor though, nor a representative, just a layman trying to figure it all out.

So that is  how far I have got, absolutely nowhere and the clock is ticking. I only have 30 days to make sure I fill the form in and submit, probably 25 days now after procrastinating.

It's so hard when I have no idea what I am doing and I have no representation, that is why I am stepping away.  Right now I feel it's an overload and distracting me from doing what I need to do. Plus I am also getting ready for my trip to the USA next Monday and trying to organise what needs to be done for that, but my energy levels are non existent and everything seems such a chore.

I also  wanted to step back because I don't want to hear scaremongering tales, which might make me back down from what really needs to be done.

I am receiving daily emails from work, just getting harassed every single day and they are now trying to get out of paying holiday pay and my final weeks salary, so that isn't helping matters. I feel like my head is about to explode to be honest. 

It's one hot mess and I keep getting terrible dizzy spells and my concentration levels are that of a gnat. It's all too much for me.

Thanks for your concern though. I will be OK once I submit the ET1 form and have time out to relax and get better. 
  • TG0601
    TG0601 Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    You're welcome @TG0601 - I've been following all the posts, & know Mike always gives excellent correct advice, whilst innocent21 was going off on a tangent inappropriately. It's great you have succeeded in the past, & I'm a great believer in the truth so sincerely hope you will succeed again.
    Thank you so much. Yes, Mike is very helpful & straight. It’s just what is needed in these situations. & regards my case I’ll definitely give it my best shot :) It’s the judicial mediation hearing next week (the main hearing is in October). We have complied a schedule of losses so we’ll see if the other side want to settle, or not. I’m prepared for the Main hearing so I’ve got nothing to lose. I’ll definitely keep you all posted :)
  • TG0601
    Options
    TG0601 said:
    @lisathomas50 I knew straight away there was confusion so just wanted to clear it up for everyone involved immediately :) thank you for your kind words & support. @Username_removed thank you also for calling into question & challenging the post of innocent21. It’s a shame it lead to @shellbell20 having to take time out & it made her worried about the tribunal process & hearing. If you are still reading these @shellbell20 the Tribunal hearings are incredibly fair & although it’s understandably daunting, they are there for people like us, not the lawyers. All you have to do is tell the truth. Answer the opposing sides questions truthfully & you will not be intimidated by anyone. My run up to my previous tribunal was initially daunting but once I was there I felt so empowered as no one knew my case better than me nor can you trip up a person who is telling the truth. Their barrister gave up in the end & said “she’s beaten me, I have nothing more to add”. It’s all in the transcripts. Hold your head up high. Don’t doubt the way you was made to feel or treated. Even if I lose this tribunal I will sleep well knowing I told the truth & knowing my treatment was illegal & wrong. We do this not just for us, but for all people this is also happening to :) 
    To be honest I am getting alerted via email about what is being discussed. I need to take time out, as I am trying to work out how to fill in an ET1 and with my anxiety levels through the roof right now its actually quite difficult for me even think clearly or remember things.

I did get some free advice from an union yesterday who told me there was a word count of around 2000 words. I am now trying to figure out if I  should just attach a file instead to avoid that word count or if there is a word count with an attachment. Then I am trying to figure out how I am meant to set it all out, whether to cross reference it with laws. I am not a solicitor though, nor a representative, just a layman trying to figure it all out.

So that is  how far I have got, absolutely nowhere and the clock is ticking. I only have 30 days to make sure I fill the form in and submit, probably 25 days now after procrastinating.

It's so hard when I have no idea what I am doing and I have no representation, that is why I am stepping away.  Right now I feel it's an overload and distracting me from doing what I need to do. Plus I am also getting ready for my trip to the USA next Monday and trying to organise what needs to be done for that, but my energy levels are non existent and everything seems such a chore.

I also  wanted to step back because I don't want to hear scaremongering tales, which might make me back down from what really needs to be done.

I am receiving daily emails from work, just getting harassed every single day and they are now trying to get out of paying holiday pay and my final weeks salary, so that isn't helping matters. I feel like my head is about to explode to be honest. 

It's one hot mess and I keep getting terrible dizzy spells and my concentration levels are that of a gnat. It's all too much for me.

Thanks for your concern though. I will be OK once I submit the ET1 form and have time out to relax and get better. 
    I absolutely understand where you are coming from. It’s an awful lot on your plate. These links may help you fill out your ET1 https://swancraig.co.uk/news-updates/how-to-fill-in-an-et1/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rJyCyatjHcw

Take as much timeout as you need & we’ll all
    be here when you need us. Take care & safe journey across the pond 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    @shellbell20 @TG0601 I was going to get myself back to sleep after my doggie was poorly, but I do feel the need to say something to both of you. 

Please stick with your cases and heed the advice of those who are well versed in these matters. I.e. Legal Reps/Unions etc. Advice in here can be absolutely second to none but when the discussion clearly goes way off topic, and then becomes personal, I looking in from the outside see only too well how much stress this is placing on both of you. You both don't deserve that and opinions, whilst considered important by some, do need to be fully monitored on this forum. I actually felt really sorry for you both. I have a great deal of experience in the legal system, and I know it is not my place to offer advice or outline scare stories without substantial evidence to support it. 

My heart genuinely goes out to you both and I hope that you keep popping in to see if any constructive input has been posted. You sound like two really lovely people who are going through a hell of a time right now. Please do keep us updated and above all, be kind to yourselves. You've both done nothing wrong and I sincerely hope that you both get the results you deserve at the ET.

Be safe all and be kind to each other. (I am at least learning and working towards kerbing my enthusiasm and inputs on here, so apologies if someone's unhappy with what I've written) I simply couldn't sit back and say nothing. Please give these two people a break. For one to consider dropping the case due to fright stories without any substance, stats or ratios, is an unkind thing to put upon a lady who is struggling with this in real time.  These two people should be priority and they're being swamped with negative opinions. It's a sad reflection on the forum and that saddens me.

All the very best of luck to you Shell and TG. ???
    Thank you for your kind words. I have tried to concentrate on my ET1, I was up until 6am writing most of it the other night. I just wish I could find someone to look it over to see if it is correct as time is running out to do this. I don't have any legal or union representation yet, so I am pretty clueless and really do feel I am sinking already.  And as you said the advice isn't really helping, I feel like I am shouting out and my words aren't being heard. The only thing in life we can do I feel is show love, help people and spread kindness, which obviously hasn't happened at work, else I wouldn't be taking them to court.    xxxxx
  • shellbell20
    Options
    Lots of stuff online about completing an ET1. Don't fall for the ones who want to charge you for essentially the same thing. 
    I have been looking at those. However there is something about how many words you can submit, but to give a true reflection on what's been happening I have to set the background. And I am not sure how many words I am allowed if I upload a word document. If anyone here can shed light on it I would be very grateful. I can't find anyone asking for payment for reviewing it, but at this point I would happily pay someone.
  • shellbell20
    Options
    @shellbell20 @TG0601 I was going to get myself back to sleep after my doggie was poorly, but I do feel the need to say something to both of you. 

Please stick with your cases and heed the advice of those who are well versed in these matters. I.e. Legal Reps/Unions etc. Advice in here can be absolutely second to none but when the discussion clearly goes way off topic, and then becomes personal, I looking in from the outside see only too well how much stress this is placing on both of you. You both don't deserve that and opinions, whilst considered important by some, do need to be fully monitored on this forum. I actually felt really sorry for you both. I have a great deal of experience in the legal system, and I know it is not my place to offer advice or outline scare stories without substantial evidence to support it. 

My heart genuinely goes out to you both and I hope that you keep popping in to see if any constructive input has been posted. You sound like two really lovely people who are going through a hell of a time right now. Please do keep us updated and above all, be kind to yourselves. You've both done nothing wrong and I sincerely hope that you both get the results you deserve at the ET.

Be safe all and be kind to each other. (I am at least learning and working towards kerbing my enthusiasm and inputs on here, so apologies if someone's unhappy with what I've written) I simply couldn't sit back and say nothing. Please give these two people a break. For one to consider dropping the case due to fright stories without any substance, stats or ratios, is an unkind thing to put upon a lady who is struggling with this in real time.  These two people should be priority and they're being swamped with negative opinions. It's a sad reflection on the forum and that saddens me.

I am sorry about your dog. I have a very sick cat who is 18 now and the vets said to have put down because of hyperthorism. He is not in pain and I wont do that but he has a habit of yowling at 6am to wake me up. I take him for a walk each night down the back alley, so that I know he is safe. He loves his walks.
  • TG0601
    Options

Thank you so much for your kind words of support. I will definitely keep you all updated ☺️ Thank you for taking the time to comment & thoughts  Xx
  • TG0601
    Options
    Lots of stuff online about completing an ET1. Don't fall for the ones who want to charge you for essentially the same thing. 
    I have been looking at those. However there is something about how many words you can submit, but to give a true reflection on what's been happening I have to set the background. And I am not sure how many words I am allowed if I upload a word document. If anyone here can shed light on it I would be very grateful. I can't find anyone asking for payment for reviewing it, but at this point I would happily pay someone.
    It’s just the online form that has the word count. You can attach a word document with no word count. If you look at the first link I copied for you, re how to fill in the ET1, it gives step by step advice & also what to put on your word document. I’ll copy it again here for you below. You could always contact a university with law degree courses, as theres law students & qualified tutors/lecturers that could/may help you for free. It would be good leaning for them & the tutors oversee it. Just a thought. I’m one of these people, if you don’t ask you don’t get ? 

1. Type and details of your claim. – i.e. what your claim(s) is/are. You should both tick the relevant box, as well as inserting a written description of what your claim is about. You have two options with the detail of your claim, otherwise known as your particulars of claim. You can either write them into the online form (NB there is limited space) or you can write it on a Word document and upload it. You can also do both i.e. start on the ET1 and attach the balance as a Word document.

Top tip – if you upload separate particulars, remember to put the party names on this document. You won’t have the official case number so party names will be enough to identify your claim. You also need to save the document as an ‘RTX’ file to upload it. Remember to save a copy for your own records” 

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @TG0601 you are correct in what you are saying I have my law degree BA with honours  and I also represent people in employment tribunals in wales as an advocate with law 
  • shellbell20
    Options
    @TG0601 you are correct in what you are saying I have my law degree BA with honours  and I also represent people in employment tribunals in wales as an advocate with law 
    I wish I had one right now. :(
  • shellbell20
    Options
    TG0601 said:
    It’s just the online form that has the word count. You can attach a word document with no word count. If you look at the first link I copied for you, re how to fill in the ET1, it gives step by step advice & also what to put on your word document. I’ll copy it again here for you below. You could always contact a university with law degree courses, as theres law students & qualified tutors/lecturers that could/may help you for free. It would be good leaning for them & the tutors oversee it. Just a thought. I’m one of these people, if you don’t ask you don’t get ? 

1. Type and details of your claim. – i.e. what your claim(s) is/are. You should both tick the relevant box, as well as inserting a written description of what your claim is about. You have two options with the detail of your claim, otherwise known as your particulars of claim. You can either write them into the online form (NB there is limited space) or you can write it on a Word document and upload it. You can also do both i.e. start on the ET1 and attach the balance as a Word document.

Top tip – if you upload separate particulars, remember to put the party names on this document. You won’t have the official case number so party names will be enough to identify your claim. You also need to save the document as an ‘RTX’ file to upload it. Remember to save a copy for your own records” 

Thanks for this, this is very helpful for me. x
  • shellbell20
    Options
    ET1s are too important to put in front of law students supervised or not. They require a real insight into the purpose of an ET1 and the consequences of getting that wrong. People who teach law degrees don't necessarily have any of that. People who teach on the LPC courses on the other hand are used to directly connecting the law to real world forms and processes as that's what the LPC is all about. However, AdviceLocal should have turned up a rep for you by now. 

There is no word count and the recommendation is to always add additional sheets. No different to PIP really. If all you do is complete the form then you definitely won't have provided sufficient detail. 
    Never heard of Advice Local. The thing is I am away for a few weeks, so it's going to be hard to talk with anyone as my phone does not allow for international calls and if I did set it up it's around £1 a minute whereas from the UK to the USA its about 1 penny a minute.
  • TG0601
    Options
    ET1s are too important to put in front of law students supervised or not. They require a real insight into the purpose of an ET1 and the consequences of getting that wrong. People who teach law degrees don't necessarily have any of that. People who teach on the LPC courses on the other hand are used to directly connecting the law to real world forms and processes as that's what the LPC is all about. However, AdviceLocal should have turned up a rep for you by now. 

There is no word count and the recommendation is to always add additional sheets. No different to PIP really. If all you do is complete the form then you definitely won't have provided sufficient detail. 
    ACAS directed me to the Legal Advice Centre in Hull, Mike, for free advice. They are from Hull University. Law students & lectures who worked in the profession previous to lecturing. They conducted an online meeting with me then wrote to me with their findings, overseen by the qualified lecturer. When my union solicitor got involved he looked at the letter from The Legal Advice Centre & agreed with their findings. I’m just passing this on to @shellbell20 as she may have something similar near her. Although I’m sure ACAS would have directed her if so. She doesn’t need to contact universities if she doesn’t wish. Just thought I’d pass on my experience ? 
  • TG0601
    Options
    Absolutely. The tribunals know that a lot of claimants don’t have legal representation or any Employment Law knowledge & make allowances for that. That’s why they have Tribunal judges who know employment law inside out. Tribunals are for the purpose of lay persons, not lawyers after-all, but legal support & knowledge is always going to be a good thing, if you can get it of course ?
  • TG0601
    Options
    I think there's a distinction to be made and an important point to be made. 

1 - there's a difference between using law students under supervision and doing so within the context of an advice centre. No problem with the latter but...

2 - point of principle with me I'm afraid. Why does Hull have that centre? Simply because it closed one of the largest most well respected CitA in the country and looked for cheap alternatives on the basis that advice is no different to information and so students can do information and do it cheaper. 

The price of your legal advice centre has in effect been a decimation of better funded and better quality advice from people with far more experience and specialist knowledge.   
    Well, nonetheless my solicitor thought they’d done a good job & I was grateful to have anyone helping at that time. When you are walking the path alone you’ll try anything. Like I say, it’s up to @shellbell20 whether she wants to look at the options out there for support 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • shellbell20
    Options
    @bekindalways sorry for the late reply. I am in the USA with my husband. I wish I could say it was a positive experience but thus far it is not.   My husband and I have looked after a feral cat for a year, by feeding her. We tried to adopt her, but she would not come into the house and when we finally got her in she made a quick exit for the door.  My husband told me that she vanished about a month ago, he hadn't seen her in all that time. However, the day after landing she turned up she was emaciated, just a bag of bones, we tried to feed her, but she could barely eat, just lick juice. I tried to give her some antibiotics in the hopes it was an infection, but we couldn't save her. Today we took her to the vets and they ran tests, she had Feline Leukemia, Feline HIV, her white cells were attacking her body and there was a secondary tumour.  She was only about 3 years old. We had to make the saddest decision to have her put down. The vet told us even if we treated her she would only last another couple of months. I can't stop crying as she was such a gentle cat even though she was feral, she didn't stand a chance and it is so unfair.

Any way I did the ET1 the other night when I was looking after her.  I attached it as an upload and submitted it. I am sure it is not correct, but like @TG0601 mentioned these courts are for the layman.  I am not sure if it will be accepted, as it has a bit on the form about why should they accept your case or something? I am hoping it will be though.

These companies are brutal, they have taken away any self respect I had left. I can't let them keep doing this to other people.   They are still messing with my wages until I turned around and said ENOUGH!! I told them I was poorly and that their actions were making me worse and that I would prefer they did not contact me again and if there was a problem I would talk with my legal representative (I don't have one). I don't care what they thought about that, they can think what they like really and after losing Freya today it just makes me angrier that there are people out there that are mere bullies and think they are above the law. I guess what I mean is a little cat spread more love in her short life time than these miserable people do in their whole life time.

Thanks for reaching out though, your words are so kind they bought a tear to my eye. x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.