Hi, I'm Matthew. I'm looking to make friends with people with similar conditions. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Matthew. I'm looking to make friends with people with similar conditions.

matthew2909
matthew2909 Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
edited May 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hello I'm Matthew I'm 24 and I'm from the uk and ive got autism, adhd, social anxiety, depression, dyslexia and dypraxia and a few other bits and I'm just wondering is there anyone that I can talk to that is  around my age and has the same or similar problems or conditions as me as i don't know anyone my age that I can talk to or relate to that has the same or similar problems as me and i don't have any friends my age the only friends I have are adults alot older than me and I'm getting to the point where I'm really struggling      

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Hi @matthew2909 and a warm welcome to our community.  I can see you joined a few years ago but it's lovely to have you back.

How are you doing?  You say you're struggling and I'm sorry to hear that.  Is it because you feel somewhat lonely?  Many of our other members feel similar so please know you aren't alone and you have virtual friends in us.  

We have different categories that you might like to explore, for instance our Autism and Aspergers board and one dedicated to Mental health issues too so do take a look and have a read of others stories.  Do you feel like you're getting enough support with your mental health?  Apologies for all the questions but it will help us better help you.

To make friends, you might find our virtual coffee lounge a nice place to start.  We talk about allsorts of different things and have a giggle and play games.  You are more than welcome to make yourself at home.

Also, have you tried joining any local clubs - although they might be virtual at the moment - to meet people close by around your age?  What are your interests?

Enough questions from me :)  I hope you have a nice weekend.  Take care and speak soon.  

Just to add: I've tweaked the title of your thread to help others know what it's about and also moved it to our 'Welcomes and introductions category' where we greet new members.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @matthew2909 I've deleted the duplicate threads you posted just so we can keep everything in one place and not get confused :)  

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • matthew2909
    okie dokie sorry if i wasn't allowed to do that could i post something that will go into all of the groups or can i only post it on 1 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @matthew2909 No problems.  Just the one thread in one category please :)  If people visit our recent discussions they'll be able to see anything posted recently in there, so your thread will be visible to many others don't worry.  

• matthew2909
    Okie dokie thank you for helping me 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @matthew2909 - i just wanted to welcome you to the community. We do have some young people in their 20s in the community who have similar problems, whom you might 'meet.' There are also parents of such young people, who may offer their insight. Personally, I have a son in his early 30s who was said to be 'next door' to Asperger's by a neuropsychologist when he was about 20, & like yourself, he had always gotten on better with people older than himself. His older sister has dyslexia, & we both often have difficulty deciphering her texts!
    Anyway, I look forward to reading your further posts, & you will find everyone is friendly here. :)
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @matthew2909 and welcome back to the community! I'm 26, so it's nice to meet another member around my age! I've had social anxiety in the past, and really struggled with it. I, too, have depression and anxiety, amongst other things. I hope it's sunny where you are this weekend :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.