New reaction button suggestions - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

New reaction button suggestions

Options

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Cress said:

I agree, sometimes you're not up to engaging and a thanks button is at least something.
    This is the main reason I use reaction buttons.  If I don't have a wordy 'response', and a single word 'thanks' just looks sarcastic...being able to click a like or thanks shows the poster that you've read and appreciated their post.

In a similar vane, I often read a post where someone has had an awful experience, I can't offer any advice on their topic, and maybe others can't either, but want them to know that the post has been read and thought about rather than just letting it drop down the page with no replies because no-one knows how to help.  I have no idea if that feeling can be condensed into a single word!

As with others, I think the Awesome button is pretty irrelevant.  I have used it in the past as a replacement for the 'funny' button that I use on other forums but it doesn't really fit.  I know this is a more 'serious' forum due to the subject but people still regularly make jokes which lighten the mood and currently there's no reaction to 'share' in that humour...  I guess some (most?) will complain that it would be used for negative reasons though.  So it looks like the safest option is just to have a 'thanks' button...  Insightful doesn't seem necessary alongside thanks (though it does have relevance if we stick with 'like').
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,502 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Its all just suggestions that scope asked for, at end of the day they'll make their own minds up. I don't really have any ideas apart from if it ain't broke don't fix it lol.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,655 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think they might regret asking the question  :):):)
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
    Options
    Cheers ...@mikehughescq
                     @OverlyAnxious
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I do understand it seems there is a communication block  all I am trying to say is if information isn't helpful thst has been given that we can say it isn't helpful  instead of others going down the same line of advice 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,225 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No communication block here. An unhelpful button would be extremely rude and i'm not the only person to think this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Perhaps it would make it easier if examples were given where 'unhelpful' advice has actually been given.
    Any comments made by a new poster, if incorrect or misleading, can be reported to Scope, or other members will give the correct information, so where are all these posts that should be marked as 'unhelpful?'
    You also add that others might go 'down the same line of advice.' This sounds like you think not one, but several other members, persist in giving unhelpful advice, which seems even odder. No-one else says this happens.
  • woodbine
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Perhaps it would make it easier if examples were given where 'unhelpful' advice has actually been given.
    Any comments made by a new poster, if incorrect or misleading, can be reported to Scope, or other members will give the correct information, so where are all these posts that should be marked as 'unhelpful?'
    You also add that others might go 'down the same line of advice.' This sounds like you think not one, but several other members, persist in giving unhelpful advice, which seems even odder. No-one else says this happens.
    Just because no one else says this happens, doesn't mean to say they don't, I've seen countless examples over the last 3 years of people giving "unhelpful" information/advice, I've either politely tried to correct them or if they persist and some do then I have no option other than to report them.

I really do think we are going off at a tangent here, just because a number of people don't agree with @lisathomas50 suggestion about an "unhelpful" button doesn't make it wrong, it's just another idea thrown into the mix, as valid I might add as any other comment/idea on this thread. We are in danger of throwing out the baby with the bath water as the saying goes, and I think it's important that we are all respectful of everybody, be they a new member or have been around forever.

• poppy123456
    Options
    I don't see anyone being anything but respectful here!  I've also seen many members give incorrect advice, mis-information,  stating opinions as facts, need i go on?
    When i do, i've corrected that advice, i've also reported many comments because of this. This doesn't mean it would be right to have a "unhelpful" button.
    We are all entitled to our own opinions and i definitely have mine.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • woodbine
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I don't see anyone being anything but respectful here!  I've also seen many members give incorrect advice, mis-information,  stating opinions as facts, need i go on?
    When i do, i've corrected that advice, i've also reported many comments because of this. This doesn't mean it would be right to have a "unhelpful" button.
    We are all entitled to our own opinions and i definitely have mine.

I don't doubt that for a second@poppy123456 but some of what I'm seeing on this thread is a case of some peoples opinions are less valued than others, just because they may not be great ideas doesn't make them any less valued in this community, if I thought that was the case I would walk away right now.

• poppy123456
    Options
    No ones opinions are less valued than anyone else's. People have given suggestions and people have commented on those suggestions. Some have been agreed with, others haven't. Several people disagreed with the "unhelpful" button. We all have a right to voice our opinions.
  • woodbine
    Options
    I think you will find that is exactly what is was saying, everybody does have the right to voice an opinion, and by that I do mean EVERYBODY, I am aware that certain members don't think some should be allowed an opinion and thats sad, but I have made my feelings known to scope, so I will bow out of this discussion now as it's going round in circles !

• Sandy_123
    edited October 2021
    Options
    The idea of this thread was for scope to get suggestions from its users, now,  it's not really we don't agree or disagree thread is it. It's a suggestion for scope to look at and take what it wants from that. It shouldn't be let's all jump on someone we disagree with and why would we have to offer examples of our suggestions? As suggested. Everyone is entitled to have their say on what they think might work, whether right or wrong. However its not very helpful to scope or users if their suggestions are ridiculed, it may also stop others from making their own suggestions 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @woodbine there's absolutely no need to shout.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    There are vulnerable people on this site, who may lack in confidence,  and other things besides. So when someone posts a suggestion, which has been requested, whether wrong or right, then sees others suggestions being put down, shall we say,  then that negativity will  stop a person from  wanting  to take part. 

• Sandy_123
    Options
    Good idea at getting back on topic, I've only just noticed the quote button , is that new? If so then that's a good one. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    I've only just noticed the quote button , is that new? If so then that's a good one. 

Nope, i've been a member for 4 years and it's always been there.
  • Sandy_123
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Ah ok, don't know why I've not noticed it before 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options

if we started again I’d have none of them but if we have any I will as ever not use any nor pay any regard to those who use them for or against me.  
    Well that's just hurtful...I want an "I find your comment hurtful" button!  :D

I've never noticed any passive aggressive use of buttons. 

We should be able to debate things and have differing opinions without being afraid of being accused of causing upset or offence.
    Mutual respect, great.
    But when there maybe be posters who cry foul or offence at just about anything you don't agree with them on is wearisome and halts any debate.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All I was asking for was further clarity. What perturbed me was that one member thought more than one other member was perpetuating giving advice which they considered unhelpful. If that is occurring, it needs addressing.
    This differs from what myself & others have mentioned, that some new/newish members sometimes give incorrect information. No-one, I believe, intentionally gives such misinformation. My other consternation was therefore, how would a new member feel if their post was marked unhelpful, rather than a polite correction being given?
    How this has been so misconstrued is beyond me.....

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.