Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
House-sharing with other disabled people?
New to the forum - hi!
So I'm ashamed at my ignorance on this, but I've been trying to work out whether house-sharing is a popular choice for disabled people to the extent that it's something that can be readily found. I've surfed the internet and asked local and national advice services but come up empty so far. So it's crowd-sourcing time!
Basically, I've always shared houses or lodged with non-disabled people (I only once came across one disabled landlord advertising), but a chronic illness has declined to the point where - combined with social anxiety - I find it increasingly difficult to share with people who aren't hip to the social model (i.e. seemingly a majority). Sadly, I've yet to learn the magic trick to opening minds that doesn't involve finding it *painfully* difficult and then giving up from exhaustion.
I'll keep trying to get better at educating/integrating, but I'm thinking things being as they are it would be a hell of a lot less stressful (in general) to share a house with other disabled people. Living alone brings it's own pros/cons, not least cost. BUT...in your knowledge and experiences, are "all-disabled" house-shares much of a thing for independent single people? Where else to look?? Any thoughts etc. appreciated!
- 50.3K All Categories
- 9.9K Start here and say hello!
- 4.3K Coffee lounge
- 3.9K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.4K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 137 Community updates
- 11.6K Talk about your situation
- 1.7K Children, parents, and families
- 684 Work and employment
- 538 Education
- 1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 952 Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 255 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 252 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 19.8K Talk about money
- 1.8K Benefits and financial support
- 4.3K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 11.6K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.1K Universal Credit (UC)
- 3.7K Talk about your impairment
- 1.2K Cerebral palsy
- 611 Chronic pain and pain management
- 667 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 724 Autism and neurodiversity
- 870 Mental health and wellbeing
- 290 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.