Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Russia Invades Ukraine..........What should we, Europe/U.S./Rest of the world, do??????

Options
JustPete
JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
edited March 2022 in Coffee lounge
So, it has come to pass.  We have woken up to the inevitable.  Russia has invaded Ukraine in a land grab.  These are scary times for Europe and the World.  We must pray for the people of Ukraine and anybody who has family & loved ones in the area.

History should teach us how to react.

The West seems reticent to put feet on Ukraine soil.  Punitive sanctions did not prevent the start of invasion, nor will it stop it.

So..........what is the answer?  What do we do now?
I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I don’t pretend to have answers, but it’s scary stuff. I’ve already had my mum and Nan on the telephone telling me they are scared for what might happen. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,109 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Had the Ukraine been a member of NATO we would have been there as a deterrent, however they aren't, the best way forward now would be to put a blanket ban on importing Russia's gas and oil, they are massive exporters of both and stopping them trading in them would bring them either to their knees or their senses.
    But there would be a price to pay, already oil has breached the $100 price Brent crude is up 7.4% at $104 a barrel, and wholesale gas prices are increasing again, meaning higher fuel prices here and ergo higher inflation.
    But our govt. must stand behind the Ukraine and punish the Russians where it hurts...in their economy, proving that actions have consequences.

2024 Election won

• JustPete
    Options
    @woodbine I agree, but does Putin really care whether we cripple Russia do you think?  He, like Assad of Syria, will not really be personally affected.

I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • woodbine
    Options
    JustPete said:
    @woodbine I agree, but does Putin really care whether we cripple Russia do you think?  He, like Assad of Syria, will not really be personally affected.

True to a point, but it will affect the people who finance him and keep him in power.
    We could also nationalise all capital and property owned by Russians in the UK. That would be a positive step bringing down the price of property in London which is the main driver for property prices generally.

2024 Election won

• JustPete
    Options
    Perhaps, at 69 yrs of age, this is his last political action on the world stage?

• woodbine
    Options
    JustPete said:
    Perhaps, at 69 yrs of age, this is his last political action on the world stage?
    Some Russian leaders have had a long life, others not so.

2024 Election won

• APHRODITESHEART
    APHRODITESHEART Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    SADLY,  MULTI PRONGED TACTICS. WHILST I AM  HORRIFIED WITH DEATH TOLL UKRAINE, WE NEED TO ALSO PAY ATTENTION TO REINFORCEMENTS AT THE ARTIC "BACK DOOR". WHERE ARE THEIR SUBS?
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I said that putin would attack  we need not to intervene no one wants world war 3 my cousin couldn't get out of the Ukraine I didn't realise they were both out there one got home the other text me before it went on the news or online saying we are under attack Russia are attacking  May god be with the innocent and with my cousin 
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,782 Pioneering
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Russia (or rather its leaders) are bullies and if you remember how to deal with school bullies - you were always told not to react - I was wondering just how Russia can afford this - they have a GDP the size of Spain - how can they afford such a massive military (I realise that most of the population are living on the breadline - but still.....)
    Putin, himself - is a madman - he is similar to Hitler and we all know what happened in WW2.

• Lisatho11987777
    Options
    We fear that my cousin may have lost their life in Ukraine we have still not heard from them since notifying us of the attack and personal messages 😔 we are praying they have gone to ground and safe hope is all we have 
  • woodbine
    Options
    @lisathomas50 hope they are ok, let us know if you hear anything.

2024 Election won

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @lisathomas50 praying they are OK I'm hoping they are safe it may be they are unable to communicate if there has been disruption to mobile connection or Internet 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I hope your cousin is safe and well @lisathomas50.

As @janer1967 suggested, their silence/lack of communication might be due to signal issues and lack of Wifi etc. I hope you hear from them soon and we are all here to support you, as I can imagine it's been a challenging time for you and your family. 
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    We still haven't heard anything about my cousin all we know is they didn't get out of Ukraine before it was attacked the phone is no longer active we are expecting the worse the embassy have notified my aunt thst it could be months before we know my cousin is very much a Christian and even Ithough I  am not a practicing Christian I hope their faith is keeping them going I hope they are safe and hope is all we have 

This war is hard heartbreaking and I am at a loss why people thought putin wouldn't attack I have always said not to under estimate putin and as reports have said putin has always been a killer bit this time something is off with putin only what I have read and seen on BBC live news 

They have put all these sanctions in against Russia  and one I personally smile at not because its funny because they assume putin is stupid and he isn't and thsts the one where putins assets have been frozen he would of planned for all this this isnt just something  he just thought he would do he has been planning it for along  time he is attacking slowly in my opinion for a reason I belive he is trying to wear the Ukraine army out  I belive the worst is yet to come without help I dont belive Ukraine will win they need a cease fore but as news has said thst isn't happening Ukraine president isn't giving up 

The sad part I have seen on the news some of them are 18 and fighting for their country they haven't had their life they are still realy children 😢  how will that affect them haveing to kill another human being as like them are following what they are told to do 

The worst part as well is no one can help them only time nato can intervene is if he steps into a nato country or attacks a nato country which then goes into world war 3  is that what putin wants ??? It affects the whole world

They tested our war siren out scared the life out of me 

May God be with Ukraine thoughts are with family and RIP to all those who have already lost their lives we have to  remember the army's are following rules civilians are haveing to fight non of the men are allowed out they have to fight hope Ukraine president stays safe 🙏 
  • Wibbles
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Anyone else concerned that all these sanctions imposed on Russia are simply turning them into a caged tiger with nothing more to lose? 
    The nuclear option has been mentioned 
  • Wibbles
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Frightening?
    It's Terrifying!
    Sleepless nights for 3 nights now
    WW3? 
  • woodbine
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Wibbles said:
    Anyone else concerned that all these sanctions imposed on Russia are simply turning them into a caged tiger with nothing more to lose? 
    The nuclear option hasn't been mentioned in the way you might think it has, all he has done is put his nuclear capability on "heightened standby", I'm 100% sure he has no intention of using them as Russia would in all likelyhood be flatened by the nuclear might of the UK USA and France.

The sanctions are in the main their to hit Putin and his backers where it hurts, in their wallets.

Interesting to note that Russia has increased it's interest rates to 20% this morning up from 9.5% to try and bolster the Rouble which is in free fall.

Also interesting to note that the price of Brent crude oil (the main oil price indicator) has risen $5 a barrel this morning to $103.

2024 Election won

• Wibbles
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Wibbles said:
    The nuclear option hasn't been mentioned in the way you might think it has, all he has done is put his nuclear capability on "heightened standby", I'm 100% sure he has no intention of using them as Russia would in all likelyhood be flatened by the nuclear might of the UK USA and France.

The sanctions are in the main their to hit Putin and his backers where it hurts, in their wallets.

Interesting to note that Russia has increased it's interest rates to 20% this morning up from 9.5% to try and bolster the Rouble which is in free fall.

Also interesting to note that the price of Brent crude oil (the main oil price indicator) has risen $5 a barrel this morning to $103.

$103 for how much ?

• Wibbles
    Options
    I find it incredible that Liz Truss is actively encouraging Brits to travel to Ucraine to fight for Ucraine!! 
  • woodbine
    Options
    It is a little bit odd that she is encouraging this as it is basically against the law.
    The $103 is for a barrel of oil a barrel is 42 US gallons or 35 imperial gallons

2024 Election won

This discussion has been closed.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.