Hi everyone I'm totally new. I've not heard back from PIP, does this mean I'm not eligible? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi everyone I'm totally new. I've not heard back from PIP, does this mean I'm not eligible?

Options
Lozzert
Lozzert Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited May 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I'm totally new to all this. I applied for PIP on February 24th , filled in the forms they sent and got a message saying they have received back but nothing since. Does this mean I'm not eligible?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Lozzert

Welcome tot he community :)

Sorry to hear that you've had a long wait. It doesn't mean that you are not eligible, and is instead just a reflection of the delays that many people have experienced in recent times. Hopefully though it won't be much longer and they will be in touch with you regarding an assessment soon.

I have moved your discussion over to our PIP category, which as you might imagine contains lots of threads about PIP and is well worth a read :)  

I hope to see you getting involved more around the community. This is a very supportive and welcoming site to be a part of so I’m hopeful that you’ll find it to be a positive outlet. Feel free to have a look around and get involved wherever you’d like 😊 A few notable pages I’d recommend visiting would be:

• The virtual coffee lounge which is one of our categories, in which we play games and talk about general subjects such as hobbies and interests
    • The recent discussions page, which shows an overview of everything happening across the community
    • The categories page, which shows a full list of discussion groups on the community

If you have any questions at all then don’t hesitate to ask.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,189 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You only applied 3 months ago, which isn't long at all. It's not unusual for it to take at least several months, possibly longer. You should expect an assessment because most people have them, this will be through either telephone, face to face or video call. Once an appointment becomes available you will be contacted.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lozzert
    Options
    Thankyou poppy123456 I have no idea how long any of it takes. Thankyou x
  • Kendo861
    Kendo861 Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @lozzert I didn't fi forms in untill February 1st and just had my asessment by fone 2 days ago , they should be in touch shortly,I advise you to prepare for it ,have you got a copy of your claim form, Kendo 861
  • Lozzert
    Options
    Hi @Kendo861, that's useful to know thankyou.  No I don't did I need to take a copy? 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lozzert said:
    Hi @Kendo861, that's useful to know thankyou.  No I don't did I need to take a copy? 
    You are not required to but without a copy it’s hard to remember what you put on the form.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kendo861
    Options
    Yeah @lozzert I was ignorant to the fact that I needed a copy as the asessor looks to see what you put on your form.you haven't been assessed yet ,ring them for a copy
  • calcotti
    Options
    Kendo861 said:..,ring them for a copy
    I don’t think they’ll do that.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Kendo861
    Options
    No harm in trying @lozzert you've nowt to lose if they don't
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You should always keep a copy of everything you send DWP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Kendo861
    Options
    IV worked for 45 year and never had any dealings with claiming anything alot of people will be the same we don't know these things
  • calcotti
    Options
    As a general rule I would say it is sensible to retain a copy of anything important you send to anybody - not just benefits. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    On the front of the form in bold it says "only send photocopies"
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I am with you there @calcotti i have always kept copies/notes/people i have spoken to about certain matters/ etc think it comes with a business head.
  • calcotti
    Options
    I was referring to keeping a copy of the form, not the supporting evidence for which, as you say, the originals should be kept. More widely I was referring to anything important, tax returns (when they were done on paper), letters to the bank etc.

Perversely the modern method of messaging through websites can make it more difficult to keep a record unless you remember to take a screen grab before sending.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    I was referring to keeping a copy of the form, not the supporting evidence for which, as you say, the originals should be kept. More widely I was referring to anything important, tax returns (when they were done on paper), letters to the bank etc.

I realised that, which is what i was referring too as well but It applies to everything, as you said.
    calcotti said:
    As a general rule I would say it is sensible to retain a copy of anything important you send to anybody - not just benefits. 

I've only just seen this comment as we must have posted around the same time but i totally agree with you.

• calcotti
    Options
    Sorry poppy, I didn't notice we’d posted at the same time and I read yours as a response to mine!
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome to the online community.  Unfortunately I don't think you'll get any joy asking for a copy of your PIP form.  Going forward, as the other members have pointed out, it's always a good idea to send copies of supporting evidence and to keep a copy of any forms so you can refer to them later.  I don't know how long you will need to wait for a response from the DWP but the silence is not an indication that you are not eligible for PIP. You should be contacted at some point with a date for your health assessment so unfortunately you are likely to have quite a wait still until you get a decision on your PIP claim. 
     I attach further information with regards to the assessment and more is also available on the Scope site. The DWP bases its decision on the findings of the health professional who carried out the assessment and also the information you supplied in your PIP form and your supporting evidence. I do hope you have a positive outcome but if the decision isn't what you were  hoping for be aware that you can ask the DWP to reconsider its decision and, if necessary ,challenge that decision if it is not revised at that point.   It would be helpful to have had a copy of the PIP form at this point but lots of people manage to successfully challenge  their PIP decisions without. Details how to do this will be in the decision letter but are also set out here. 
    Preparing for your PIP assessment - Citizens Advice
    Challenging a PIP decision - mandatory reconsideration - Citizens Advice

Online Community Adviser

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Lozzert
    Options
    Thankyou so much everyone,  I really appreciate the replies that I have had, just wish I had seen something like this beforehand,  but you live and learn. 
  • flour
    flour Community member Posts: 68 Courageous
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Lozzert said:
    Thankyou so much everyone,  I really appreciate the replies that I have had, just wish I had seen something like this beforehand,  but you live and learn. 
    Surprised no one has suggested you to do this instead:

Just do a 'subject access request' on the gov uk website for PIP and they'll post their copy of the form right back to you a month later.
    Remember that people come on to this forum who may be in a vulnerable state and kindness goes a long way. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.