Hi, my name is woodstar1984! Need help regarding a PIP claim - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is woodstar1984! Need help regarding a PIP claim

Options

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,651 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    lisa86 said:

It will slow down your claim if you ask for a report early. When you get your award letter it will include the full report.

Requesting a copy of the assessment report has no affect on the timescale of any decision. A copy of the report isn't usually sent with the decision letter. If you want a copy you need to ring PIP and ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • schoolmum
    schoolmum Scope Member Posts: 122 Pioneering
    Options
    @poppy123456

Many thanks Poppy for confirming this.
    Your wealth of knowledgeand advice is always much appreciated.
  • woodstar1984
    woodstar1984 Community member Posts: 78 Connected
    Options
    @schoolmum I asked if they have my report they do but I will call on Thursday then it's been 2weeks but they did say it would take up to 8weeks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
     but they did say it would take up to 8weeks 

They tell everyone up to 8 weeks but it's more like up to 12 weeks.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • schoolmum
    Options
    Hi @woodstar1984

In my experience they will send you the assessors report if you request it when they have it on their system. 

It shouldn't matter that it is with a decision/case manager it is your right to request it.

I wish you well and hope that you receive the correct award. You hear so many negative things regarding PIP experiences but I can only comment on my own PIP journey.

It was a very worrying time and a long wait but I had a good outcome that I am thankful for.

I had some very good advice from very kind and knowledgable members on here who were always ready to offer advice, support and share their own experiences of claiming PIP.

Hopefully you will get your decision within the stated time.

• woodstar1984
    Options
    @schoolmum thanks we'll I'm new to all.this a bit overwhelmed by it all 
  • lisa86
    lisa86 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    I  was under I was under the impression that the award letter included the actual report finding from the assessor, but if I’m wrong then I have been told wrong information for years, which wouldn’t surprise me as everyone lies to me and makes my life as difficult as possible. I was also told
    that requesting a copy of the report would delay the award.
    You clearly have more experience than me, people just walk all over
    me and take advantage . Delete my post if it’s incorrect

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    lisa86 said:
    I  was under I was under the impression that the award letter included the actual report finding from the assessor, 
    It doesn't although many of the phrases used in 'explaining' the decision are similar to those used in a report. Regardless, when you challenge a decision, the decision letter is all you need, getting sidetracked by the detail of the assessment report has little, if any, value.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • schoolmum
    Options
    lisa86 said:
    I  was under I was under the impression that the award letter included the actual report finding from the assessor, but if I’m wrong then I have been told wrong information for years, which wouldn’t surprise me as everyone lies to me and makes my life as difficult as possible. I was also told
    that requesting a copy of the report would delay the award.
    You clearly have more experience than me, people just walk all over
    me and take advantage . Delete my post if it’s incorrect

@lisa86

Hi Lisa
    No, I don't have much experience of claiming benefits at all.

I think our PIP journeys are a learning curve for all of us.

This was my first PIP claim. I had to finish work about 5 years ago and started claiming contribution based ESA about 2 to 3 years ago and was awarded LCWRA.

I knew what my limitations were and how I was effected but found it difficult when putting it down on paper.  I think it knocks your confidence even further when you realise just how much it effects you.

I already knew about my illnesses as I live with them every day but I read as much as I could regarding the correct way to complete the 'how my disability effects me' form and took the advice given freely and in their own time by a lot of very kind people on here who take an interest in helping others and have a wealth of information , knowledge and provide correct advice on what needs to be written on the form and the manner of the evidence needed ie consultants letters, medications and real everyday/ world examples of what happens when you do try to do something beyond your limitations.

There is a lot of incorrect information on different sites and pages on the Internet and many sites and Facebook are filled with some very negative posts  but I can honestly say the helpful advice, support and correct upto date information given by many of the knowledgeable members on this Scope Online Community site is invaluable. 

Please try to read previous chat history and posts. I found the search feature was a great shortcut and brings up exactly what is needed to help or you can post asking for advice or guidance to a question.

There will always be someone around to offer you advice and support. I have never found any lies on here    sometimes its not what you want to hear but it will be the correct information 

Take care and as well as possible Lisa and I truely hope you get the correct result if you do appeal.

• woodstar1984
    Options
    @poppy123456 well I'm have a **** memory and all this is stressing me out 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to read that you're feeling stressed @woodstar1984

Is there anything we can do to help you feel less stressed?

This process can be very overwhelming at times, so it's important to remember to take breaks from things if you need to. Do you have friends or family who can support you while you wait for a decision?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodstar1984
    Options
    @Alex_Scope ok got my support worker to ring pip today and request the pa4 he is going to go through it with me and my mental health team  when I get in the post I'm am very stressed been homeless last year was in a hostel then I've move 3times in that space of time now I'm in supported housing plus I've been fighting my mental health been on a major low so forgive me my posts are all over the place 
  • DmRitchie
    DmRitchie Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    edited June 2022
    Options
     While some of my assessors report was inaccurate, it also frequently stated I needed my partners help, which the decision maker seemed to read as I didn't require assistance. While the report may caused increased anxiety, it is worth having.
  • poppy123456
    edited June 2022
    Options
    DmRitchie said:
    and you cannot request it until you receive the decision letter.

That's not correct, sorry. Even though some call centre staff will tell you exactly this, it's not correct. You can most definitely request the report to be sent before the decision's been made. Many threads on here suggests exactly this because lots of members have received it before the decisions been made.
    Although i wouldn't advise members to request it purely because it caues far more anxiety than is needed.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no need to worry about your posts @woodstar1984 it's really helpful to understand how you're feeling, as well as what's been happening, so thanks for sharing that.

It's positive to hear that your support worker and mental health team are supporting you, and that you're now living in supported housing. If you are ever struggling with your mental health I can recommend Mind for information and advice, or if you'd just like someone to listen, you can always call Samaritans on 116 123 to chat, you don't need to be at crisis point. 

We'll be here to support you whatever the result of your claim, so please reach out if you need to :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • jessica141
    jessica141 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    Options
    Hi i requested the report as personally i felt it would help me knowing what possibly to expect, everyones different :)
  • Rin1472
    Rin1472 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Options
    Hi i requested the report as personally i felt it would help me knowing what possibly to expect, everyones different :)
    Hi Jessica,
     Which number did you use to request the report please? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Rin1472 said:
    Hi Jessica,
    0800 121 4433 its the PIP helpline.

• Rin1472
    Rin1472 Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Options
    Rin1472 said:
    Hi Jessica,
    0800 121 4433 its the PIP helpline.

Thank you. 

I sat on hold for 10 minutes only to be cut off before even getting through. I’ve started again and have now been on hold for 15 minutes so far without hearing a single human voice. They don’t make this easy do they? 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's not unusual to wait an hour for someone to answer. The best time to ring is usually as soon as they open.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.