If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

We are relaunching our membership - become a Scope member today for free!

Options

Comments

• louise321
    louise321 Scope Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Options
    I would love to be a part of this but as I struggle to go out I feel this would be difficult for me as since my accident loud noises and too many people causes me high anxiety’s. It’s all about baby steps I guess. But since joining scope a few days ago I enjoying being part of this community knowing I’m not alone and can reach out to speak to people in similar situations. 
  • louise321
    louise321 Scope Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Options
    Thank you for your comment. I have joined as thought why not as  I got nothing to loose & the other benefits seem appealing to me. 
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Giovanni_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 150 Pioneering
    Options
    louise321 said:
    Thank you for your comment. I have joined as thought why not as  I got nothing to loose & the other benefits seem appealing to me. 
    Thank you so much for joining @louise321 :)

As @Teddybear12 said, all our events area online. At Scope we adopted a "Digital first" policy, which means that we provide our services digitally first for accessibility purposes.

Welcome to the family then, and please let me know if you need anything!

PS: have you already accessed the members-only section in the online community?
    Giovanni Gaetani (he/him)
    Membership Programme Lead
    Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 508 Pioneering
    Options
    Can I just check: as Scope is a company limited by guarantee (and also a charity...this is a common structure for non profits) the Members, in the way you describe them (voting rights etc) usually have to make a "guarantee" to pay usually about £1 in the event that the charity is dissolved through not fault of the trustees.  Is this the case with Scope?  Thanks, and sorry I am a bit of a charity governance nerd!!
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can I just check: as Scope is a company limited by guarantee (and also a charity...this is a common structure for non profits) the Members, in the way you describe them (voting rights etc) usually have to make a "guarantee" to pay usually about £1 in the event that the charity is dissolved through not fault of the trustees.  Is this the case with Scope?  Thanks, and sorry I am a bit of a charity governance nerd!!
    There's absolutely nothing to pay when you join the membership group. Just Perks 10% off charity shop items, free vegan boxes and free training. Your the voice of the charity so we get to have input in elections, the Equality and Diversity Strategy and having a say on how we can make Scope a better place for everyone. I hope I have summed it up well @Giovanni_Scope if there's anything you would like to add feel free to add them or the rest of the members. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact Giovanni by emailing him or asking him in the community. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I definitely think you have summed it up well @durhamjaide2001. Thank you for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive and insightful response. As you say, there is no charge for joining the membership group   :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,884 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you @L_Volunteer as I say I am hoping to become a volunteer on this online community. I have good knowledge on EHCP Plans, therapy, equipment, and travelling. Let me know if anything comes up. 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It would be amazing to have you as a volunteer on the online community @durhamjaide2001. If anything comes up, it will be posted on https://www.scope.org.uk/volunteering/volunteering-opportunities/. I would encourage you to keep an eye out  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • durhamjaide2001
    Options
    I will do thank you 
  • forgoodnesssake
    Options
    I have just had it confirmed by Giovanni that whilst it is indeed free to join, when you sign up you will be agreeing to pay £5 in the (probably unlikely, but even so) eventuality that Scope as a charity has to be wound up.  Some charitable companies do ask for this guarantee money at the outset, a one off payment, and some don't and will only claim it in the event of going bust.  This is a legal obligation that all members are agreeing to when they join.  Just for clarity.
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, @forgoodnesssake

Just to reassure everyone: this is just a formality, it is extremely unlikely that Scope will wound up, that's why we don't ask for any money to our members at the moment of joining, nor will we in the future.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask here or via email at membership@scope.org.uk
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Heya, yes, I asked this too but the members are not trustees/Governors.

Also 👋🏻 hello from one governance nerd to another! 😂

• mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there!

Am glad to see folks joining Scope as members and @Giovanni_Scope nice to see your picture to put your face to your emails!

I've been a member a long time now and it's about us members sharing experiences, answering surveys, chatting on here and nothing like being a governor or trustee for a charity or non profit. 

Take care fellow Scopies... As we used to be called 😝 

Hope noone is naffed off with the weather.... Sooooo be spring 🤞🏼 
  • forgoodnesssake
    Options
    mossycow said:

There is some confusion I think about what a "member" actually is.  On this forum we are all members in the completely informal sense...however Scope is asking people to join the legal entity that is "Scope"...a company limited by guarantee, and thereby become Members, in a legal sense, with voting rights etc.  And as has been confirmed earlier by Giovanni, in the unlikely event of Scope going bust, the legal Members would all have to pay £5 towards covering its debts.

It is not the same as being a Trustee or a Director but Members do get to vote on issues which the Trustees/Directors want to address.

• Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    eebamak20 said:
    Hi, I am new here ! Hope you all are doing well!
    Hi @eebamak20

I'm doing relatively well, because it's Monday morning after all!

And I'm still recovering from a cold...

So nice to see you here! How are you doing?

Did you know that you can become a member of Scope for free today?

You simply need to complete this form.

And you can find more information about our membership on our website.

Thank you for your support!

Giovanni
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    mossycow said:

There is some confusion I think about what a "member" actually is.  On this forum we are all members in the completely informal sense...however Scope is asking people to join the legal entity that is "Scope"...a company limited by guarantee, and thereby become Members, in a legal sense, with voting rights etc.  And as has been confirmed earlier by Giovanni, in the unlikely event of Scope going bust, the legal Members would all have to pay £5 towards covering its debts.

It is not the same as being a Trustee or a Director but Members do get to vote on issues which the Trustees/Directors want to address.

Hi @forgoodnesssake

I agree with you that there's a bit of confusion here, but we are doing our best to clarify it.

As you say, one thing is being part of the online community, another is being a member of Scope.

As a member of Scope, you basically play a governance role in our organisation. By voting to elect our Board of Trustees for example. Or by participating in the Annual General Meeting where members can vote on constitutional changes, if any.

I hope that helps?

And yes, @mossycow, it's such a great moment for Scope membership!  <3

E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • MrsTear
    MrsTear Scope Member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Thank you for inviting us to become more involved. I have now signed up as a member. 
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    Amazing, Siobhan! Welcome!  <3
    E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • Lisa82
    Lisa82 Scope Member Posts: 202 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you for inviting us to become more involved. I have now signed up as a member. 
    Welcome 💖
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    I hope everyone is enjoying being a member. I know I am  :)

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.