Hi, my name is Nina007! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Nina007!

Options
Nina007
Nina007 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hello,

I was asked to join and share my story on here from Scope on Twitter, after receiving some very unpleasant abuse from an individual who has never met me, but is happy to be extremely vitriolic towards me because I am deaf, and also have ginger hair (!).

Today I took the steps to report this person ( reported online via police helpline ) and hopefully this will encourage others to come forward, those that have been abused online.

The turning point for me was that this person started to realise that he couldn't get to me anymore by mocking my disability so he decided on another tack - my sons.

That's too far.

Awaiting outcome of my report.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Nina007,

Welcome to the community! Many thanks again for sharing your story: for those who don't know, it is currently National Hate Crime Awareness Week. 

I'm so sorry you've had to endure such a horrible experience and received such personal abuse. If you're comfortable to do so, would you like to share some more about what happened? Do keep us updated with the progress of your report too. 
  • Nina007
    Options
  • Nina007
    Options
    The above is just a snippet of what I have been receiving on and off over the last 8 years.

There are others who have mocked me and wished me dead but I'd like to think it's 'banter' rather than bullying.
  • Nina007
    Options
    https://facemouth.uk/thread/1197012

The same person who made this thread is seen here belittling me ( I'm Nina on that site )
  • Nina007
    Options
    https://facemouth.uk/thread/1198022

There are two other individuals who have mocked me and wished me dead - I'm named as TheAuldYin in this thread.

I don't know why these people feel the need to constantly attack me, even when I am not part of the website anymore - the person called Podder has often wished that I was dead ( I suffer from PTSD and anxiety so those kind of comments make me feel much worse - I did reveal that I was suffering from this to the group, in the hope that they would realise their actions but instead they have used it against me )

I can tell the difference between banter and bullying and the above is on a very fine border.
  • Nina007
    Options
    I have only reported the one who contacted me via Facebook, I am awaiting the outcome of that, and if it goes well then I will pursue the rest of the individuals.

Meanwhile I have started to save anything that's abusive online, ready to report.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm truly sorry to see what you've had to endure @Nina007, nobody should be subjected to that sort of abuse from anybody else and it's extremely harrowing to see somebody target your disability so ignorantly. Social media is a blessing for many disabled people, but this sort of thing just goes to show the huge negatives it can present too. 

I have everything crossed for you that Facebook handles your report appropriately; please keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on. In case you haven't seen already, or for anybody else reading this who may have their own experiences of hate crime, Scope have some more information and support, as well as some guidelines on how to report these crimes, here. I'm so sorry again for what you've been through.

Brightness