Depression — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Depression

tobyrosco21
tobyrosco21 Community member Posts: 52 Listener
edited February 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hello to everybody. 

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    edited January 2018
    Hello @tobyrosco21, welcome!

Would you like to tell us a bit about yourself?
  • tobyrosco21
    I suffer from depression. 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    hi, @tobyrosco21

I also suffer from depression, first diagnosed when I was a small child, and I'm sure you'll meet many here who are in a similar place. There is a discussion area on Scope that you might like to have a look at https://search.scope.org.uk/s/search.html?collection=scope-meta&query=depression&f.Show%7Ccategory=Discussions
    In the meanwhile, maybe you could tell us a little more about yourself and how you are affected? And don't hesitate to ask any questions.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • tobyrosco21
    I basically lose the will to live.  Just spent six weeks off work due to a fractured spine. 
  • JennysDad
    hi, again, @tobyrosco21
    I'm going to guess that your forename is Toby? Okay, Toby, when you speak of 'losing the will to live', I know what you're talking about and have been there. Even now, life often seems to me to be scarcely worth the effort, though I continue making it. And - believe it or not - you have made it worth the effort for me, in your own way, because had I given up on living on any of the many occasions I've thought about it in my lifetime I would not have the privilege of being here, talking to you now.
    Hard as it may be to grasp, Toby, you matter.
    Your words in this post are rather few and far between. Maybe you find it particularly difficult to talk about your issues? A lot of us who battle with depression are afraid, at times, to talk about what really matters because we think we may be laughed at. That has certainly been my history.
    You will not be laughed at by anyone here. You are suffering, as are many, and many of us would be glad to do anything we can to help you and support you.
    How did you injure your back? What is your situation now? What is it at this particular moment that is getting you down so badly? 
    The more you can tell us about your own particular struggle, the more likely it is that we will be able to find the best resources to help you.
    Profoundest best wishes to you, Toby,
    Richard

• tobyrosco21
    I slipped on black ice just before Christmas. Going back to work soon on reduced hours.
  • JennysDad
    Hi Toby, @tobyrosco21
    Black ice is evil isn't it? Very nearly killed me once, but I was in a VW Beetle at the time, out over the Yorkshire moors.  I'm glad to hear you're recovering though. What kind of work do you do, that you are returning to, if you don't mind my asking.
    Best to you,
    Richard
  • tobyrosco21
    I'm a support worker .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tobyrosco21, and welcome! Sorry to hear that you're suffering from depression, you may be particularly interested in our mental health discussions.
  • tobyrosco21
  • JennysDad
    Hi toby, @tobyrosco21 Good to hear from you again. I was a Learning Support Worker up to my retirement - hard work enough, but not physically too demanding. Is your support work more 'hands on/physical' than that?
    Best to you,
    Richard
  • tobyrosco21
    I look after people who have behaviour problems
  • JennysDad
    Hi Toby,
    Yes, I goofed there. My job title was 'learning support assistant' rather than support worker, so I understand what you do but it is very different to what I did :)
    Remember I'm here if there is anything you want to talk about.
    Very best to you
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tobyrosco21
    Welcome to the community, it is great to see you had such a warm welcome from @RichardVR :)

If you are struggling with thoughts of suicide or mental health challenges, you can call the Samaritans. It is free to call and you dont have to be suicidal to call them, you can just get in touch to talk through your worries and troubles.  Their number is 116 123 and they are open 24 hours a day.

The MIND website also has a lot of information and support that you may find useful.

I look forward to chatting with you more, we are a friendly and safe community here and lots of our members find it helps to chat with other people who understand, so I hope you will join in and get involved. 
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • tobyrosco21
    Have called the Samaritans before they were no use.  Feel really tired today, doctor told me I'm dehydrated. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Oh Im sorry you didnt find them helpful :( 

Dehydration is awful and has such a negative effect on you physically and mentally.  There are rehydration sachets you can get from the chemist and some information on the NHS website about dehydration here.

Has your doctor suggested anything else? Have you spoken to them about your depression and low mood?
    Scope
  • tobyrosco21
    Doctor won't do anything about my depression apart for up my tablets.

Am drinking more so that should help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Do you think talking therapy might help @tobyrosco21 ? Could you speak to your doctor about them organising that for you?
    Scope
  • tobyrosco21
    No already done that as well as counselling 
  • Sam_Alumni
    There is some information on the MIND website about how to move forward when you feel that you have tried everything and nothing seems to work;

They say:

If you've already explored all the options your doctor has offered, and you haven't found the help you're looking for yet, it can feel like you've tried everything and nothing works. Unfortunately finding the help you need can sometimes be really difficult, and can take time.
    But it's important to remember that you're not alone, and that you deserve support.
    • Keep trying – don't give up. If you've had bad experiences with the people and professionals you've spoken to so far, you could give them another chance – or try again with someone new. (See our pages on being actively involved and making yourself heard more tips.)
    • Develop your coping techniques. Planning positive ways look after yourself while you're on waiting lists can help you cope. (See our page on self-care for mental health problems for tips.)
    • Talk to people who understand. Getting support and encouragement from people who've been in a similar situation can be really valuable, even if they can't change what you're going through. (See our pages on peer support for more information.)
    • Explore any alternatives. Our information pages on treatments and therapies could give you more options to discuss with your doctor. There may be something you haven't tried yet that could be helpful.
    • Find an advocate. An advocate can help you express your views and wishes, and help you access the help and support you deserve (see our pages on advocacy for more information).
    • Know your rights. Our legal pages explain your rights in a range of situations. If you're being treated unfairly by healthcare professionals, you can complain.
    Scope

Brightness