Have you had a successful PIP appeal? We need your tips - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you had a successful PIP appeal? We need your tips

Comments

• mags129
    mags129 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    thank you matilda i am dreading this for my husband as he is a nervous reck  so so stressed out, u gave me good advice very much appreicated xx
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations, @janice_in_wonderland!  Though I won my appeal, I shudder at the thought of looking at my appeal papers (apart from the tribunal award letter of course!).  The rest of the papers are still in a pile where I dumped them after the hearing.
  • janice_in_wonderland
    janice_in_wonderland Community member Posts: 265 Pioneering
    Ty @Matilda
    Yes I am the same 
    Too distressing to digest - it would add to the ordeal
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a great idea
  • Matilda
    @mags129

Remember that 69% of appeals succeed.
  • Hell59
    Hell59 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    It's very difficult going for the pip assessment. ..with brain fog etc you forget what you want too say...write down how you feel it helps...also explain why you have to do this , although you have filled out the pip form and written it all down...it's the most hardest stressful interview I have  gone through ....
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    This was posted by @Username_removed recently

1) Concentrate wholly on what you were like on the date of claim.

2) There are no “trick” questions. Tribunals are usually listed 20 minutes apart so, apart from the appeal papers, they need questions which cut across lots of functions. So the car question is brilliant because it indicates grip; mobility; dexterity; the ability to do something repeatedly; concentration and stamina. Instead of thinking negatively about such stuff think about what they’re getting at and your answers will be much better and more detailed. Similar questions include whether you’ve been on holiday recently. It feeds into mobility (getting across an airport); stamina; the ability to cope alone; the need for aids and appliances.

3) There are no set rules or order for a hearing beyind the requirement that it must be seen to be fair. 

4) Watch the judge’s pen. All three members may take notes but only the judge writes a record of proceedings. If you don’t want them to miss anything then remember that they can’t write as fast as you can speak, so watch their pen and slow down. Don’t worry about going too slow. They will tell you if you do.

5) Never interrupt any tribunal member. It is perfectly okay to challenge them provided it’s not rude or aggressive. However, think about whether what you’re challenging them on is directly related to points. If it’s not then better to focus on points. This is especially important because loads of people second guess the demeanour of tribunal members as determining whether they are pro or against and it’s largely nonsense. An aggressive, challenging member may well just be a poor communicator and wholly on your side right up to the point you challenge them etc.

6) Get yourself a representative and travel to the venue by whatever means makes you feel comfortable. It’s only ever an issue if you don’t explain what you did in full and if doing so contradicts your other evidence in some way for daily living and /or mobility.

7) Same goes for clothes. You need to wear whatever makes you feel comfortable and relaxed. If you’re not relaxed then the likelihood of you presenting well are much reduced. Dressing down is not a good idea unless that all you can afford. A person who feels naked without make-up or a suit abd tie will similarly be over stressed if they try to pretend they’re in their comfort zone dressing down. 

8) Other people’s tribunal experience can be valuable but it’s just that. Their experience. If they lost then it’s the tribunal to blame. If they win they everything they did is why they won and what you must do. The truth is usually very much in between.

9) Know your case. What points are you going for and why. What’s your evidence? “The HCP was a liar” is neither evidence nor a winning strategy. Also, know the appeal papers. What’s where. 

10) Do not be tempted to claim you’ve worsened since the date of claim. That’s a recipe for a failed appeal and an invitation to make another claim. Even if you have got worse always concentrate on your date of claim and what you were like then.

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • zakiyaah
    zakiyaah Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited April 2018
    Take your appeal all the way. I have so many diagnosed conditions like sciatica, it paralysis’s me causing incontinence and has spread upwards in my fingers arms neck and shoulders . I have severe arthritis if the feet, bunions, hep c, mental health issues, ptsd, incontinence, lack of hygiene due to I can’t lift my leg , I am so much worse than when I first got awarded it and now they want to take it away. You don’t have to stay calm and put your points across however you like as long as you don’t swear. The assessor lied, the Dwp took valid info out missed out the incontinece issues and the help that I get, all unlawful and against our human rights and equality act. Take it to court you will win and get full awardment. I then want to take it to the court of human rights, as we all should and Dwp should be fully charged for each claimant who has to appeal in court. They ignore gps letters and any other letters where as court don’t, the *********
  • cazza62
    cazza62 Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
    Hello just reading all these posts I need a bit of advice please I got my MR not happy with it should I wait for the dreaded brown envelope to arrive or make a complaint about what the health professional wrote if that's what they called 
    thanks x 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You can make a complaint about the HCP at any to to the assessment provider. This should be separate to your next step which is to appeal to the tribunal

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • cazza62
    cazza62 Community member Posts: 60 Courageous
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations !!!  
  • Matilda
    Really pleased for you, @Pennycrayon909!
  • Pennycrayon909
    Pennycrayon909 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I don’t think it has really sunk in yet as I am still a mess from it getting stopped last year. 
    Hope others have the same good luck.
    I think my daughter was right on making me appeal as she said they probably refuse people and see who bothers to complain as a lot won’t bother x
  • janice_in_wonderland
    Keep going until the end but get support

Finally I’ve got back pay in my account

I know I ought to celebrate but I really don’t feel up to it in fact I am worse bc of the long battle 

It’s been so stressful I am sad to say it’s had long term effect on my health 

Get as much help as you can 
  • Pennycrayon909
    Pennycrayon909 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    That is exactly what I feel like Janice.
    My daughter said why aren’t you happy ? It is sorted out now ?
    also said what on earth would I have been like if had been refused
  • janice_in_wonderland
    Yes I was thinking about what you said @Pennycrayon909

I hope we feel stronger soon

Mine went on for 16 months as it was adjourned bc I moved & dwp failed to change my address twice on top of a catalogue of health problems

So now I live like a hermit n only go out if I have to n feel up to it which is rare n sad

new neighbours wonder why I prefer being home alone in silence but this has finished me off n often wonder what I can cope with so day to day basics is more than enough to avoid further issues 
  • Matilda
    Yes, I think that many, many people don't have the strength to appeal.
  • janice_in_wonderland
    Yes @Matilda I totally agree 

Then they battle on with life adding to their struggles 

This is why I regard it as ‘slow manslaughter’ - it’s the only way I can sum it up into 2 words 

however the winter is over so let’s hope some decent weather helps 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.