Hi, my name is dogmad! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is dogmad!

dogmad
dogmad Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I'm 70 years of age and a retired psychologist and dog trainer . Dogs are much more fun than humans, I feel :-)

Comments

• peterpete
    peterpete Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    His welcome dog man
  • dogmad
    I'm now housebound with osteoarthritis (diagnosed about 30 years ago) and now have osteoporosis to go with it (I've lost about 6 inches in height ! ), as well as type 2 diabetes, skin cancer and Parkinsons Disease. I have a few other challenges, but my biggest challenge is depression, especially now that I can no longer live with a dog (or any other companion animal), having been with dogs, in various scenarios, for over half a century.  :)
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @dogmad and a warm welcome to the community. Glad to have you with us.
    You have my genuine sympathy where dogs are concerned. I have always wanted one but never had the money or the space to provide properly for one. We have a visitor where I live who brings in a couple of working dogs - drug detecting, I seem to recall - and I love to spend a little time with them.
    And even if I can't have a dog of my own, there are people enough who tell me I am barking.
    Perhaps you could have a look at our categories/threads and see if there are any conversations or resources that might be of interest to you?
    Do keep in touch - it is great to hear from you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard

• dogmad
    Thanks a lot Richard :-) Will do :smile:

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dogmad, welcome to the community!
  • dogmad
    Thanks @Pippa - still learning my way around the site ! ;-)
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @dogmad
    I have two lovely dogs, one is a jack russell/border collie cross and one is a long haired chihuahua.  The chihuahua definitely rules the roost!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • dogmad
    I can quite believe that @Sam_Scope :-D  Have you seen "Beverley Hills Chihuahua" ? If you haven't, I can strongly recommend a viewing )or 3) ! :-D

• mia63101
    mia63101 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Hi, I also have just joined. Like you, my dogs are everything. My main and reliable companions.
    kind regards.
  • mia63101
    mia63101 Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Hi dogmad, you must hate being without dogs I. Your life, especially as you were also a dog  trainer must be empty, I fully get it. Depression is hard to fight off when your days seem so empty. Is it because of your illness or have you had to move to a “no pets” place? 
    Try to keep smiling.

Brightness