Hi, my name is spain! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is spain!

Options
spain
spain Community member Posts: 1 Listener

L4\5 and L3\4     i am desperate to find a back surgeon in the uk.   now this doesnt mean ANY surgeon as back pain can mean anything.
i have had back pain for nearly 15 years, and yes,i had doctors who yptold me it was all in my head.
looking for a surgeon, i had an op in preston first but first over a period of time had the usual injections. X stop was invented in America and despite good stories that people tell in the newspapers i had "Inspace,"  similar to X Stop. i did a lot oif reseasrch and even interviewed the rep. to be truthful i forget how horrific the op was. anyway we came over to spain on holiday and getting off the plane i knew something was wrong. After the holiday they told me it had slipped. so cutting the story short i was referred to Warrington. i took my MRI and you could actually see pound notes flashing in front of this blokes eyes. so i had another op, called decompression, i think most people will know what it entails.That cost me £8000 now you might think i have plenty of money but i didnt have and considering we all contributed to the National Health i begrudged every penny. i felt the surgeon was laughing at me as he was telling me about his holidays and daughter. the op done, pain was still there. 
i think im quite in the know now about sciatica, the pain, where it comes from etc.as thast happened in 2009. the spanish health service is fantastic but years down the line i am still on lyrica and pazital (38% tramadol the rest paracetamol)  i am sick to death of my 4 monthly interviews. i still have the same pain, you name a product for pain and i have it. today was the last straw. i didnt sleep last night.  at 3 in the morning i thought this pain is not going away so i took another dose of lyrica  and pazital.  didnt sleep despite the drug over dose and today i had to walk quite away, how the hell would i do it.  well i did the walk, talking to my partner on the way. this was 11in the morning and by 1.30 i had had a good walk and not really much pain. oh i know exercise is good for me but then my partner asked if i wanted to go to the shopping centre i went ?  on the way, my partner asked if i wanted to go to Benidorm instead, so off we went and having my meds and a walk, i felt ok.
The thing that worries me is the pain. i always have had sciatica ...pain that went from my groin down to my hip\thigh on my right side.
This week i was sitting on my chair with my legs lifted  in front of me, my left knee went bang so loud you wouldnt believe it. as yet i havent had much pain in that area.i honestly was frightened it was so loud. does anyone know what its about? Cant be gass in my bone can it?  im sitting here and still have a bit of sciatica but know i will soon have to take my meds.
this is just a short story, you may ask about the hospital?  ive been going there since about 2005. i was referred to a surgeon in valencia and he put me off an op as he said it was dangerous!!! He didnt want to do the op i am sure. im not sure anything can be be done if you have sciatica you just have to live with it. Now my pain dr says i cant have any more injections and was referred to a physio but 3 weeks to go before i see him, the appointment for a physio hasnt come. is it worth me coming back to the uk ?  will i just have the same treatment( or not) or is there a surgeon that has a good name?
Before i leave my short story, my best treatment for sciatica is a hot water bottle. i have also an idea from reading "stuff" that a going to the loo every day  helps!! ! i live in a good place for fruit but also for breakfast i mix quaker oats weith a few different nuts and seeds some fresh fruit and 3 teaspoons on top of yogurt with seeds in. i have a good healthy diet.   i
salads and fish 3 times a week and we watch the sugar intake. what else can i do to take this pain away!!! if you have got this far with my story, well done. i hope tomorrow will be a better day. i have so much to do, the garden, my knitting and lots of other things. 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @spain   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and sharing.

Sorry to hear of your back pain.  We are unfortunately unable to provide a request for medical advice. Under SCOPE rules.

Please have a look at our information, advice under Dealing with Chronic Pain.  This may be useful to you. 

We are a supportive community. Friendly care and share.

Please ask if we can advise on anything else.

Please also can I add you are doing lots to help yourself.  Always a pleasure to share any recipes or well being advice.

Have good food knowledge and like yourself believe helping and having healthy diet and nutrition on The Med diet myself.

Beneficial to my well being.  Have mental health and physical.

Pleasure to meet you.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @spain welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about your pain. Have a look at the link @thespiceman provided to read about tips on dealing with chronic pain and to read other members experience.

Do let us know if we can be of ny further assistance! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @spain, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thank you for sharing this with us, and I'm truly sorry to hear about your pain. As the others have suggested, do take a look at our dealing with chronic pain discussions and get involved: I'm sure there will be others who can empathise with your experiences, and hopefully share some tips and advice. I hope today's as kind as possible to you!

Brightness