Should there be a DWP representative at a tribunal? — Scope | Disability forum

Should there be a DWP representative at a tribunal?

WirralWoman Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
What a useful site! My son, who is 35, is autistic, has hearing and visual impairments, is dispraxic and had a stroke 3 years ago . We have just had a judgement in his favour from a Tribunal - 10 months after the initial assessment.
On the Tribunal panel, which is, obviously independent of the DWP, there was a judge, a doctor and a worker in the disability field. There were no members of the DWP in attendance. I am surprised that other commenters have said there was a DWP representative at their Tribunal. Can anyone clarify this, please? 


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,390 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hello @WirralWoman   Pleased to meet you  welcome. 

    Thank you for sharing and joining.  Good to hear you were successful in your sons  tribunal.

    Thank you for your question. I am unsure of any answer to your question.

    There are members of our community or members of our team. Who can advise.  Hopefully be in touch.

    We are a supportive, friendly community.  Please ask if we can advise on anything.

    Have a look at our information on Talk about Specific conditions may be of use to you.

    Hope that helps.

    Take care


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,677 Disability Gamechanger
    Greats news! Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't a representative from DWP.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    It depends on many factors, the claim itself or whether there is a DWP rep local.

  • WirralWoman
    WirralWoman Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for the responses, folks! 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.