Esa backdated income related and premiums - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa backdated income related and premiums

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    jamie86 said:
    Hi I’ve just found about this from my mum how do I know if I can backdated I am on ESA any help would be nice thank you 
    If you transferred from Incapacity benefit then any income related top up will totally depend on your circumstances and any savings/capital you have.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • scraggs
    scraggs Community member Posts: 76 Courageous
    Hi I have had to endure a ftf medical assessment :-( however I have been awarded contribution based ESA support group as before I have just telephoned DWP as my award never informed me how long the award was ? They have told me 3 yrs!! I was on the understanding that the government on people who are not going to get better is that they do not get to go for or be assessed if they fit the criteria ? Poppy I believe gave me the link above,but I have not been put in this to not be assessed again ( secondary progressive ms ) I'm near going to get better so why do I have to endure another ftf assesment in 3 yrs?? Tired of it all I really am trying or being forced to justify myself and controlled by DWP not allowing me to live a normal as life that I should be living :-( can anyone give any advice as how I can put to DWP to change it to the chronic conditions so as I don't have to endure this again any help gratefully appreciated x also asked them about if I had been put in right group since migrating over from icb to ESA contribution support group rather confused as I've not been able to work so a little confused why I'm in contribution ESA  about backpayments they just said if we owe it you will be contacted !! ( I'm still on contribution based with new award ) :-(
  • poppy123456
    I'd advise you to get further advice from your local welfare rights or other disability advice centre about the severe conditions group.

Being entitled to an Income Related top up on your ESA will depend on your circumstances. Living with a partner that works, household income, savings/capital etc. DWP will contact those that transferred from IB but there's most likely a backlog and you will be contacted sometime in the future.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • herbie1986
    herbie1986 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Johnny303 said:
    Hi Ive just joined today  so thanks for having me in the site. I recieved a letter three weeks ago saying I could be entitled to backdated income related esa and premiums due to dwp's error in migrating people over from incapacity benefit to income based. I was migrated to contribution based which is inevitable that it was a mistake. I'm sure many people on here know Already and I'm sorry if it's a repeat of a similar thread as I couldn't find anything similar. To cut a long story short I filled in a form over the phone 2 weeks ago and I was told it had been passed on to the processing team. Has anyone had experiences of actually receiving any backdated money owed yet? And how long do it roughly take? I'm still waiting on my pip care component being reinstated which means I can't get my sda premiums at the moment either until that's done, as I was in respite for a while following time in Icu. They don't seem to hurry with these things but are quick enough to take any overpayment quickly. It's a disgrace they knew about this since 2013 but denied it until 2016 and only just started doing something about it. I knew I wasn't receiving the right amount and have questioned it alot in the past  especially why I was on contribution based when I hadn't worked for quite a while. I've moved back to my own flat now and am struggling to make ends meet until I have my other benefits reinstated. I'd be grateful if anyone who has had success getting any backdated income based and premiums could give me and idea how long it took. Thanks for listening  
    I have read on social media one person had £8000
  • poppy123456
    Some are owed as much as £20,000 if they should have been claiming both premiums for the past 7 years.
  • Bob677
    Bob677 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Been paid £12000 this year going back now to August 2011 
  • Deanno84
    Deanno84 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Bob677 said:
    Been paid £12000 this year going back now to August 2011 
    How long did it take from sending the form back to getting your backdated money ?
  • Bob677
    Bob677 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    6 months first payment then 9 months second payment 
  • scraggs
    Hi there I am still confused if I am entitled to this backdated money? I was transfered from incapacity benefit in 2011 to ESA contribution based ESA support group, I do have a husband who me was claiming carers allowance at time for me I've just had my ftf assessment and been still put in contribution based ESA ? I have not worked to pay stamp so rather confused as why contribution based ? Is it because husband works ? But didn't for many years as he was my carer ? We had no income in 2011 I have never had free dentist prescriptions or glasses :-( I just can't get my head around the ESA backdated premiums and as to whether I would be owed any ? Also I am on DLA middle care should they be paying me a premium ? Very confused :-( any info would be gratefully received x
  • poppy123456
    @scraggs Everyone that was transferred from IB to ESA was placed onto contributions based ESA, whether you previously worked or not. What DWP failed to do was assess people to see if they were entitled to an Income Related top up. Income Related top ups are means tested and receiving this will depend on household income, savings and capital.

When your husband wasn't working were you claiming ESA as a couple? If you weren't what other benefits besides the carers allowance was he claiming?

The extra premium you're talking about that is paid alongside a DLA/PIP award is called the severe disability premium. Unless your husband claims a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then you won't be entitled to this premium. It's also not paid if someone is claiming carers allowance for looking after you.

DWP will eventually contact you, if they haven't already. When they do, you'll need to fill out the form with all your details, including your husbands and if you're owe any money you'll receive it. If he's working at the moment then you won't be entitled to Income related top up from the time he worked.
  • scraggs
    Hi poppy at the time hubby had carers allowance I had ESA cb income support of £3.15p also received DLA middle care and high rate mobility nothing else 
  • scraggs
    No don't think it was couples ESA just me ?
  • poppy123456
    ESA CB Income support doesn't make any sense. When your husband was claiming carers allowance how much ESA were you receiving per week?
  • scraggs
    Think at the time it was 99 pounds a week then received 3.15p a week income support the ESA now is 220 I think approx 
  • scraggs
    Every two weeks that is I think the ESA contribution is 110 a week don't know without looking into bank 
  • scraggs
    This is why I'm very confused about it all :-(
  • poppy123456
    If you've been contacted all you can do is fill out the form with all the information and evidence it asks you for and wait for DWP to assess you.

If you haven't been contacted then you need to wait for them to do this. They are in the process of contacting everyone that transferred from IB. It's impossible to advise further on an internet forum.
  • scraggs
    Thankyou poppy 
  • poppy123456
    No problem.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    Hi guys.  Seems I am late in the process, I got my letter about 4 weeks ago, I originally thought it was just a reassessment of my eligibility for IR topups, as I got an appointment letter for a F2F the same week, as I am already in the reassessment process for ESA itself.

My history is this.

I was previously on IB (contributions based).  Was migrated to ESA in 2012, and put straight on contribution based WRAG although moved to SG after successful reconsideration request (very surprised as it was just a 2 line request on the appeal form with no further evidence, then week later got SG award letter) and every WCA since then has kept me in SG, was never ever sent an ESA3 voluntarily by the DWP.  I originally didnt think anything of it as the base levels of money between CB and IR based ESA are very similar, I did not know originally IR based ESA granted EDP.  Then in 2016 I took part in some discussion on CAG and it was interesting, some people when put in SG on CB based ESA were getting ESA 3's to fill out whilst others were not, it seemed to depend on what area you was in.  This is when I found out you could get IR topup's on top of CB based ESA and get the EDP payments.  So I rang the DWP and requested an ESA3 form which they sent me, I filled it in and a month or so later my payments went up, it was backdated only to the date of the form and no conversation ever took place about backdating it to 2012.  So since mid 2016 I have been on IR topup payments.

The letter I got last month stated I have been underpaid between 2012 and 2016 and had another ESA3 form to fill in, but I initially put it as low priority as I thought I was just been reassessed, it was only when I went to fill it out I noticed the dates they put on it.  I thought it was very strange why would the DWP voluntarily contact me to pay me money they owe, so then I googled it and found about everything that is going on.  I ended up having them do the form for me over the phone, sadly tho my case is not as simple as it could be, I didnt want to lie to them so they were informed my bank balance was over £5500 for a period of just 6 weeks in the 4 year period, this small 6 weeks period meant they wanted bank statements for the entire 4 year period.  The reason was I had a backdated DLA 2 year payment following a tribunal case I won.  The statements have now been sent but I guess it means processing time will be higher, was really hoping it would be a quick process and I would have the money by christmas but it looks like people are having to wait several months for their money?

I know now backdating is now all the way as the DWP backed down with an impeding JR court case coming up so thats good news at least.

To me its clearly an error DWP side, due to the fact some people were getting ESA 3's, it simply looks like some departments were not kept up to speed on the process to be followed for CB claimants.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.