Esa backdated income related and premiums - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa backdated income related and premiums

Comments

• C_Herath2009
    C_Herath2009 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    I can't make head nor tail off what group i am in?I am a single parent to a 9 year old living with my Parents as i can no longer look after myself let alone my child-i have had a Brain Injury-Epilepsy(List is to long and boring ..)But i get full PIP?(As in Full Mobility and full for Care my Parents are to old to Claim carers -would be removed from my ESA and TAXED??Figure that one out i get Severe Disability Premium ?So what does it mean what group am i in at the moment until someone fills out this Mission Impossible (Capability to Work Form?)That greated me on Wednesday and made me cry and why have they upgraded
     to white Envelopes at least before you could prepare yourself for impending doom with a Brown Envelope?Do the white ones cost more i wonder and are they good for the enviroment they sure are not good for my Health i had to go straight to the Dr's in tears on crutches..To be handed yet another blood test form -Some kind off Christmas this looks set to be!!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    @C_Herath2009 Your PIP award doesn't determine what group you're in for ESA, it's totally different. There's 2 groups for ESA WRAG and Support Group. Contributions based, which isn't means tested  and Income related which is means tested. If you're in the Support Group in Income related then it's £127.15 per week. Contributions based Support Group is £110.75 per week. WRAG is slightly less per week.

The severe disability premium is only paid on top of your ESA if you live alone, or your classed as living alone. As you live with your parents then they would need to be claiming a qualifying benefit like PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or AA for you to qualify for the SDP. If they don't have either of these awards then you won't be able to claim the severe disability premium.

I realise how stressful these work capability assessments are, having very recently been through the same thing myself. They can re-assess you at anytime unless you're placed into the severe conditions group (Certain people in the Support Group only) Not everyone will qualify for the severe conditions group. If you do get placed into this group after this next re-assessment then it will tell you on the decision letter when you finally receive it. Being placed into this group will mean future assessments will be turned off and you'll remain in the Support Group for as long as you're claiming ESA for.

Please get some help filling out that form and remember to put as much information down as possible about how your conditions affect you. Send any relevant evidence you have with your forms. You need to make sure it's returned back no later than the date stated on the letter. Failure to do this could mean your ESA will stop for failing to return the form. There's no extensions of time for returning the form for ESA.

ESA50 work capability forms always come in a white envelope because they're sent straight from the health assessment advisory centre and not from DWP.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • worried33
    worried33 Community member Posts: 492 Pioneering
    I preferred the brown envelopes simply because I would never miss it, with my post, brown envelopes are opened right away, white are put aside as they usually statements or bills or junk mail.  ESA50/IB50 were not always white envelopes, but I cannot remember when it changed.

Also I know the feeling myself on WCA, I had one myself only 2 weeks ago.  So I am currently stressed myself not knowing the outcome of this WCA, I am more nervous than usual as its my first one with maximus instead of ATOS.
  • C_Herath2009
    ?‍♀️?‍♀️More confused its me thats ill not them-although they will be at this rate i get Severe Disability Premium they know i live with my Parents as i have to i am constantly falling over dropping things (They have to remind me to take my medication let alone what day or time it is I have just found out i get income related ESA?(I had to look it up?)What is SWAG?I thought SWAG was stollen cash??
  • C_Herath2009
    Opps sorry WRAG?please dont explain i feel like i am going round backwards on my head
  • poppy123456
    @C_Herath2009 It does seen like you are confused. The benefit system is very confusing for a lot of people.  The severe disability premium is not paid unless you satisfy the conditions i stated above, it has nothing to do with your conditions, it's about living alone or being classed as living alone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    worried33 said:
    I preferred the brown envelopes simply because I would never miss it, with my post, brown envelopes are opened right away, white are put aside as they usually statements or bills or junk mail.  ESA50/IB50 were not always white envelopes, but I cannot remember when it changed.

Also I know the feeling myself on WCA, I had one myself only 2 weeks ago.  So I am currently stressed myself not knowing the outcome of this WCA, I am more nervous than usual as its my first one with maximus instead of ATOS.
    I've been claiming ESA for 6 years and for me they've always come in white envelopes. I did actually forget about this though and was surprised myself when i received my ESA50 form back in August of this year. ESA is the most stressful for me, i must admit.

As you've had your WCA then you can ring DWP to ask for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. I did this myself last week and received it 2 days later. This will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report. My decision arrived 2 days ago and they went with the report. Good luck with yours and hopefully it won't be too long for a decision.
  • worried33
    This has been the longest one for me from date I got the form, I got the form I think early autumn 2018.  F2F booked for nov, then deffered for recording, rebooked for Feb 2019, then they cancelled apparently because the waiting room was too packed, I never expected at that point to be waiting another 8 months, all the way until Nov 2018, and then they tried to cancel again, anxiety was coming out of every hole in my body at this point, I refused and had the assessment.  But if I am found fit for work I am going to feel like an idiot for making them go ahead.  For this reason I am not overly keen on ringing them, but at the same time I just want to know so I can stop thinking about it, so I may give them a ring tomorrow thanks.

It is a similar thing but to a much lower extent with the waiting times for these ESA3 forms, I dont know why people are been made to wait so long, other than the DWP doing it just because they can.
  • poppy123456
    The ESA3 forms is a totally different thing to a WCA reassessment. Those forms are being sent because of the underpayment when those transferred from IB to ESA. It can take 12 weeks or more to be assessed for the income related top up. Some people have had decisions on this in about 1 month from returning the forms, others not as quick. Depends on circumstances most likely.
  • BillyMac
    BillyMac Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi I'm new to the forum and after reading previous posts I'm as confused as ever regarding these ESA back payments.
     I had a major stroke in 2006 two years after a serious accident at work that assessor said contributed towards the stroke and awarded me 50% of full rate Industrial Injuries Benefit, after my sick pay from my employer ran out I started to claim benefits. I'm on DLA high rate mobility,middle rate care and although my GP insists I should be on high rate care I've never pushed it ,not wanting to rock the boat after some of the horror stories I've heard when folks have been reassessed..
    i was on IB and migrated to Cont ESA in 2011 although the ESA 3 form I received 2 weeks ago said 2013.
    My wife quit work to be my full time carer after my stroke and gets CA.
    So to recap I am in receipt of 
    DLA High Rate Mobility 
    DLA Middle Rate Care
    Cont ESA
    IIDB at 50% of full rate.
    and I also have a small Occupational Pension of around £20 per week.
    My wife gets CA only 
    After I sent ESA3 back I got a phone call to confirm my OP payment and asking if I had any savings.
    When I asked why I had been sent the form I was told I was being reassessed for my ESA payment,no mention of any possible underpayment and it would take 12 weeks to complete.
    The ESA3 was first I'd heard of any problems with underpayment ( if any in my case) with migration from IB to ESA.
    If I'm entitled to a sum of money I'll get it if not I won't it's as simple as that and I won't ruin my Christmas stressing over it .
    After my stroke I'm just glad to be here and see my grandkids grow up as it was touch and go for three days afterwards.
    My advice to everyone is don't stress over maybes what ifs etc.
    Que Sera Sera

• worried33
    I gave them a ring, and they told me the statements havent even been logged on the system yet, since I cannot remember if I included the letter/slip with it meaning potentially the envelope just has the statements but nothing identifying who they for, I asked for another envelope so I can send them again.  But wow the DWP are slow, I forgot how slow they are, as I havent had to send anything to them for several years now.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @BillyMac, and thanks for sharing this with us. I hope you find being part of the community helpful!
  • BillyMac
    BillyMac Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Welcome to the community @BillyMac, and thanks for sharing this with us. I hope you find being part of the community helpful!
    Thank you for the welcome ,I'm just finding my way around the forum ,I'm sure it will be of help with any questions I may have on benefits, as I said in first post I'm one of those that accepts what I get in benefits . More of a fear like many others of rocking the boat and risking losing all or part of what I already have to be honest.That may be wrong thing to do, I really don't know but if I see anything on here that I may think I will or have been entitled too I will be sure to find out what forms I need to get to make a claim.
    I can barely believe I have been claiming benefits for 12 years now.
    My experience over that period tells me that DWP staff are poorly trained and the system requires a complete overhaul.
  • starbuck
    starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    We've just had to fill in one of these forms for my husband. We cannot make head nor tail of the whole thing. Will he be entitiled to disability premiums? At present he gets £110.75 a week and he's on contributions based esa. I'm paid carers allowance for looking after him and we also receive Income Support as a top up. 
    Which premiums would he be eligible for? I've looked at the gov.uk site and it's really confusing. 
    I'm worried in case he's eligible for a large backpayment (which does sound crazy I know!) as I've read that you have to spend the money within a year. I have no idea how we would get rid of a large sum of money in that time as we're not big spenders. 
    My husband says I'm worrying unnecessarily as we don't know if we will even receive a backpayment. I don't understand why people aren't given the equivalent time of the backpayment to spend any money owing to them iyswim. 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2018
    @starbuck as you're claiming Income Support then this will counted as income £1 for £1 when claiming any Income Related top up on his ESA. Whether he's entitled to any backdated money will depend how long you've claimed Income support for and whether you worker previously to claiming that.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If you do receive a lump sum then it should be disregarded for a year. Then if you still have savings in excess of £6000 it will impact on the IR element
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • starbuck
    starbuck Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    edited November 2018
    I haven't worked since he became disabled as I'm his full time carer. I've claimed Income Support for just over a year. 
  • poppy123456
    They will contact him when a decision's been made and it can take 12 weeks.
  • Johnny303
    Johnny303 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Johnny303 said:
    Hi Ive just joined today  so thanks for having me in the site. I recieved a letter three weeks ago saying I could be entitled to backdated income related esa and premiums due to dwp's error in migrating people over from incapacity benefit to income based. I was migrated to contribution based which is inevitable that it was a mistake. I'm sure many people on here know Already and I'm sorry if it's a repeat of a similar thread as I couldn't find anything similar. To cut a long story short I filled in a form over the phone 2 weeks ago and I was told it had been passed on to the processing team. Has anyone had experiences of actually receiving any backdated money owed yet? And how long do it roughly take? I'm still waiting on my pip care component being reinstated which means I can't get my sda premiums at the moment either until that's done, as I was in respite for a while following time in Icu. They don't seem to hurry with these things but are quick enough to take any overpayment quickly. It's a disgrace they knew about this since 2013 but denied it until 2016 and only just started doing something about it. I knew I wasn't receiving the right amount and have questioned it alot in the past  especially why I was on contribution based when I hadn't worked for quite a while. I've moved back to my own flat now and am struggling to make ends meet until I have my other benefits reinstated. I'd be grateful if anyone who has had success getting any backdated income based and premiums could give me and idea how long it took. Thanks for listening  

• Johnny303
    Johnny303 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi just to update as Ive been very ill in hospital,I finally was awarded 4,200 backdated and also 900 esa,everything is eventually sorted and I'm recieving all my high amounts of mobility and care too,sorry I couldnt reply earlier and thanks for all comments regarding this

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.