pip appeal - panel had issue with a self purchased stick - warning to others I guess :) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip appeal - panel had issue with a self purchased stick - warning to others I guess :)

davyjaz101
davyjaz101 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi had an pip appeal and they had an issue that I was no longer using the nhs stick that I was first given in 1997 (since then I just started using my own bought from amazon as they were better sticks – anti shock, folding, cork handle etc)  Had many doc/physio appointments using this stick and never mentioned as an issue

Panel adjourned hearing (my physio report was missing) but in the letter the stated – we have an issue as he was using a self purchased stick. The doctor on the panel grilled me about it – where did I buy it – how often did I change the rubber tips (ferals as the doc informed me they are called )

So if like me you are not using your nhs stick prob best to get one again if apealing IMHO

I am of course asking for advice about this :)  Any othe person had this issue of using self purchased stick bcome up in PIP?

Thanks ps first post :smile:

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @davyjaz101
    Pip is a benefit to help people with the extra costs of having a long term disability.
    I would believe that a self purchased walking stick would fall into this category.Especially if it is more comfortable to use than the one provided for you by the NHS.
    I am copying in @Username_removed as he probably has more info on this than I do he is a lot better informed than myself on these matters.
    Good luck Debsidoo.x
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @davyjaz101, and a warm welcome to the community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and sorry to hear that you've had these difficulties. I must say, I've not seen anything like this mentioned on the community before but I'm sure there'll be others who can share their own stories. Fingers crossed for the outcome you're hoping for, and do let us know how you get on!
  • axwy62
    axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    I'm finding this a bit baffling. For lots of items, the NHS only supplies the 'budget' version so there must be loads of people who buy something better themselves.
  • davyjaz101
    davyjaz101 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited December 2018
    many thanks for the detailed reponses and why the panel might be thinking along the lines they were  - did find the whole thing baffling when they brought it up - I did have a supporting letter from my GP as extra evidence for appeal and it mentioned that I rely on a stick to walk - also provided my last physio letter which also stated 'uses stick heavly for his gait' so was a bit stumped why it was an issue  - and why ths supporting evidence was not acceptable to them - anyway going in with an advisor next time :) at least it was adjurned so I get a second chance to state my case and hopefully my new physio review will help back up what im saying

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds really odd. Panel didn't mentioned my stick, which obviously was self purchased one.  Disabilty person asked if I'd decided upon my aids myself or if I'd been advised to use them but she didn't make a big thing of it.  I won my appeal.

Good luck with your second hearing.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018
    A very interesting post.
    I wear (should) two hearing aids which were supplied by the NHS. I also use a wooden walking stick to help me get about as best I can (never been assessed for one probably because I never asked for one).

What has been said may well be the reason why those two items alone were never accepted by the assessor which I thought at the time was strange.

Having now read this post I can perhaps understand why. A typical wooden walking stick (2 points) is easily bought from most chemists and I agree it could be for 'like' and not 'need'.

Likewise the hearing aids were never noted (2 points). A quick check on ebay and I find a similar set to my Siemens being sold as a pair for under £25.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hearing-Aid-Portable-In-The-Ear-Invisible-Amplifier-Adjustable-Tone-Digital-UK/273486834614?hash=item3fad15ebb6:g:3eEAAOSw9~5bsDHT:rk:35:pf:0

I can now see why evidence to show that the aids are NHS provided.
  • Yadnad
    Do they all have to agree in order to make a decision or can it not be a majority vote?
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Hi iv had comments about my walking stick from the QE hospital.
    I pointed out that the 2 sticks tbey sent me home with made load clicking sounds which drove everyone bonkers so they bought me 2 nice sticks that are shaped for my hands ie: arthritis.
    The doctor took a liking  to 1 and walked about with it.
    He did say that most people had sticks that are far too long and some that are too short 
  • AndMac
    AndMac Community member Posts: 27 Pioneering
    I found Mike's comments interesting, gave me some food for thought!
    Nothing like this happened to me, how odd it seems.
    I've never had an NHS stick, it wouldn't have entered my head to ask for one. I've just graduated to a walking frame from sticks. as it's safer and gives more support.
    The NHS supplied equipment is so ugly, why would you want to use it? I spend a substantial amount of my PIP on better versions of stuff the NHS supplies.
    I have tripod ferrules on the sticks as they are a lot safer.
    My PIP assessor (in July 2017) actually noted the point that I had bought my own equipment with a view  to keeping myself safer.
    I got straight through the assessment, no appeals. and was awarded standard care. enhanced mobility. The correct decision, in my opinion.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Pippa_Scope @Sam_Scope is it not possible to stop receiving notifications of posts by people on the ignore list?
    I am checking this out for you @Username_removed

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Yadnad
    edited December 2018
    Removed by moderator
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    I too would like to know if there's a way to turn off notifications because i also have some on my ignore list, as advised by the scope team.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Oh, I purchased my own stick because when an OT came to my home she saw I already had a stick and just adjusted it to my height and said it was fine but she ordered a perching stool and shower chair which I still have. I've since replaced the stick with one from Amazon. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't have any notifications turned on, as a community champion I read every post anyway
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I have removed the comment @Username_removed

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    When I asked about a walking stick ( wooden type) the nurse said due to health and safety they are not allowed to use a saw to cut to correct size but I could have an aluminium NHS one, so I have since bought my own three so far keeping one on my scooter and one for the garden and a very nice wooden carved one bought from a charity shop one of a kind so I had to have it.
  • kazzy1
    kazzy1 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
    It's crazy. I paid to upgrade my wheelchair as I'm a permanent user to something a lot lighter. Must make note to use old NHS heavy beast.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.