medical assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

medical assessment

Options
Johnsully7
Johnsully7 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
edited May 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Sister has medical assessment on Friday. Friend/carer going with her can i go and make sure correct information is relayed to assesser?can I also take notes if she needs to appeal.

Comments

• Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,780 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Johnsully7 ;) How are you doing today?

Yes, you can go with your sister. Is this assessment for PIP or ESA?

On the Citizen Advice website it says: 
    "You can take someone with you into the actual assessment if they’re 16 or over. This could be anyone who makes you feel more comfortable, like a friend, relative or carer. If you want, they can take part in discussions and take notes for you."

I hope this helps, if you have further questions, do let us know.

• Johnsully7
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.how do they  expect people to represent themselves  in lookino up notes and flicking through correspondence and rhan say your ok. Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Advice agencies very rarely represent for a face to face assessment.

The questions they ask will be based on how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. The only person that will know that is the claimant. If the claimant has an appointee then they will be able to answer the questions on behalf of the claimant. If they don't have an appointee then they will have to answer all the questions theirself. You maybe able to prompt your sister but the HCP doesn't always allow this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Johnsully7
    Options
    Thankyou.that's really helpful. .
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Johnsully7, good luck for your sister's assessment today! Let us know how she gets on. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Johnsully7
    Options
    Hi
    Sister had her assessment Friday. Completely destroyed her.assesser asked questions that had no bearings on her everyday copying with things. Have you a bank account .do you drive.have you ever had thoughts of suicide when answered yes switched question to I the last 12 months so your alright now and because you haven't been sanction  and only have counciler get in doctors surgery that it doesn't really matter .no attention given to doctors note.2 specailist notes.and a note from Marie currie regarding her lympademand. Not a good experience will waitake and see how can a assesser disrespect a specailist? ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The questions they ask you during the assessment will depend on the reasons why you're claiming PIP. It's all part of the assessment process. For example, if a person claims they have cognitive issues yet they are able to drive a car then this could go against them.

Your sister should wait a week and then request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to her. This will give her some idea what the decision is likely to be because they usually go with the recommendations in the report.

She'll still need to wait for the decision but if she's not happy then she has 1 month from that date to request the Mandatory Reconsideration.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Johnsully7
    Options
    Thankyou.sister refused to give supporting documents doctors etc.as she said that dwp had copy in original application? Does accessor have access so to original application. To make a decision?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They should have access to the previous assessment report yes but i'm not sure about evidence. Having said that claimants should always treat all reviews as first claims by putting down as much information as possible on the form and sending in relevant evidence to support their claim.

All she can do is request a copy of the report then wait for the decision to be made. If it doesn't go in her favour and she's not awarded then her money will stop approximately 1 month after the decision is made. If the award goes in her favour then her money will continue.
  • Johnsully7
    Options
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @johnsully7 - if you search through this forum you'll see that the assessors often ask about about things that aren't covered by the application form; as far as I can work out they use this to 'corroborate' what you are saying.

For example: if you can drive you can most likely get in and out of a car, sit down, grip a steering wheel, and have the cognitive function to be able to control the car.

If you can bend down to put washing in a  washer, or feed your pet dog, then it's unlikely you can't bend down to put your socks on...
  • Johnsully7
    Options
  • twonker
    twonker Posts: 617 Pioneering
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Not forgetting the walking of a dog! I remember my second assessment when after 45 mins or so I was getting a little riled with the assessor as she was talking down to me and not looking at me when talking (deaf and lipread). She started to ask about hobbies and sport and what they were. I told her that I was still playing senior rugby each season. She actually wrote down that I actively played contact sports to a high level. Not bad for a 68 year old that has more health issues than I can remember!!
    Mind you it must have made the DWP laugh when reading it and trying to square it with the medication I take. It certainly made the Tribunal smile when they asked if it was true.
  • Johnsully7
    Options
    Thanks. Robots with no compassion.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.