Hello all. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello all.

prospero58
prospero58 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello my name is Marc. I have had psoriatic arthritis for eleven years. I tried various treatments for five years but it seems the standard methotrexate/leflunomide meds make me ill but did little to my condition. I was wrecked by them and now just try to cope with pain meds including fentanyl patches. My mobility is very poor and I can no longer hold a full cup of tea or cut up food for example. I am good at living with the pain but I do miss being active. I have a number of other conditions such as diabetes which I am told I manage very well. My latest problem is a feeling of vulnerability. I am coming up to 61 and I used to practice martial arts for over 45 years. Now I feel vulnerable. I have been having problems with a neighbour who has started throwing things into my garden. My wife had a mini stroke 4 years ago and frankly we dont need this childish nonsense. It wouldn't be so bad but my neighbour is my age! I am told this is a disability hate crime. ( there is more going on than just the rubbish his whole attitude is very belligerent) when I was more able bodied he was much more amenable. Well that's all for now and thank you for indulging me.

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @prospero58 and welcome to the community. 
    I'm sorry to hear about your neighbour's behaviour. I know it probably feels like it's cause a lot of fuss which might end up making things worse, but have you thought about reporting it?

What sort of martial arts did you practice?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • prospero58
    Hello Adrian. I practiced Judo from the age of thirteen gaining my first black belt at sixteen and Shotokan Karate at nineteen until I was in my early forties. I also went to study and fight in competion in Japan. I trained with the British Olympic team in the early 70s.  I fenced and used the Japanese Katana. It has been hard as my body deteriorated to accept that I can no longer do the things I have done my whole life but I have done so. I just didn't expect at my age to find myself up against the school bully. I have bern collecting photographic evidence and when I have enough I will formally charge him with a disability hate crime. I have spoken to a local police officer and as I was a journalist I can probably bring enough pressure to get him into trouble. I have heard so many stories of disabled people being abused that sonething needs to be done. I as I understand it the laws are in place the police are sonetimes reluctant to take action.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi again @prospero58.
    Glad to hear you're making a record of what's been going on. As you say, with the weight of evidence in your corner, you should hopefully be able to push them to do something about it.
    You sound like a very accomplished martial artist. You must've worked hard to obtain a black belt in three years!
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Connie00
    Connie00 Community member Posts: 252 Pioneering

My Name is Connie00   :)

I am one off the community Champion’s here at Scope.  it’s really nice to meet you.

A very warm welcome to the Community. I trust you are having a good day today

I myself suffer with Fibromyalgia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and FND, (functional neurological disorder)

So, I live most of my days in pain, I can relate to where you are coming from, sometimes it gets the better of me, and sometimes I’m not sure which one is playing up more, difficult to know, so I really have empathy for you.

I was myself on Methotrexate and I can tell you I’m now living with the consequences, I also like you feel very cheated about the fact that these conditions have robbed me of my mobility, we are very similar in age.

I am very sorry to hear about your Wife, I hope she is doing okay now, as for the bulling neighbour's behaviour, nobody should have to live like that, but you are doing the correct thing.

When you have a disabilities such as you have it can make you feel very intimidated . Have you tried speaking to the council,? does this person own or rent the property?,

All of this is such unreasonable behaviour

if we can be of any further help please let us know.

Have a good day

@connie00

• prospero58
    Hi again Adrian.. i learned judo at school and as it happened our sensei was the uncle of Brian Jacks the British judo Olympian. Mine was a school in a rather deprived area so the judo team became the focus for the school and we were given extra training and instruction by Brian himself. We knew that the school didnt have much going for it and we all pushed ourselves. Several of us gained our black belts at the same time which is why we were chosen to go to Japan.  I had the added impetus of growing ip with an abusive father who regularly beat my mother and I. Seems I have been combating bullies all my life.
    Connie my wife often says age doesn't come alone. When you develop debilitating diseases it seems to arrive in Legions..nice to meet you both pity about the circumstances.
  • okkkiam
    okkkiam Posts: 8 Listener
    Hello!
    You're welcome!
  • prospero58
    Thank you. Nice to meet you :)
  • Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @prospero58 and welcome to the Community.  It is nice to meet you and thank you for sharing with us.  I'm very sorry to hear of your problems with your neighbour as that is really unacceptable behaviour and I hope you get it all sorted out.  It sounds as though you are dealing with it well though.  I hope you enjoy your time on the Community and if there is anything at all we can help/support you with then please just let us know.  All the best.  :smile:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • prospero58

Brightness