PIP APPEAL HEARING EXPERIENCE - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP APPEAL HEARING EXPERIENCE

Comments

• male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    @poppy123456
    @david235
    Good morning folks.
    Well after a long debate through the night as both my wife and I couldn't sleep and meeting with the guy representing us, we've decided to carry on with the appeal. 
    We also mentioned to the guy that we didn't think he was up to par on our case and asked for the manager and received a new person to represent us. Immediately he completed forms giving him permission to obtain our medical history of trays and MRI taken on my spine and any consultant letters to accompany them. He advised us on this and that and we left feeling more achieved with him in that one hour than with the other guy in 12 months.
    Ty folks.

Best Wishes 
  • ricky1040
    ricky1040 Community member Posts: 121 Pioneering
    @male45 i am also from belfast and attended the tribunal and found it very daunting but in the end ok. if you have the medical evidence to back you up and go in and be honest you should be fine. have you requested a public access request with your gp and hospital. that would give you everything they hold on you and be with you within 30days.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    @male45 i'm glad you have a different rep. Good luck and do let us know the outcome.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • david235
    david235 Community member Posts: 170 Pioneering
    Sometimes starting over with someone different gives a much clearer idea of the way ahead.

I am glad you and your wife are continuing, @male45 . I know it is not easy, but at least this way you should get a fair hearing and find closure in the end. You needed support you felt confident about and it feels like you have now found that level of support from the manager.

I would discuss writing a latter about voluntary surrender of your driving licence along the lines I suggested with the advice provider when appropriate. That way, alongside the medical records they are obtaining for you, you've covered everything the Tribunal has requested.

Wishing you and your wife all the best.
  • male45
    edited September 2019
    ricky1040 said:
    @male45 i am also from belfast and attended the tribunal and found it very daunting but in the end ok. if you have the medical evidence to back you up and go in and be honest you should be fine. have you requested a public access request with your gp and hospital. that would give you everything they hold on you and be with you within 30days.
    Hi @ricky1040
    Wet old day here eh, 
    I find going into Belfast very stressful as you may have read my previous posts ref citybus driver troubles etc. So an appeal added in the feelings are sky high stress.
    I got 17 pages printed both sides dating back 5 yes from my gp. That's what the other rep asked me to get apart from some letters of appointments that's about all I had 
    I've never been for an appeal before so replied on my other rep to advise me.
    I dont know what a public access request is so nope haven't, could you tell me more plz?
    Ricky can you say what type of questions they possibly pose at you, o know they can ask anything and everything  also how long you were waiting to be seen then how long your appeal lasted?
    Were you successful?
    Thank you. Great talking to ya
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    david235 said:
    Sometimes starting over with someone different gives a much clearer idea of the way ahead.

I am glad you and your wife are continuing, @male45 . I know it is not easy, but at least this way you should get a fair hearing and find closure in the end. You needed support you felt confident about and it feels like you have now found that level of support from the manager.

I would discuss writing a latter about voluntary surrender of your driving licence along the lines I suggested with the advice provider when appropriate. That way, alongside the medical records they are obtaining for you, you've covered everything the Tribunal has requested.

Wishing you and your wife all the best.
    Hil i@david235 
    Yes I mentioned the driving licence to him and he suggested same advice as yourself so thank you for that and all help and advice given.
    My head feels a little more clearer now I've had a bite to eat. He did say that by time we do get another appeal date it won't be the same three panel members as 6 panels sit in belfast on pip and two panels for ESA.
    The whole process is extremely stressful and on top of it all I'm up for reassessment next July as my letter with the points from last july recommended. 
    He said he would ask the panel if next July could be extended. 
    I know he can't promise that and it can't be certain that three different members see us but it gives us hope.
    Best wishes 
    Best Wishes 
  • ricky1040
    Hey @male45 i worked for translink also for 10 years. 

Um don't quote me on this but i think i qaited about 6-7 months maybe for my appeal. 

You can ask them to re look at it all or some of your application and score it. 

They ask you questions re the criteria and also anything else they find important along the way. For instance i am partially sighted and they noticed i was wearing a watch and asked how i managed to read it. I have a smart one set up with accessible features and was abke to show them this. Have to say tho i found them very accomadating and kind hearted but not to say thats always the case or means they are on a particular side. A man from dwpensions was also present and basically when asked for his input had no comment other than to say he thought my case was genuine.

I had a bucket load of gp documents also and i think that helped a lot as i have had lots of scans mri and the like done. 

One thing i was told to bear in mind is to tell them how you feel the majority of the time and not some days this way some days thay way... the decision is based on the majority of how you feel. 

I was successful but have to do it all again in four years. Eeeek..

Good luck and i hope you get a fair outcome.

• male45
    ricky1040 said:
    Hey @male45 i worked for translink also for 10 years. 

Um don't quote me on this but i think i qaited about 6-7 months maybe for my appeal. 

You can ask them to re look at it all or some of your application and score it. 

They ask you questions re the criteria and also anything else they find important along the way. For instance i am partially sighted and they noticed i was wearing a watch and asked how i managed to read it. I have a smart one set up with accessible features and was abke to show them this. Have to say tho i found them very accomadating and kind hearted but not to say thats always the case or means they are on a particular side. A man from dwpensions was also present and basically when asked for his input had no comment other than to say he thought my case was genuine.

I had a bucket load of gp documents also and i think that helped a lot as i have had lots of scans mri and the like done. 

One thing i was told to bear in mind is to tell them how you feel the majority of the time and not some days this way some days thay way... the decision is based on the majority of how you feel. 

I was successful but have to do it all again in four years. Eeeek..

Good luck and i hope you get a fair outcome.

Hi @ricky1040
    Great to meet a fellow colleague.
    Most of the guys I worked with are sadly no longer with us passing with one thing or another we were a right knit group but now I think there's only four of us left two immigrated and the third I've no clue where he is. My brother in law medically retired from citybus after me. He's lost his sight fully. He had a pip assessment in town and one of the questions he was asked was can you drive lol, my sister who's a nurse went through the assessor that day.
    He got full enhancement on both needles to say.
    I have to say Ricky, I'd rather drive through a riot than sit for this appeal I'm finding it very stressful.
    I unlike you dont have a bucket load of medical notes. I only got two mris on my back and two x Ray's. The mris were just to confirm what the x Ray's showed. The rest of the notes contain my medicines and trying to bring my high blood pressure down and other stuff. All together 17 pages printed on both sides. I find going to my go very stressful that's if I ever get an appointment  passed mini Hitler receptionists. 
    The drs surgery is right on the spot where I was last hijacked and burned out. I even have a photo of it.
    Theres a website that contains a list of all buses burnt out for certain years. Classesbuses.co.uk the pages for citybus are bright red. My bus is listed as 776 on left hand side of the page.
    I've heard some panels can be nice and others not so.
    To me if any one is nice to me I stop trusting them and try thinking am I getting it in the back.
    I dont wear a watch, I threw mine away the day after leaving the buses, maybe you'll understand why lol.
    I'm glad you got your pip well done.
    The other rep I used to have said I didn't have a lot going medically wise in paper form evidence. Now reading about yours I know what he means.
    My new rep completed forms I signed and they've been posted off to various hospitals where I had my x rays and mris. Again probably one or two sheets will come back from them.
    I think then itll be up to me to talk at the appeal and try painting them a good picture of how my disability affects me daily. Like you said the majority of the time.
    Well Ricky I hope you are able to settle back and enjoy life a bit more now your appeal is over.
    Would you be getting seen for cataract removals or does that not come into it  my brother in law may be.
    Best wishes Ricky and thank you for replying to me. Keep in touch I'm always around if you fancy chatting

Best Wishes 
  • ricky1040
    @male45 sounds like you have been through the ringer. Lol i do know what u mean about the watch lol. I worked in the ticket office in europa and head office at milewater for a while too. 

Yea was a weight off mynshoulders to get it all finalised and wish you the best of luck also.
  • male45
    @ricky1040
    Hi ricky , I've probably passed you in the Europa at some point. Heard mile water hq has moved.
    How long were you in interrogation , I've heard some are only a matter of 15 minutes where others can be half hour and an hour which was the case of whoever was in before me last week.
    I found the building intimidating and when I went into the reception area two guys were sitting just inside the doors chatting, later was told they were dwp waiting to go into their cases, one was fir mine. 
    I assume they watched me as I made my way to the seating area.
    I dont know how long itll take for another date for me I just hope its after I get any image scans and not before.
    www.classicbuses.co.uk I think I misspelled it orevious

Best Wishes 
  • male45
    Hi folks I've not been on fir awhile as I've been feeling down a lot. I sent away for copies of my hospital scans and letters or reports from OT and Physiotherapy departments. I'm still waiting for any of them to post back. I'll update youz whenever I get post from them in whatever format it takes. 
    Bye for now 
    Best Wishes 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear you have been feeling down @male45. Thank you for taking the time to update us and please do let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.
    Scope

• male45
    @Chloe_Scope
    Thank you for your kind words and support. 
    I'm just sitting waiting to see what scans if any I get back and  if they're good enough to continue with the appeal same goes for letters from OT and Physiotherapy departments.  I've got this feeling they wont be. Meanwhile I can see others who've been awarded top rates out enjoying life.
    Will update whenever I know anything more. Thanking you
    Best Wishes 
  • male45
    @Chloe_Scope
    Can i ask you a question please chloe?
    It's been a year waiting on my appeal after various delays etc...but when I first told dwp I was appealing I I received a letter from them that they had also sent to the appeal place and my rep that if the appeal saw fit for me to lose then they wanted any supplementary payments returned to them in full.
    I happened to mention to my old rep (I've a new one) about that letter which was attached to the assessors report from dwp . That rep said it's part of a scare tactic from dwp to make you think oh no I'll not go ahead with an appeal.
    Can I ask was he correct?
    If not then it's been since july last year taking this appeal forward with 67.49p a month supplementary given to me until appeal is heard...he said this does not have to be paid back.
    I'm wondering what is right and wrong . 
    Best wishes.
    Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    Supplementary payments aren't paid here in the UK so i'm assuming you live in N.Ireland?

These payments are only paid for 1 year or until March 2020 which ever comes first. They do not have to be re-paid back.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • male45
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy 
    Yes I'm a Norn Iron guy :)
    Thank you for giving me a breath of fresh air that the supplementary payments doesn't have to be paid back. :)
    If you dont mind heres a question I meant to add onto my last one so apologies for this...
    He also said that at the next appeal date we will get a different panel. There are 6 panels for pip and two for ESA he said here in Belfast.. would getting a different panel be right for the next date. I think its pot luck unless hes right.
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. If you've waited 13 months for your appeal hearing then i've very surprised that you're still receiving the supplementary payments because they are only paid for 1 year.

You may get a different panel but i don't think it's guaranteed.
  • male45
    @poppy123456
    Hi poppy.
    It was my rep who said I'll still receive it when my appeal was postponed recently. Maybe they continue paying even after 12 months but from then it has to be repaid. 
    I only hope it's a different panel because I heard that one legal person is giving most reps a hard time, according to that rep. Time will tell.
    Thank you for replying.
    Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @male45, sorry that I was unable to reply yesterday. I hope Poppy has been able to help you with this. :)
    Scope

• male45
    @Chloe_Scope
    Hi chloe
    Its grand thank you yes poppy helped with it. I'm glad I found this site. :smile:
    Best Wishes 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.