Rights — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rights

Options
Moz
Moz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2019 in PIP, DLA, and AA

So it's clear that lots of people, with lots of different issues have had the wrong decision and then money reduced or stopped altogether. This is well known amongst all law firms charities and citizens advice, who deal with these cases and subsequent problems it causes. People have been in real need for help, advice and legal advice. Not long ago the issue came up on the Victoria Derbyshire programme on the BBC. People had wrote in and said they believed that these decisions were Deliberately made and asked for help on how to record it as evidence, the BBC show claimed that all you can do is bye a two-way tape recorder, the same as the police have and then record it, as its usual done in a private building. Whilst this Is the truth, it's NOT the whole truth. The law on this clearly states, if you believe that there is anti social or criminal activity happening, then by law your allowed to video record covertly and that evidence is allowed to be used in any case against them. This CRUCIAL information was kept from the public, which as you know is vulnerable people. What they do at that assessment is wrong, and we All know it. This is one of the ways they have gotten away with it. We'll know you know the law on this, video record them when your there secretly, and I advise everyone to do this as its your right. It cannot be allowed to continue. It makes me mad. My obsession is law politics and rights and this stuff they do drives me MAD!  Well enough is enough. So here I am and there you go, I really hope it helps.

13 minutes ago

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Moz and thank you for sharing this with us. How are you doing today?
    Scope

• Joanne_Alumni
    Joanne_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 188 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @moz,

welcome to the community!

I think you are right that recording your assessment is not illegal, but you do need to be careful!

You may be asked to sign a recording agreement, and if you refuse to sign it then they are likely to cancel the assessment.

If you do sign, then you are restricted as to what you can do with the recording.

If you do record the assessment covertly and the Assessor notices then they will still ask you to sign the agreement. If you refuse then again they can terminate the assessment.

Having been to many assessments with people, in my experience the best way to things is to record openly so the assessor is aware they are on record. That way you are more likely to get the right outcome in the first place.
    Joanne 
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    they sound like the KGB!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.