when is somebody in power going to listen? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

when is somebody in power going to listen?

pollyanna1052
pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
I`ve just watched the BBC Inside Out programme about all the people who are being abused by the PIP system.
Abuse is a strong word...but fits this appalling situation perfectly!

I am waiting for the result of my f2f, which was at my home on 3rd October. I am almost totally dependent on my hubby and carers, to cook my meals, get me in and out of bed, toilet, shower, dress me and take me out.

Everyone tells me I should get the same level of PIP as I got for 19 years on D:LA. But both my hubby and myself are far from confident that this will be the case.

My assessor was a pleasant woman, but I have absolutely no idea how it will turn out. If I am downgraded I will definitely fight for what I feel I am entitled to.

When, oh when is the government going to wake up to the fact that the current PIP application system is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE...as was said by a SCOPE advisor on the tv programme.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @pollyanna1052, hello and welcome, have you requested a copy of the assessment report? When you received it you can workout what you're award may should be but you still have to wait for the official award confirmation letter. 
  • Nevergiveup
    Nevergiveup Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    I had my pip home assessment today, I was transferring from DLA  like many others out there I feel the current system is letting claimants down as the evidence is all clear to see I have a form of dwarfism so it made a very interesting visit, I didn't sleep well last night due to my aches and pains of living with my condition and the anxiety of facing today. It's been a horrible few months without a doubt having PIP hanging over me. I had so much evidence which I personally thought I'd avoid a F2F

I decided to keep an open mind and I couldn't have been more wrong. The lady was a nurse and she was lovely, she obviously had an agenda to follow which I understand. All she was looking at were those things I had written in my PIP2 form were medically reasonable and consistent with what I was saying to her. Are they trying to trip you up?? Now that is open to debate. She mentioned other claimants appeared hostile and you could sense it the minute they walk through your door. But like she said to me if you have nothing to hide there is no need for that, and it does make them suspicious to start which is never a good thing. Anyway, she agreed with me and thoroughly went through everything to make sure that I got the maximum award possible on both daily living and mobility. She left assuring me that I would be fine and not to worry. I guess it really is down to having an assessor that believes you.

• pollyanna1052
    No, I thought about it and decided not to, as it is not a result.
    Someone else here recently, wrote that she had got her`s and it looked good. She still asked if that meant a good award. No-one could give her that reassurance. She said she kind of wished she hadnt bothered.

I dont need that sort of is it/isnt it good?

I`ve been feeling more anxious than words can say. I`m feeling angry today.
    Is anybody going to hear us? Not here of course, as here is a wonderful place of support and care. I mean someone who could actually do something about this total farce!
  • pollyanna1052
    I had my pip home assessment today, I was transferring from DLA  like many others out there I feel the current system is letting claimants down as the evidence is all clear to see I have a form of dwarfism so it made a very interesting visit, I didn't sleep well last night due to my aches and pains of living with my condition and the anxiety of facing today. It's been a horrible few months without a doubt having PIP hanging over me. I had so much evidence which I personally thought I'd avoid a F2F

I decided to keep an open mind and I couldn't have been more wrong. The lady was a nurse and she was lovely, she obviously had an agenda to follow which I understand. All she was looking at were those things I had written in my PIP2 form were medically reasonable and consistent with what I was saying to her. Are they trying to trip you up?? Now that is open to debate. She mentioned other claimants appeared hostile and you could sense it the minute they walk through your door. But like she said to me if you have nothing to hide there is no need for that, and it does make them suspicious to start which is never a good thing. Anyway, she agreed with me and thoroughly went through everything to make sure that I got the maximum award possible on both daily living and mobility. She left assuring me that I would be fine and not to worry. I guess it really is down to having an assessor that believes you.

Hi, your`s was a good experience. But sadly, I have read here about others who have said the same. But then they have not  received they expected. Some gremlins get into the reports and mix them up somehow! I truly hope you get a good result chick!xxx
  • Nevergiveup
    Yes, it seems a common theme, assessors appearing nice to you, I hate the system and what it's done to so many disabled people, we shouldn't have to fight to get what we are entitled to and having to prove over and over again that we do have health problems, It's mentally draining, I hope everything turns out well for you.
  • pollyanna1052
    Thank you. xxx
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    I think the whole system is a cost-cutting exercise. They hope people will give up or give in at each stage - they are trying to win through attrition. x% of people will give up at the MR stage, and y% will give up at the tribunal stage, so they have saved a bit of money.

Thats just what I think - not saying it is definitely their agenda (though I have my suspicions).

Luckily the chance of winning at tribunal is not low. I think they know this and they just hope people will give up before it gets to that stage.

All we can do is keep playing along with the system and not give up. 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @pollyanna1052, thanks for sharing. 
    If anyone else wants to watch the Inside Out episode, you can view it here.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • pollyanna1052
    zakblood said:

when is somebody in power going to listen?

never, unless the 13.9 million disabled people in the UK make their own party, now that may change a few things!
    yeh but would we be strong enough to fight. we cant do with demonstrations..get cold...toileting issues etc.
  • Swordfish
    Swordfish Community member Posts: 54 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    George Galloway might turn a few heads, he made the American look stupid 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    Well I feel sorry for those switching from DLA to PIP who are either be downgraded or are losing their money altogether. 

I've been downgraded but not because I switched from DLA, this was a review where the only thing that had changed since my first assessment in 2013 is that I've been diagnosed with FM, but the recent assessor has decided that I no longer have mental health problems, and after 6 months of messing around, not keeping me updated, bothering my GP for information, the case manager decided to go along with the assessor anyway by the looks of it! To say I'm disgusted is a understatement, it's not about the money, it's about pretty much being called a liar when they had evidence in front of their eyes and even bothered my GP for info... This has had a huge impact on my health to be honest.

In regards to ESA I was deemed fit for work twice, appealed both times and one both times.. 
  • Nevergiveup
    They all consider us guilty even before we start, there are many of us who could be assessed with a paper-based review, but they seem to want to drag us through hell. My only saving grace is my disabilities can be seen a mile off. You can't really hide dwarfism.  I feel so sorry for individuals who have hidden disabilities, no one should be treated this way.  
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • 66Mustang
    My decision letter said something similar, justdon. It said I did not appear anxious, tense or psychologically distressed. Basically, “you don’t look unwell”. I thought this sounded a bit like something that you’d say in the ‘70s, not 2019.

To be fair, I likely didn’t look that unwell as I was making a huge effort to remain dignified and composed for the appointment, however I find it odd that they can judge hidden disabilities going by looks.
  • [Deleted User]
  • 66Mustang
    I agree - you wouldn’t have a psychologist assess a (mentally well) wheelchair-bound person’s physical health so why do they do it the other way around?

I have read that for ESA you can request a mental health professional conducts your assessment, it would be good if something similar was offered for PIP.
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.