when is somebody in power going to listen? - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

when is somebody in power going to listen?

Comments

• pollyanna1052
    pollyanna1052 Community member Posts: 2,032 Disability Gamechanger
    Just checked it and realised I had typed a 3 at then end instead of a 2. Sorry about that x
  • Nevergiveup
    Nevergiveup Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    All signed, it's time to bring them down and put a stop to this madness. How many of you out there had a different experience for ESA? I managed to get into the support group without any paperwork to back me up, but left names and addresses for them to contact. I just don't understand why they are being so heavy-handed with regards to PIP. I felt that the ESA questionnaire held more useful information towards my life than what they were asking for with PIP.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Good to hear that about ESA as I have an assessment coming up. I’m worried about being kicked out of the support group.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pollyanna1052   Thank you for your post.

As a person who has experienced many ups and downs. Many experiences some good, some bad some troubling some horrific.

Have attended all benefit reviews, benefit assessments been mistreated, discriminated, abused.

Much more around the issues of just wanting some money to live on and be able to support myself.

All I ever wanted is some one to say we believe you having to prove myself constantly.

Over a lifetime.  Is not only mentally exhausting but left me with scars and deep mistrust of a system that was designed to not be fit for purpose.

What ever the benefit is called or how they administer it never to be ever suitable for the community and those with other disabilities or conditions.

I was asked a long time ago. As I do get involved in debates and conversations around benefits.

Used to attend NHS mental health advisory groups.  Through a charity.

Gave up on that because guess what no one was listening. Even though a number of us had given sensible, practical ideas. Plus suggestions.

The sense was well lets  ignore what has been said.

What a waste.

Same here.  I was asked how would you change any thing.

First the assessment procedure has to be fit for purpose. Not medical professionals such as Ambulance drivers or Nurses or those in other medical occupations.

In the early Eighties was Doctors assigned by the DSS as it was then so why not now. Use medical professionals also for those with conditions or disabilities whom can relate to and understand.

Any attendance at any assessment . Always some on there who is an advocate, welfare assistance or an advisor.

To speak on their behalf.  Video recording, voice recording.  Allowed to keep any of that .

Reports typed up and verified by claimant and any other witness.  Any mistakes or corrections done. Signed a true record.

A copy to claimant and copy to DWP.  Signed by assessor..

I would like to point out needs to be also a separate evaluation and review of those who know are not going to get better.

Those of an age who are ageing and it is evident that getting older is not helping their illness or condition or disability.

I am middle Fifties still expected to attend assessments. Sorry but why as I am aging not getting better and is there a point to continue doing this after all I know it is causing me more harm mentally.

Lost my lifeline a year ago lost my car so why has that happened.  Which person decided in their wisdom to stop those like myself not be able to drive.

I use taxis but if the claimant has no means of support and it is pointed out with that in any assessment then you should be able to keep the car.

Be a separate scheme contract hire as long you are fit to drive and have the finance benefits to pay.  No age limit.  

There are more like your good self who needs to be told no more assessments.

I do not see why you need to be assessed you have worked hard and now it is time for this Government to stop this.

Who is benefitting.?  It is a cost saving exercise making you go through hoops in reality you need to live.

Thank you for reading.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 231 Pioneering
    edited October 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    @justdon said ..."The beurorocy is horrendous too..i can write well ..but i massively struggle with forms and some levels of comprehension"

@justdon - I agree with you on this.

I'm fortunate because I'm good at form-filling (sad I know) but a lot of people aren't and, unfortunately, this means that they are let down by the system.

The most important thing is to find out what PIP is about, and what to put in your application, before putting pen to paper. It's clear when you look through the posts on here that quite a lot of posters don't do that - so they focus on the wrong things. They may well be worthy claimants but they won't get anywhere - which is very wrong and leaves me feeling very sad...

PS justdon - just to clarify that I agree with you and the rest of my post is talking generally...
  • [Deleted User]
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2019
    I agree they need more qualified personnel to work as assessors, and they need people with the correct qualifications to be matched with relevant claimants (mental health professionals with mental health patients, etc).

I too am good at filling in forms (I act as “accountant” for my parents filling in tax returns, pension forms, forms to trade on foreign stock markets etc.). I filled in my PIP claim meticulously and went over it probably 50 times. I read countless sources to know info such as what the descriptors were, and exactly what information they wanted and what they weren’t interested in.

Yet there are people, even on this forum, who effectively say that if we have issues with the system it’s our fault, and that we haven’t filled in the forms properly.

I struggle to see how getting a health assessor who puts inaccuracies, in some cases even lies, on their assessment can be our fault, and how this has any relevance to how we filled in the forms?

• paffuto10
    paffuto10 Community member Posts: 388 Pioneering
    @66Mustang

Totally agree with you.

Imagine going to bed every night knowing you've caused an ill/ disabled person to lose their car? 

Or giving zero points for PIP to someone who's been on DLA for years? 

And imagine telling your family and friends what your job is? 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @justdon   Thank you for kind words and comments..

I wanted to just add. I did not know this till recently. Another aspect of benefits know one tells you anything.

CAB have apparently designated staff members who do the forms for you.

What I would suggest something I did learn to do as those days of not having any support.

Write the answers the draft ones on a piece of paper. Make it clear and precise. Then if you can do so ring up CAB and they will fill in it for you with you at your side.

When you make an appointment. I had two ladies who wrote in the forms for me. I asked do you do this all the time. We are volunteers only do forms.

With the three of us we came up with a series of constructive answers and hoped that is helpful to you.

Also I am sorry if you have experienced a lot of stress and anxiety and other problems.

Please can I also add if you have a medical illness or a disability or have a mental health issues for example. You could always apply to any of the organisations connected with your situation.

Many have welfare advisors, support workers or floating support to help, advise and offer guidance.

Plus get anything else to help you with your issues or problems.

Please ask me if you wish to. As a Community Champion have a list of organisations, societies, associations to most disabilities, illness or conditions.

Happy to help anytime.

I believe as with any company employing medical professionals in my humble opinion always going to be incentives.

Always speculation as there will be about the running of these companies.

I know always going to be rumours, stories and much more about assessors. After all there often put on this forum. Heart breaking, insensitive and no compassion.

From members of a profession.  That claim to work for a company. That has caused detrimental damage to so many members of our community.

Understand this they not exactly helping the situation. In many cases my own experiences.

Have inflamed the assessments, often using language which I would call not fitting for a medical professional.

Astounding, shocking, stunning and I could fill a exercise book with my stories, yet I do know. Need to focus on the positives think how I can be sending a message to those.

Who are in Government in power look at what we can do if we need to.

Is that voting at the next general election, issuing Emails to any MP's.  Stating our case our problems with the systems.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • thespiceman
    Hello @justdon   Thank you for reply. Sorry to hear this. I am aware many organisations especially those with mental health issues have a system. 

That means once they feel you can cope with your issues or problems do let you go.

I had this many times often either by text or Email . Not good to be in a situation it also may I add about budgets and finances.

Please can I just say have put on the forum a series of posts on Psychological Coping methods and Strategies if that ever helps you.

Under the title of Psychological Coping methods part one two and three. 

You would need to scroll down on recent discussions and find them just something to help those with .

Anxiety or mental health problems.

Please if I can advise with anything else please contact me.  Happy to help.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
  • Roddy
    Roddy Community member Posts: 445 Pioneering
    justdon said:
    @Roddy absaloutley brilliant post !
    The sad thing, is that it's totally true... I'm 100% certain that these so-called 'assessors' have made up their minds before they've even interviewed you. My own assessment was an hour's worth of incompetence & rudeness from beginning to end. I was told to: "hurry up, keep walking, we haven't got all day" and it consisted of some 'Nurse' refuting any evidence presented to her whilst she tapped-away on her keyboard... "Lift yer legs-up, that's it, come on..." and "why haven't you worked for these past 12 years?" The ONLY resulting effect, was to leave me without any entitlement at all (having previously been awarded PIP & ESA with Enhanced Rate indefinitely) my loss of a Mobility Car, an order to report for work, massive debt and being reliant upon Food Banks and a life of total solitude and hand-outs from Charities. The appeal was hopeless as so too was the tribunal, and my own experience is by no means uncommon.  PIP has become a lottery rather than a benefit to enable one to live with some degree of self-respect... My Son of 29 years and been on DWP benefits since aged 2 due his serious communication & development disorder, has also had HIS PIP placed on hold whilst some poxy 'NURSE' decides HIS fate. My only friend in Suffolk, herself with MS and totally reliant on fulltime Carer's is also currently waiting for HER PIP to be reinstalled which she's now been without for close to 7 months... and they call this progress? You'd get better treatment at the PDSA. It's simply not good enough and whoever is responsible for this chaos should hang their head in shame... I'd like to see THEM going without for a DAY let alone for a lifetime.      
  • Roddy
    edited October 2019
    DWP = Decisions Without Proficiency
    PIP = Professional Incompetence. Period.
    ESA
    = Exist Suffering Alone
    UC = Unethical Conduct

What beneficial  Benefit  will they introduce next? 
    DII
    ? Disability Is Idleness? 
    YPIO 
    Your Putting It On?

The world is their oyster... Perhaps they should have a referendum eh? You know, put it to the proper people: The able-bodied 'we're-all-right-mob' and those that don't know 'jack' about what it's like to be treated with total disregard or respect, of do they think that all disability is a matter of personal choice? There is more intelligence in one of my walking sticks than the entire workforce at the Department of Works and Pensions.  

• [Deleted User]
  • Roddy
    edited October 2019
    @justdon, Thank you. I WILL get over it as it's a case of just having to and as it is with like 1000s of others including yourself. 

Even if or when this Brexit nonsense is over or another 'new power' gets in, nothing much will alter as the damage has already been done and to restructure the DWP will be the last thing on their minds.

It is always the same. Some idiot decides to implement a new rule, lasts in power for 5 years and then disappears from the scene and leaving their mess & disarray behind them. May, Rudd, Duncan Smith, the list is almost endless. I mean, Ted Heath sold us down the river to Europe, and look where HE got us, eh! 

When people are given a 'badge of honour' it goes to their heads and they think they can rule the world with an iron fist. From car-park attendants to a DWP Assessment Officer, their dumb-ass attitudes and their careless ethos always has a detrimental effect and they care more about the title they hold than anything else. 

It is quick & easy to make a lot of mess, but it is costly and time consuming to clean the mess up, and who in Power wants to spend any money or waste their own valuable time? Most of the able-bodied & healthy humanoids in government held positions, cannot even boil an egg, and so what chances do we have? 

[Removed by moderator] I also consider that it is cruel to make animals work, but that is what the chimps at DWP World of Adventures, do every single day. It will be National Service next for us lot. [Removed by moderator]
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.