Prinzmetal variant angina caused by breathing in cold air. More than 28 days abroad? - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Prinzmetal variant angina caused by breathing in cold air. More than 28 days abroad?

Comments

• clasship
    clasship Community member Posts: 76 Connected
    Poppy, I live in a local council sheltered housing with a part time warden who looks after sever sites within the local council. So there is no full time live in warden which is perhaps what the DWP have assumed.

Since returning back to the uK on 16.7.2017 I was getting just ESA supported and housing benefit, and as of this last Tuesday 10.12.2019 I've been awarded enhanced Daily living and enhanced Mobility. If I understand correctly the DL is not being back dated with the reason given "As you're in sheltered / supported housing we can't pay you the Daily Living part from 17.7.2019" This I am taking as the DL won't be back dated and this tallies with the payment made into my bank account. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    If you disagree with the decision then you need to request the MR and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to do this.

I know you said it's not being backdated but you still haven't answered my question, are they going to be paying you the daily living award in future payments or have then stopped this as well because of living in support housing?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • clasship
    Poppy, I am in Asia on my 28 day holiday, I only have the information the warden sent me so I have given you what I know. There obviously are other pages I was not sent. I have been awarded both components and the DWP write confirming I will receive both Daily Living and Mobility and the state in writing the enhanced rates being £87.65 Daily living, £61.20 Mobility and £128.48 ESA. They also confirm my Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support remain the same as it always was. I can only assume they are not backdating the DL component for the reason they gave which is:

"As you're in sheltered / supported housing we can't pay you the Daily Living part from 17.7.2019" 

I can only think they think I am receiving care from a full time warden, which I am not, The warden works at several different council sheltered housing locations. I hope that helps.
  • poppy123456
     I would advise you to fully expect them not to be paying you any of the daily living award at all, including future payments because it wouldn't make sense for them not to back date it and then you receive the payments going forward. Take note of the wording we can't pay you the Daily Living part from 17.7.2019" Regardless of the award, they are saying there's no payment because of where you live.

When you arrive home you'll be able to look at the letter to see exactly what it says and then request the MR within 1 month of the date of the decision.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • clasship
    They wrote in the paragraph above the we can't pay you.......:
    "I can award you the enhanced rate of £87.65 to help you with your daily living needs from 16. July 2019 to 10th November 2020" 

The warden is also confused as she has not come across this before either. 
  • poppy123456
    Yes, they have awarded you but take note of the "we can't pay you" this means that they have decided you can't be paid the daily living part at all. You will receive the mobility part payment only.
  • clasship
    So claimants who live in sheltered housing don't actually receive Daily Living? That's news to me and the warden where i live. If this is so, clearly I should move out of sheltered accommodation as I receive no physical or financial help whatsoever living where iIdo. 
  • poppy123456
    Have you read the link i posted in a previous comment above? If you haven't then please do and it will give you all the advice you need. Then once you return home you'll be able to request the MR decision. If it's outside of the 1 month deadline then you'll need good reason why you didn't request it within the first month.
  • clasship
    Thank you, I have read the link, but having a stroke means I don't always fully understand. I think as I  live in the council sheltered accommodation, which provides a part time warden, and alarm cords in every room but nothing else. The warden informs me others receive Daily Living so hopefully I should win a MR which I will submit as soon as I return from holiday. I am surprised at this DWP decision as I made it clear at the assessment which was recorded, I pay a private person to do my shopping, clean certain areas and do things i can't like cut my toenails. On the above info should I feel confident I should receive the DL after a MR? 
  • poppy123456
    You won't be the only person this has happened to. When you return home a simple phone call to DWP to point out that it's sheltered accommodation and not a nursing/care home and you pay for all your services maybe enough. Hopefully an MR won't be needed.
  • clasship
    Poppy, Thank you for your endless help and advice, sorry to press you on this point but I am so worried now. In your opinion and your knowledge, is it likely that I will receive the Daily Living component backdated or not once I make it clear in a phone call or otherwise, that I live in sheltered housing and not a care home and have always paid a private individual from my own ESA funds for any physical help such as cleaning and shopping? 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Based on what you've said there's no reason why you shouldn't receive all the money you're owed and receive the daily living amount going forward. Until it's resolved though, you will only receive the mobility payment.
  • clasship
    Poppy, thank you, I'll work on this as soon as I return to the UK on 29th December. 
  • cristobal
    cristobal Community member Posts: 984 Disability Gamechanger
    @clasship @poppy123456 I think that I read somewhere that it depends on who's funding the accommodation i.e. whether you are paying or the council...

Annoyingly I can't find the article I read but I'll post a link if I come across it again...
  • clasship
    I receive 100% housing benefit which pays directly the local council Tandridge District council. Whilst I don't know if this is the case for other in the same Sheltered Housing, the warden informs me others do receive Daily Living. From this info can I sleep more easily and expect I will receive the DL funds? 
  • poppy123456
    I know you're worried but i have answered your question to the best of my ability based on what you've said. I'm not DWP and no one can tell you for certain that you will receive it and all you can do is contact them.
  • clasship
    Poppy thank you. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @clasship   Pleased to meet you.

Please if I can advise some organisations and help for you. I am one of the team of community champions. My friend @poppy123456 member of our team.

Understand you having problems with support with your illness and thought might be worth contacting any of these organisations.

I know you mentioned paying out of your ESA just a concern and care .

https://www.dailystrength.org./anginasupport

Angina and your condition a lot of support information relevant.

https:///www.stroke.org.uk.

Helpline 0303 3033 100

https://www.carenearme.co.uk.

Type in your postcode local services to help you.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk.

Helpline 0800 678 1602

Useful services, information  including befriending.  Some of these organisations have benefit advisors. 

Please I hope that helps you.

Please take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • clasship
    thespiceman, Thank you, I'll use these contacts. If I understand correctly this might come down to who pays my rent, I receive 100% housing benefit which pays my local council who are my landlords. It's been tough starting again from nothing and living back in the UK on ESA and housing benefit only to be kicked in the b@lls DWP style. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2019
    Hello @clasship   Please can I apologise first link typed it up wrong.

Daily Strength has various illness and conditions it supports.

Must need to scroll down, senior moment this morning.  Sometimes my memory and typing do not go together in unison.

https://www.dailystrength.org/group/angina/discussion/prinzmetal-angina

Other links  is the DWP website.

https://www.gov.uk

https://turn2us.org.uk.

Benefit advice and guidance plus anything else you could and might need.

Please if I can help with anything glad to do so.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.