Hi, my name is janjan67! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is janjan67!

janjan67
janjan67 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi everyone my daughter had her pip assessment Tuesday and the assessor made out she was our friend and wanted to help us get the points we deserved But we felt she was pushing all the time for my daughter to say she could do this and that. Daughter has Fibromialgia,PoTs,Heds/Hsd,chronicfatigue,hearing loss and Mcas among other issues. Assessor asked if she could cook a meal daughter said can't because joints subilcating pain and fatigue,then asked but surely you can make bowl cereal,what if mum had flu? Daughter said yes she could. But to be fair she is in bed 15 hrs plus a day suffers so much with pain fatigue that everything is an effort for her,so yes nearly all the time her food wether cooked or not is prepared for her. She doesn't have good days anymore as her conditions have gotten worse only bad and worst days. She is 23 yrs old and don't they think of she was able would love to do things her peers do working going out etc. Breaks my heart and I fear she will be took off pip even though she been on it 4yrs.

Comments

• janjan67
    janjan67 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    Can I just ask a question,We sent in a copy of her repeat prescription but assessor said they did not have it. Also on the screen she said dates of conditions diagnosed was different to what we were saying,so she turned computer round show us,we explained that was date condition started not diagnosed. It was only after assessment we realised that was her form from 4yrs ago! Why would they be referring to that? She made us feel like liars.Not happy too that they have lost repeat prescription as it has tramadol on it and when we listed meds she was like but it isn't on the form,duhh well it won't be in the form from 4yrs ago!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Part of the PIP assessment is to verify what was written on the form as well as any other additional information needed. They need to get the full picture of how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors and they do this by asking different questions.

During a PIP review they are supposed to look back at the previous PIP form and PIP assessment report, as well as all the evidence that was sent the last time and also the form that was filled in this time, along with the evidence that was sent.  So what the HCP did here was exactly correct.

Scoring maximum points for an activity because you can't do it at all isn't that simple. When assessing a claimant, the HCP should consider all the evidence of the case and the likely ability of the claimant over a year-long period, before selecting the most appropriate descriptor to the claimant relating to each of the assessment activities, taking into account their level of ability, whether they need to use aids or appliances and whether they need help from another person or an assistance dog.

All your daughter can do is wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to her. Once she receives this she should look for the dots in the report and compare them against the PIP self test online to see what points may have been recommended. They usually go with the report, it's very rare to go against it. She'll still need to wait for a decision to be made and once it has, if she's not happy then she'll have 1 month from that date to request the MR.

Her current PIP award will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP, providing the award hasn't ended by that time.

Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janjan67 - I'd just like to say as someone who also has hEDS like your daughter that I know how very difficult this is to live with.
    The assessor does have to question everything, & I was asked in a similar fashion when I had a PIP assessment. It's also not about the medication you're on. As Poppy says, it's about how a disability affects your daily living &/or mobility the majority of the time.
    Once your daughter gets a copy of her assessment report, please do get back in touch to see if we can support you further.

Brightness