Weight loss thread - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Weight loss thread

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2020
    Hello @66Mustang   Thank you for sharing good to know.

Porridge maybe change to Organic sorts not expensive compared to supermarkets.

Only thing is doing research finding costs of items to help your budget and costs.

Health foods some of them too high in prices better to look at on line retailers small websites and good products.

I buy a lot of goods on line got very savvy with costs spending and it is being aware.

Please one bit advice I know is this freezer friendly or can I store it long time can I get cheaper else where.

No point just an example paying Pasta sauce ones we all love sky high prices in stores. If on line get bulk purchases and costs minimal.

If a product uses a lot. I had done this since been on line remember any purchases bulk buys are long term investment stock cupboards stores.

Means do not have to spend for months on those expensive essential just a minimal order of anything you need to run out of .

I added this because if your diet weight conscious your be looking at foods healthy .

Realise might be costing little more and might have to think about not completing your goals.

Does happen sorry to say.

I met people who have joined gyms, weight watchers spent money on kitchen equipment and foods costing a fortune after a while give up.

I had a former friend pay a trainer £90 a hour trust me had and  living in poverty needed to lose weight.

Had no money in debt and was being made to pay these high fees I arrived all changed.  Got rid of trainer and used other ways.

Showed her how to use the ways of shopping, the home the gym.  House work and stretches movement dancing to music CD's so one learns.

Not so just have to be savvy and make sensible practical choices organise plan meals.

Think of aims and goals be positive .

Happy to contribute and please anything you need to know.

Ask me have a wealth of knowledge expertise.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    edited April 2020
    Hello @OverlyAnxious   Sorry to hear this maybe try this way.

1. Buy Organic or good brands of Porridge as anything cheap ones packages boxes not good and not worth money.

2.  Method portion of half a cup Porridge to water full fat whole milk.  Or buy as they do abroad UHT milk Pasteurised and can store in cool place not fridge long lasting.

Buy French Brands on line  tastes like evaporated milk slight tang .

3.  Diced Apples or use dried in a microwave bowl  cover and microwave minutes two stir.

Leave standing.

4.  Remove add Greek Yoghurt Mixed Spices used for baking.

Has Cinnamon Cloves and so on, mix in stir in add top with honey.

5.  To this add Berries frozen defrosted Cherries, Blueberries, Blackberries.

6.  Not liking that one use any fruit you like done this with Prunes and Apples.

Apricots and Mixed Nuts add in Sultanas.  Other ones Pears and Walnuts.

7.  Love Muesli make your own  cheaper than supermarkets.

Portion of Porridge Oats Bran Flakes Apples Nuts used Mixed. Walnuts Hazel nuts dried sultanas .

All with Greek Yoghurt and Honey mixed spices.

All does two things helps stomach bowels and well being.

Other important also steady stream of energy and fills you up. I eat this and rarely eat a lunch .

Means saving money one meal less and means can spend more of money else where.

When I was had the misfortune to be alcoholic lived on Porridge and had used it help me recover, those days penniless but survived .

Eating a grain oats are the normal practice of most European Nations as it is cost effective .

All over the Mediterranean  a oats based cereal with nuts seeds and honey eaten reason they all live longer look healthy.

No heart disease or bowel cancer or any issues with bowel diseases.

Need I  say more .

@thespiceman  
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Just had a big BBQ but didn’t eat too much but also had some cake haha not good I know but need to have a little bit of what you like I guess.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @66Mustang not good to hear very disappointing.

I am aware mentioned not too much, how much is not much.

All BBQ and cakes out long list of no can not have.

I do believe if you wish to lose weight maybe need to forget it.

I just hope that you revaluate every thing.

First rule of diet healthy lifestyle is be strong and have the will power.

If necessary I this give food away that is fattening unhealthy neighbours friends extended family.

Start a fresh clean out fridge freezer.

Make plans diary and aims goals my concern as we get older susceptible to disease and health issues due to over weight and other ageing.

I eat healthy and had a bowel cancer scare found a polyp.

Had this removed but discussed after wards assessed health and any questions it was a positive result all clear.

Understand after that even more anxious about health, asked a while ago.

Long term issues is that result of addiction.

All I can say to you if you really want to lose weight and change your life the better.

I will add it is up to you the choices.

Unfortunately many do not have that choice find it is too late.

Met lots in hospital with all sorts of weight issues impacted bowels the most severe to life changing emotional conditions.

I tried to help and advise just do not think you have the conviction the heart to do this any of this.

Unless your have the attitude sorry to be critical have had weight issues had addiction health and diet.

If I can do it so can you.

Very tragic in my opinion.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • 66Mustang
    Hi @thespiceman I understand the cakes but why is a BBQ bad, it is just fresh meat and salad?
  • thespiceman
    Hello @66Mustang BBQ if it covered in sauce lots of sugar and salt and high concentrations of make it unhealthy.

Also BBQ Food is dangerous to do because the food is grilled the temperature high, first causes known cancer bearing enzymes chemicals causing toxins.

In the smoke and can cause problems stomach bowels.

High-rise rate of cancer in men and women in USA where places  have BBQ food all the time.

Please if your serious about losing weight has to start to become interested in looking at food and what why we eat the reasons the science.

Lots of books out there is just not the case of eating to lose weight the objective the main reason also is to understand food what is it and how does it work and maintain a health regime.

Long times doing this we have to think when we are eating and enjoying food.

Is that delicious is that helping me is that worth the pain to losing weight.

I need to explain that diet and all of the that are a marketing ploy.

What is important is you not me, I know my own mind and body.

In fact so much so when Doctors do a review consultations are between us and she listens to me not other way.

We come to a final understanding but is happy good patient taking care of himself.

That is the nub the big question do you want to take care of your weight issues and be responsive.

I know this meant not to be a lecture hope not never like that.

Understand seen this too many times caring.

BOOKS TO READ REGARDING DIET NUTRITION 

These can get on line AMAZON.

Some are old may be out of print but essential reading if you really wish to need to be taking this seriously.

Foods that Harm and Foods that Heal.  Reader Digest publications.

Food Doctor Diet Club 

By Doctor Ian Marber 

Series of books by Paul McKenna  hypnosis therapy weight loss lots of interesting facts science many titles some audio.

AMAZON have a list.

B.B.C does a series of cooking magazines all excellent food health talking about how to cook,nutrition cheap recipes.

Ideas and simple short cuts recipes.

Pay a sub each month  I have a few sent to me gives me inspiration and drive to make my own every thing.

Very simple once the mind gets stimulated.

One other B.B.C has a lot of websites lifestyle ones it is always a good idea to create a folder of notes ideas way plans to do food and keep for retention .

Another please have fun make it enjoyable food losing weight is making it pleasant happy this time for you.

Look at family support get them involved.

I do every Sunday food prep for the fridge.

Music be on later diced Carrots any veggies left over sauces.

Use this is the really easy bit all the ingredients in jars are dried and ready to sue so buy these on line , then anytime make sauces easy.

Come Monday your tired exhausted want something to eat got sauces made and can cook straight away..  Veggies done cook straight away.

In my fridge freezer all made ready to go anytime any part of the world. 

This week Indian and China recipes simple Curries cost nothing.

Better cheaper than take out make your own become lot cheaper and more nutritious.

Just some points raised hope you what ever you do look at seriously thinking about losing some weight if you do this right follow rules guidelines.

End of the day become a new person.  That is the achievable goal.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for the post @thespiceman .

I admire your commitment cutting bad foods out completely but in my opinion I think it is OK to have the odd treat as part of a healthy diet. I guess we need to agree to disagree there.

That said thank you for all the tips and advice, I will definitely be taking them on board, even if I can’t stick to as strict a diet as you!
  • thespiceman
    Hello @66Mustang   I wanted to add can and have odd treats but is how you make them.

Love Malt loaf few seconds Microwaved  with mix of Ricotta and Greek Yoghurt mixed together Cinnamon Honey.

Berry Yoghurt Ice cream with using frozen berries and Greek Yoghurt Honey.

Rice Pudding and Custard mix in to any tubs of Fromage Frais.

Cut up fruit in to any pieces Apples, Pears or use fruit bowl any stir in mix.

Fruit and used it any time into Pancakes with Ricotta Yoghurt.

All I am saying have my choice to eat this way have done so for since coming off addiction.

Not a diet but a lifestyle a difference.

Hope that makes your understand .

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    This is what worked for me personally

Try distraction methods. Whenever I feel slightly peckish, I tend to try to distract myself. For example, you could read a good book, sleep, take a shower, pray, listen to the radio, exercise, do a bit of housework, call or text a friend, reply to your emails, there are endless options really. What about painting? Or try origami. Another good way to keep busy is to write a story or do some gardening. Do not look at pictures of food either. Instead, leave the kitchen completely. Sit in your garden. Pick fruit from trees in your garden, weed the flower beds, water all the plants etc. 
    Hide all the bags of crisps, and snacks as well up high out of reach. Keep yourself active and busy. If you do feel hungry, then nibble slowly and carefully on a piece of fruit. Make a short list of goals. Try to do some kind of exercise each day if possible. Take a long walk each day. What are your hobbies and interests? Consider them too. Art is a good hobby to have. So is reading. If all else fails, wash your bike/car or offer to do some odd jobs for people living nearby like gardening, babysitting or food shopping. 
  • 66Mustang
    Many thanks @thespiceman that makes perfect sense. :)

Also thank you @April2018mom some brilliant advice there. 
  • Whatnext
    Whatnext Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    edited August 2020
    I lost 2stone 10lbs in 8 months by following the Slimming World diet.
    I cut out all fat and sugar, eating only lean meat and fresh fish, fresh fruit and veg, and sugar free/low sugar foods. Also cut out bread, down to two slices from a small loaf each day. Fill up on fresh fruit. 
    I found the secret is to eat home cooked food, not processed ready made food. 
    Main meal plate should hold at least 3/4 fresh veg, small portion of carbs, ie, rice, potato or pasta, and a portion of lean meat.
    Cut down on dairy products such as cheese and use semi skimmed milk, 200ml per day.
    No alcohol, drink sugar free drinks or water. 
    No bought cakes, no sweets. 
    If you do it right you won't feel hungry so there's no need to snack. 

There are lots of Slimming World recipes online, you do not need to join a group. 
    Hope this helps. 

• 66Mustang
    @Whatnext wow that is an impressive amount of weight loss, well done. Thank you for the tips as well.

I’m now up to 1 stone and 12 pounds lost so I’ve averaged about 1 pound lost per week.

As you say I have done it by cutting down on snacks and alcohol. I still enjoy a little bit but I have cut down a lot - the snacks by about 90% and the alcohol about 75%. I also cut down on cheese as you mentioned but I do have a glass of semi-skimmed milk a couple of times a week.

• Whatnext
    Whatnext Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    edited August 2020
    Sounds like you've got it covered @66Mustang. Well done on your weight loss journey so far. You're doing great.  :)
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Hi Everyone
    In April 2019 I weighed 17stone 4lbs it shocked me and so I started losing weight and now I weigh 12stone 2lbs.
    I still can't believe I lost over 5stone. It took time, a lot of time, but I never thought of myself being on a diet.
    My secret? There isn't one. Never stopped eating the food I liked just kept to eating 3 times a day. Breakfast lunch dinner, but reduced the amount and ate fruit. I did reduced the beer and I have never been a snacker, I very rarely eat chocolate, never have and don't have a sweet tooth.
    It's hard to give advice, mine would be, don't think as yourself as being on a diet, don't set targets, only weigh yourself once a week at the same time and don't expect too much too soon. If when you weigh yourself you weigh the same as the week before, look at it as a victory not a defeat.
    I think what I'm trying to say is change your mind set from being on a diet to living a little different and slowly, slowly catch a monkey.

• 66Mustang
    @Dragonslayer

Well done on losing that much weight. :)  I think you have summed it up nicely, that you can continue eating nice things but in moderation.

Like you I also don’t have a sweet tooth and had no issue cutting out sweets/biscuits/chocolate. I think my main “sins” were cheese and biscuits in the evening, alcohol, and snacks. Cutting down all of those helped a lot.

I think you are right that slowly is the best way to lose weight. A few years ago I lost around 1/3 of my body weight very quickly due to not being able to eat and I very quickly put it all back on again, this time it seems to be staying off though.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done @Whatnext and @Dragonslayer on your weight loss.  Some impressive work there!

My guilty pleasure is chocolate digestives.  I've swapped to dark chocolate ones as they are slightly healthier :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    Well done losing weight its not an easy thing to achieve. 
    I watch various programs and one my wife and I watch now is called my 600lb life . It follows a yr in the life of Americans who weigh 600lb or more and their fight to get down too a healthy weight with the help of a dr called Dr Nowazardan. Or Now for short.
    I've put up pics of some of his 1200 cal a day diets with others not his...hope I haven't offended anyone by posting this I'm just hoping the diets may help . My wife and I have lost around 2 stone together and now she loves her new dresses and I can fit into a smaller size in jeans etc.
    Best Wishes 
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @male45 that is really interesting.
  • 66Mustang
    edited August 2020
    My guilty pleasure is chocolate digestives.  I've swapped to dark chocolate ones as they are slightly healthier :D
    Ha ha that reminds me of a rock star who used to drink a bottle of Jack Daniels a day mixed with Coke. One day he switched to mixing it with orange juice instead because it was healthier!

I can’t remember who it was now, maybe someone can tell me.
  • male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    @66Mustang
    Thank you mustang 
    Hopefully they help someone.
    Best Wishes 

Brightness