Still haven't heard anything from PIP - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Still haven't heard anything from PIP

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    Hi @sandyxxx - Just to clarify a few things:
    - firstly the assessors are trained to understand your functional disability, i.e. how does your disability affects your daily living activities, & or mobility
    - you will not necessarily meet an assessor that knows all about your disability.....they don't need to, but rather understand about how any disability affects your function, as mentioned above.
    - speaking as a physiotherapist (altho I trained a long time ago), I did spend 3 & a half years learning as much anatomy & physiology as a medical Dr. I received further training in many fields of disability; rheumatology, neurology, orthopaedics, etc. So, altho I couldn't know everything about every condition, physios do actually know quite a lot about specific disabilities, so I politely disagree with @janer1967 on that aspect, otherwise she is correct that it's not about your diagnosis, but how your disability affects you.
    - Any worsening of your condition cannot be taken into account, nor future visits with a consultant.
    - It's usually worthwhile seeing where your current claim takes you first, & I hope all goes well. :)
  • sandyxxx
    sandyxxx Community member Posts: 99 Courageous
    Awe thank you for the information it is a lot to take in. If my claim comes back were Im not entitled to anything I don't think I would go through it again.like I said before I feel as though I'm begging it's not a very nice feeling. But we will see what happens x

• Lou67
    Lou67 Community member Posts: 6,622 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi@sandyxxx. Hi hope your well this morning, I understand how frustrated you are but please don’t give up, if it doesn’t go your way as you say your health is deteriorating, it’s not fair we have to fight for our benefits, I’m currently waiting on word back from my mandatory reconsideration, but will probably need to appeal as not many MR decisions change, but hopefully you’ll get yours after your assessment good luck. 
  • sandyxxx
    Thank you I hope your claim goes the way you want it. This is the first claim I have put in for. I have been told that I can claim other benefits like benefits for the blind or partially sighted but if its  anything like this one I'm not going to put in for them. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds sorry I did not mean to offend 

I was by no means putting down physio or any profession I was just pointing out that assessors are not assigned to claimants based on knowledge of their individual disability .

I know only too well how knowledgeable physio are in their field and their expertise. My own team of physio supported me both physically and emotionally through a very difficult time and they are an absolute asset to the medical profession 

Sorry I didnt mean any offence to anyone 
  • Lou67
    Hi@sandyxxx  I’m sorry I don’t no anything about the benefits for the blind or partially sighted sorry but I’m sure one of the other members will know and get back to you @Adrian_Scope could you maybe help here thanks. 
  • katho31
    katho31 Posts: 692 Pioneering
    sandyxxx said:
    Awe thank you for the information it is a lot to take in. If my claim comes back were Im not entitled to anything I don't think I would go through it again.like I said before I feel as though I'm begging it's not a very nice feeling. But we will see what happens x

hi @s@sandyxxx really want to wish you well and hope you get what you rightly deserve, its extremely stressful and does take a lot out of you ie; anxiety/low mood. dont give up, we are all here for you
  • sandyxxx
    Thank you all ❤️ I think I would have gave up before now if it wasn't for you lovely people giving me advice xx
  • janer1967
    Hi @sandyxxx

The only other benefits I am aware of for the blind is the blind persons allowance which allows you to earn additional earnings before you pay tax . I think you also dont have to pay for tv license and can get grants towards technical equipment .

Other people may know of more 
  • janer1967
    Just checked it is 50% reduction for tv license for registered blind or severely impaired there is no reduction for sight impaired only 
  • katho31
    Lou67 said:
    Hi@sandyxxx  I’m sorry I don’t no anything about the benefits for the blind or partially sighted sorry but I’m sure one of the other members will know and get back to you @Adrian_Scope could you maybe help here thanks. 
    hi @Lou67, how are you today? ive had a very good nights sleep last night, first time in a week  :)
  • Lou67
    Hi@kath31 Aww that’s great I feel if you can get a decent sleep at least you can cope a bit better through the day, oh I’m ok just trying to get my breath back was down throwing out old coats and **** Iv accumulated lol the stairs kill me hopefully be able to move to my new flat this week. 
  • katho31
    aww, i didnt know you were moving? yes stairs are a nightmare, i could quite easily live in a static caravan  :)

• Lou67
    Aw sorry though I had sd, I was due to move 2 days after we went into lockdown so wasn’t able to, I’m currently in a private let I eventually got a house from housing association that is much better for me, it is still one up but only a small flight of stairs, I’m currently 3 flights up and most days is a nightmare so I only go out when I really need to. Sorry Iv ranted on again lol. 
  • sandyxxx
    Thanks that’s what I was told about the tv licence. Hopefully I get some news in the next couple of weeks. Is it true after you have your assessment you have to wait another 8 weeks before you get a decision? X
  • janer1967
    @sandyxxx you do have to wait for decision 

Approx a week after your assessment you can ring and ask for a copy of your report this will give you some indication of points scored. It isnt the final decision but in most cases they go with the report 

You then need to wait for decision letter again this could be either less or more than 8 weeks depending on workload at DWP
  • sandyxxx
    Ah thanks for letting me know xx
  • sandyxxx
    Well had my assessment phone call yesterday after they had a cancellation so it's a waiting game again but at least is moving on XXX
  • Lou67
    @sandyxxx. Oh glad to hear youv had your assessment hope it went well, fingers crossed for you that you get a positive out come ?
  • katho31
    hi @Lou67, i hope i havent upset you?
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.