Help for my 20-year-old son who won't leave the house — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help for my 20-year-old son who won't leave the house

LollieK
LollieK Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited June 2020 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi I'm after advice on my 20 yr old adopted son who has mental health/ anxiety issues and won't leave the house to get any help! He left school aged 14  as wouldn't go out. He's been under CAMHS until 18 but now won't go out at all! I suspect he is on the autistic spectrum as does have traits but he feeling highly anxious and hates his looks etc but I can't get him to engage with anyone! I feel so helpless that I can't do more! I've read posts about others with adult children of similar ages who won't go out and it made me feel less alone with this. But I desperately want to help him more? I always say the wrong things and walk on eggshells at home! 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LollieK

Welcome it’s great to meet you this morning.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/families-with-disabled-children/

I do hope that this is okay please please come back to me if you need any further help/support !!!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LollieK - & welcome to the community. It's good you've read about others with similar problems. Your son is likely OK, just as a parent you feel things would 'normally' be different. You're doing incredibly well too, as it can't be easy, but you're obviously doing the very best you possibly can. However, this is obviously causing you more than a little distress, & I wonder if you receive any support? Does your GP help both you & your son? Would you consider contacting the National Autistic Society for some additional support? Please see: https://www.autism.org.uk/
    Young Minds may also be a helpful resource : https://youngminds.org.uk/
    Please know we are all here to help you as much as we can even tho just offering support. Please do use this forum to talk here any time, & let us know how you're both doing. :)

• phillycollings29
    phillycollings29 Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
    A warm welcome @LollieK
    So sorry to read your post.  Incredibly hard for you both.  Some fabulous advice above and hope you are able to tap in it.  Wishing you the very best. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2020
    A very warm welcome to the community @LollieK! It sounds like things have been really difficult. How has he found lockdown? 

Here is some information about adult life from the National Autistic Society and how to get a diagnosis as an adult.

I hope others will be able to share their experiences with you. If you have any questions then please do let us know. :) 
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LollieK Welcome to the community, I have a 13 year old who doesn't leave the house much and he doesnt have any disabilities. It just seems to be the normal these days with gaming and technology all they want to do is stay in.

Lockdown hasnt helped with no school and not being able to go out .

I know lots of parents have the same concerns gone are the days when we went out every opportunity we could
  • zebastian
    zebastian Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Increasingly, we are a symptom of the age. You are not alone. 'Asperger teams' are the trend but it is not enough. We have to find community amongst ourselves. The 'specialness' of having a diagnosis can be just another difficulty to overcome. Life is humbling in so many ways for us 'aspies'...a very steep learning curve but we must persevere.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @zebastian. :)
    Scope

• Davina20
    Davina20 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    LollieK

only finding your post and I can so relate.  Have you any improvement?  My son 20 and I’m hoping things will change soon for his own sake.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Davina20 said:
    LollieK

only finding your post and I can so relate.  Have you any improvement?  My son 20 and I’m hoping things will change soon for his own sake.  

This is an old thread you've posted on and the member hasn't been active since Dec 2021 so you may not get a reply.

Have you taken your son to speak to your GP because they will be able to refer him for some help and support. (if he agrees)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Davina20

I see my colleague Alex responded to your thread about your son and I wondered if any of the advice helped?
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness