PTSD - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PTSD

13»

Comments

• Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Not any tips, but it's just good speaking to people with the same experience as me - someone literally has exactly the same thing as me in social situations. They say I'm not inconsistent with DID, so that was validating in itself, because it was like oh I'm not making this split identity up? I think it kinda made me more confident about my symptoms because it's really easy to doubt myself. I'm saying this about DID on a PTSD thread...oops. Hopefully he won't mind ><
    Will do. The trauma centre seem pretty on it and quick to react (like within a few days) so I know when they get it they'll set up an appt pretty quickly. But the GP ugh she's usually better than this. I can understand how busy they are at the moment though
    Oooh I could do, it's not much though. I can't draw but I can do patterns.
    Technically it's on experience and perception, and how it relates to how we experience mental illness, especially reality/unreality in schizophrenia. Hehehe I will do my best
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sure he won't mind @Francis_theythem! That all sounds really positive and validating. 

It's good that they're quick to react. I'm sure it's on her list, fingers crossed she'll get round to it ASAP.

Go for it :) Patterns are cool. 

That's so interesting! I hope you enjoy it.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    Have you heard anything yet @Francis_theythem?

• Francis_theythem
    They literally just contacted me this afternoon! I have an appointment with a senior psychologist on 15th October!! Yaaaaaay
  • Tori_Scope
    Yesss @Francis_theythem! That has brightened a rather wet and dreary Wednesday. Well done for persisting.

• Francis_theythem
    Hehe xD I was a little anxiety shaken after that conversation though but that was because it was by phone. Also good news is that my uni dept decided to start a mentoring program and I got my mentees names and contact info today! Will be starting soooon, I'm excited about getting to mentor people.
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    I hear some ppl had to go all the way to a war-torn country to get PTSD.
    Sorry i really don't know what you mean??? I was 1st Diagnosed with ptsd aged 3. After a burn. Then again when I was 30 after a trauma. You don't have to go to war. It's horrible. Take care ? Will 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I really hope it goes well @Francis_theythem! You'll have to let us know how you get on. :)

Thank you for sharing this @Parrot123. :)
    Scope

• Tori_Scope
    That's a success in itself @Francis_theythem!

What a great programme, sounds really good :) 

• Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry you went through that @Parrot123. You're right that PTSD can be caused by many different events, not just war.

• Francis_theythem
    This is something that I've been struggling with - trauma disorders don't have to come from what others may see as not "bad enough". Like the war stereotype. In my case though it's about me telling myself that I can't possibly have an identity split because I didn't have "bad enough" childhood adverse experiences - mine were just that I was completely overwhelmed by all social situations that made me dissociate and caused enough stress/pressure to make me have different selves that front in different circumstances (anxious, social, dependent child). And the common thing in my (suspected) disorder is that only severe repetitive child abuse/neglect can cause it. Yet I have the same symptoms nonetheless.
    So it's about how we as individuals at that moment reacted to some thing. Not that this certain thing happened and this is the only way to develop ptsd/osdd/did. That's how I look at it.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Francis_theythem, your symptoms are just as valid, and of course still have a big impact on you. I imagine it is really frustrating to not be believed.

Emotions are extremely powerful and can have a lasting impact. Like you say, it is a very individual experience and we all can react to the same situation differently, but that is not our fault. 

I hope you are doing okay this morning. :) 
    Scope

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    I agree with the comments about the causes of PTSD.

As I have mentioned previously, I got PTSD just because I wanted to go to work.  I was bullied and harassed for many years by one person in work. One of the main problems which I have is trying to explain to others about my mental health because many people just expect me "to move on." 

Brightness