School websites... are they user friendly? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

School websites... are they user friendly?

3randon
3randon Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hello everyone. I hope it's okay to post this on here. 

I'm Brandon, an in-house web manager for a trust that has 30 schools, and I am writing a report on how I can improve our school websites for accessibility. I really want my school websites to lead the way in usability for accessible users. 

It would be great to know your struggles when looking at school or other educational websites. My concerns are many school websites upload vital information on a PDF not on the site itself. Also websites not showing up in the 'browsers reader view', this is something I use a lot. 

Thanks, everyone :)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good topic I use my sons website but find it very difficult as I am sight impaired I dont know a solution but I feel secondary schools due to bigger size do not have much in the way of helping disabled parents more able to support their kids education
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I would have thought that a trust that runs 30 schools could afford to employ someone who is an expert in this field, I'm sure there are many computer experts looking for work ATM.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @3randon Scope have been working on a project called 'The Big Hack' which aims to help digital services become more accessible to disabled people.  I think you would find the resources on the website helpful for the work you are doing, they really help inform my way of thinking!  

For more information visit the Big Hack website.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 3randon
    janer1967 said:
    Good topic I use my sons website but find it very difficult as I am sight impaired I dont know a solution but I feel secondary schools due to bigger size do not have much in the way of helping disabled parents more able to support their kids education
    Thank's @janer1967
    :)
  • 3randon
    woodbine said:
    I would have thought that a trust that runs 30 schools could afford to employ someone who is an expert in this field, I'm sure there are many computer experts looking for work ATM.
    Hi @woodbine

We do have outside help, but I really want to hear from real users to have issues to see what they experiance. :smile:

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.