Boris Johnson televised Coronavirus update (04/01/2021) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Boris Johnson televised Coronavirus update (04/01/2021)

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited January 2021 in Coffee lounge

Any new measures would tackle the rise in cases, "protect the NHS and save lives", Downing Street said.

It comes as Scotland announced a legal requirement to stay at home from midnight, with schools to be closed.

The House of Commons will also be recalled, allowing MPs to vote on any new measures on Wednesday.

Mr Johnson will set out plans for England as the UK's devolved nations have the power to set their own coronavirus regulations.

Alongside Scotland, both Wales and Northern Ireland have also implemented national restrictions.

The PM earlier said there was "no question" the government would announce stricter measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    If they put South Yorkshire in Tier 4 BoJo the Clown can sod right off.

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope Boris implements the same as Scotland. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • [Deleted User]
    No, no and did I mention, no?! No Tier 4 down here in South Yorkshire, for the love of all that is Holy, PLEASE!

• Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    I believe it will be a strict lockdown. Now needed due to those fools who are still saying covid does not exist and have been ignoring all the rules.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Ami2301 said:
    I hope Boris implements the same as Scotland. 

Scotland have already announced their lockdown and all schools are to remain closed. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55531069

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2021
    No, no and did I mention, no?! No Tier 4 down here in South Yorkshire, for the love of all that is Holy, PLEASE!

I wouldn't hold out any hopes of that. I can see a full lockdown from midnight tonight for the whole of England.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Ami2301
    He needs to do the right thing, once and for all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Ami2301 said:
    Yeah, resign!

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    The only thing that will work now in the short and medium term is a total lockdown across England not much point in anything else with Scotland and Wales going ahead.
    Any changes won't come into force until midnight on Wednesday as he has re-called parliament so they I assume can have a vote on new measures.
    The big problem is that the NHS is almost at breaking point and we are about to see an upsurge in new cases following the relaxation of the rules at Christmas and we have to assume that too many people did their own thing at new year as well.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• woodbine

We live 3 miles from the republic of south yorkshire and we are in tier 4, so its utter madness that an area the size of S.Y. is in tier 3

• [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:
    The only thing that will work now in the short and medium term is a total lockdown across England not much point in anything else with Scotland and Wales going ahead.
    Any changes won't come into force until midnight on Wednesday as he has re-called parliament so they I assume can have a vote on new measures.
    The big problem is that the NHS is almost at breaking point and we are about to see an upsurge in new cases following the relaxation of the rules at Christmas and we have to assume that too many people did their own thing at new year as well.
    And that's what annoys me, I know they reduced the Christmas rule relaxation to just Christmas Day from 5 days, but even that was a bad idea IMO.

• woodbine
    woodbine said:
    And that's what annoys me, I know they reduced the Christmas rule relaxation to just Christmas Day from 5 days, but even that was a bad idea IMO.

The problem they had was that they knew if they didn't relax the rules people would still want to see their families on xmas day, we didn't did you ?

• [Deleted User]
    woodbine said:
    woodbine said:

The problem they had was that they knew if they didn't relax the rules people would still want to see their families on xmas day, we didn't did you ?
    My Uncle and his partner came to us for the Christmas meal and stayed till late evening.

Under normal circumstances we'd have gone to them for the evening meal on Boxing Day but we couldn't.

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 said:
    Yeah, resign!

While I don't agree with some of his actions, he needs to do the right thing by putting the people's health first. If he resigned, right now in the midst of a global pandemic, how would that help? 

I don't understand why there is such an issue with the concept of going into another lockdown, a national one. Surely we need to look at the bigger picture, that our health comes first.

Boris is doing his best to please everyone, which is ultimately impossible.
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2021
    Just heard on the BBC news that a new lockdown will be announced tonight, with Boris announcing the full rules.

• [Deleted User]
    Ami2301 said:
    Ami2301 said:
    Yeah, resign!

While I don't agree with some of his actions, he needs to do the right thing by putting the people's health first. If he resigned, right now in the midst of a global pandemic, how would that help? 

I don't understand why there is such an issue with the concept of going into another lockdown, a national one. Surely we need to look at the bigger picture, that our health comes first.

I don't really do Politics, but I just think Boris has been a poor PM who made even Theresa May look good.

That Kier Starmer bloke's not much but I reckon even he'd be a better PM at the moment.

• woodbine
    Ami2301 said:
    Ami2301 said:
    Yeah, resign!

I don't really do Politics, but I just think Boris has been a poor PM who made even Theresa May look good.

That Kier Starmer bloke's not much but I reckon even he'd be a better PM at the moment.

That's a relief lol, Boris is doing an impossible job in extremely difficult times, I think you should always give credit where it's due. You'd better get used to Boris as PM as he quietly announced at the weekend that he will lead his party into the 2024 election, Starmer is just a caretaker leader.
    The one thing we should all strive to do is to be positive, these are challenging times for all of us, but unlike the lockdown in March we now have hope in the form of two vaccines.
    We can get through this we, will get through this, we need to stand side by side not carping from the sidelines.

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I completely agree with a total lockdown for England. I wouldn't like to be in any PM's shoes; can only say whomever it might have been, they would have needed to be guided by the scientists. This isn't a time for party politics, rather do what's best for the country.....the people, the NHS & key workers, & stop this awful loss of life.
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hi @Ross_Scope,

I won’t be surprised if another national lockdown is announced because as I have said many times, there are too many people who ignore the rules. Customers and staff in independent shops don’t wear face coverings or social distance. Patients in the outpatients departments in hospital lower their masks under their nose or chin as soon as they get inside. I no longer go to the local shops because it’s not safe because the owners care more about money than the safety of their customers. 
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    I have sat in traffic in my car and seen so many people just walk into a shop with no face covering. 

I have gone to get petrol and most of the customers don’t wear a mask when they go into the shop part to pay. I seen employees in Tesco, BP and Esso petrol stations in the shop part not wearing a face covering. 

Brightness