Newby On The block — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Newby On The block

Options
MarysWorld
MarysWorld Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone.  I think I posted this in the wrong place for being new here.  So I'm going to post it here as well.

Hi to all here at this forum and website.  I'm glad to be here to chat and post in the forums. I've been suffering for years with health issues.  Most recently I was diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis.  I also have pelvic floor dysfunction, asthma, fibromyalgia, reynauds, bone spurs along my spine and neck bone, and some depression from dealing with all the health issues.  I've been divorced for 6 years and recently my father passed away from Alzhiemers.  On top of that I live with my mom and help her out as much as I'm able too.  She is in her late 80s and really needs help in many area's of her life.  I have severe pain most of the time and have had a ton of back issues since before I retired from teaching.  I love to chat and meet new people.  I do crafts, color detailed pics, do diamond paintings, and make jewelry as well as love to cook, read, listen to music and enjoy the great outdoors when I'm able too.  Right now I am currently trying to manage my pain with out having to take pain meds.  I am looking forward to meeting new people here and posting in the forums.  Since I am new here it may take me a while to get used to all this.  So bear with me as I navigate my way around. I was wondering if there is a live chat room here?  That is something I really like to do and it helps me feel better when I am able to live chat with like people.  I guess I will look around and see what I can find out and learn from being a newby.  Thanks for the website here and I look forward to becoming more involved as time passes.  Have a safe and healthy life everyone.  Cya all on the flipside.  Hugssssss to all.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome glad you gave joined 

We dont have a live chat function but there is usually people around 

You may like to start in the coffee lounge for general posts 

Would it be possible to get some care for your mum to help you as well you can do a self referral for care needs assessment on the gov website 

I would like to do diamond painting but I have very limited vision so dont think I could do it 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MarysWorld and welcome to the community. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MarysWorld - welcome to the community & thank you for joining. I hope you're enjoying the weekend, & doubtless some of your hobbies. We've had someone else mention diamond paintings, which sound intriguing. You may like to have a look at some other members crafts & art here: https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/41283/kaleidoscope-our-own-gallery-for-members-art-work-crafts-and-photographs    & it would be great to see some of your work there too. If you do, I hope you add one of your diamond paintings. :)

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @MarysWorld

Wishing you a very warm welcome to the community, I hope you're well today.

It sounds like you do a fabulous job for your mum, but it must be very strenuous at the same time. As mentioned above, have you looked into having a local authroity needs assessment? This would help determine what support could be put in place for you both.

I hope you and your mum are currently receiving all the support you need from your GP, please ensure you speak with them if there is something you need further help with :) 

We don't have a live chat function on the community, but we have a wide variety of categories and discussions that you can get involved with, as well as a direct message function. If you have any questions about the site don't hesitate to ask.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome - it sounds as if you are coping brilliantly.  But I wonder if I can help at all?  My name is Verite and Scope have asked me to write a monthly cookery column - with a difference.  The difference being that my recipes are 'forgiving'.  i.e if you have to break off in the middle.  Or you haven't time to finish them in one go, etc.  You can leave them to one side and start again later - or even the next day.  Hope they might be useful, and let me know how you get on.  Verite

1119082 Posts: 258 Courageous
    edited February 2021
    Options
    My name is Masuma (Removed by moderator, full name) Hi there 
    Options
    Options
    How are you feeling Vertie
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    Options
    I am thinking about what to cook for next month.  Someone has sent me a press release about a very fiery chili sauce - so I've asked tor a sample, as it might be useful for jazzing up my recipes!  We shall see!

Brightness