Hello. I have CP and am studying for an MA, alongside running a small business — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello. I have CP and am studying for an MA, alongside running a small business

nandbkieren
nandbkieren Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited September 2021 in Start here and say hello!
Hey, just posting to say hello.

My names Kieren I am 39 years old from Rugby, Warwickshire and have had CP since birth. Currently studying a part time MA in Criminology as well as on the side setting up a small business that will hopefully aid in the reporting of disability hate crime in my home town because currently there is nothing like that there or for across Warwickshire. I have to tell you now that I have had a couple of experiences recently that would make your hair stand on end but I hae just had enough of this. Never expected at the age of nearly 40 I would still have to put up with it but there we are. Still, onwards and upwards.

Kieren

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Good for you getting involved and hopefully helping others 

I did a diploma in criminology and criminal psychology last year nowhere near your level but I did enjoy it 
  • nandbkieren
    Thank you. I believe it's been posted by Rich somwhere else on the site but this is the kind of thing that still happens to me. Now, I can either just sit there and take it or try and do something about it. I had just had enough tbh with you. They will not break me. Feeling a bit better now.

Kieren

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nandbkieren and a warm welcome to our community, how are you today?

I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences of hate crime.  That people still use disablist, offensive phrases is beyond me and good for you on speaking up about it, and reporting to the police.

Your MA in Criminology sounds fascinating.  Are you at the dissertation stage yet, or do you have any plans on what your research will be oriented around?  

I'm looking forward to seeing you about more and hope you have a fab Thursday.  Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nandbkieren - & welcome to the community from me also. I had read the article, & am so sorry for what you suffered; absolutely unbelievable. There are more good people out there than bad, but sometimes the bad ones stand out more, unfortunately. My best wishes for both of your endeavours. :)
  • nandbkieren
    Hi @Cher_Scope looking to DM you cos i've got some points i'd like to raise, ideas and such that I'd really like to tell you about. But it's unclear how you DM people on this system. Can you please DM me? Thank you for your kind words and have a great day. Kieren :)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nandbkieren

You need 25 points to PM people and you collect points via interactions and contributions to the community :) At the moment you have 16 so it shouldn't be too long before you can PM!

I'm on maternity leave from tomorrow, but your ideas are something we'd love to hear about so in my absence please email the team at community@scope.org.uk to discuss things some more.

Thanks for wanting to get involved!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Behi
    Behi Community member Posts: 35 Connected
    Hey, just posting to say hello.

My names Kieren I am 39 years old from Rugby, Warwickshire and have had CP since birth. Currently studying a part time MA in Criminology as well as on the side setting up a small business that will hopefully aid in the reporting of disability hate crime in my home town because currently there is nothing like that there or for across Warwickshire. I have to tell you now that I have had a couple of experiences recently that would make your hair stand on end but I hae just had enough of this. Never expected at the age of nearly 40 I would still have to put up with it but there we are. Still, onwards and upwards.

Kieren
    Hi kieren, 
    How are you? 
    I'm just wanna to say good luck with the small business, and feel sorry for the bad experience you had, I know what you're saying cause I'm almost 23 years old and have Cp, and still are dealing with people words. And I see sometimes it just hard to say things one thing over and over.
    Wish you the best

Brightness